Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Question Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children
My daughter is 9 and as a family we have been addressing some apathy, honesty, and effort issues in therapy for approximately 7 months. Generally the therapist wants dad and I in the room with her when we meet as it is a family issue. She is academically advanced and emotionally behind. I am not a fan of medication for children if problems can be addressed and solved without it. Many children may need medication however we want to do our best to get down to the bottom of the issue before she is forced to take medication. So please don't see this as a post about the validity of medication on behavioral issues. That being said (typed), the only time the therapist did meet with our daughter alone, she stated that he brought up being good because God is watching, doesn't she want to go to heaven, and the Bible tells us we need to obey our parents, etc, etc. She also stated that when she stated that she doesn't believe in anything like that, he told her she needed to read the Bible and learn about God. When I came in the room he said something to the effect of he still wasn't sure why she was acting out but we can continue to see how to break her of the issues. I didn't say anything immediately but we have had less appointments because I feel like he crossed a line. Some of the information he has given has helped. Is it okay for us to seek another therapist? If so, should I ask ahead of the appointment if the person's religious beliefs will be part of the therapy? Do I start with we are a humanist family....? I have so many questions, I look forward to your responses. Also, if there are any threads I missed about this topic please link them.
Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2012, 01:11 PM
RE: Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children
Hey there, Welcome.
I know I'd be super uncomfortable seeing a Christian therapist, which it looks like you've found.
Check out this website if you'd like help finding a therapist who doesn't use woo in treatment.
http://www.seculartherapy.org/

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
13-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Thumbs Up RE: Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children
(13-12-2012 01:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thanks for the link! I will check it out and hopefully they take my insurance
13-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Sad RE: Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children
(13-12-2012 01:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Well, no luck within the 200 mile radius. I will keep checking back though.
13-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Perhaps you can ask your therapist for recommendations for other therapists in your network and send out emails asking them about their techniques and the secular or non-secular nature of them and then make a better selection.

If the guy is a professional, then he shouldn't take offense to this inquiry and should want to help put you in contact with someone who can better serve you. No therapist should use religion as a tactic (save those that openly advertise otherwise).

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2012, 01:49 PM
(13-12-2012 01:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Thanks, TheBeardedDude. I am somewhat intimidated by him, so this will be difficult for me; however, my daughter is worth it.
13-12-2012, 01:50 PM
If you feel intimidated by a therapist, he can't be a very good one.

Evolve
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Absolutely go to another therapist. When I was in school to be a child and youth councillor there were other students who, when we were learning certain type of therapy, they would out right say they were not going to use it because it seemed devil influenced and against their religion. To me, this is preventing techniques that could be *the* ticket to helping someone since everyone is different and responds differently to different types of therapy.

However you find your new therapist, you should give a courtesy call/email to let your former therapist know exactly why. It is helpful for the therapist to know so they can attract the right clients for them and refer others. It seems to be a golden rule where I live that if a therapist is unable to help someone for whatever reason (personality conflict/religion/strikes a cord or whatever) then they should recognize this and refer or get some outside help of some kind from other co-workers/partners.

Good luck! I hope you find a great match.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
13-12-2012, 02:00 PM
(13-12-2012 01:50 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You may be right. I think it may also be my insecurity with authority, self-doubt, and guilt that I learned early with my Christian indoctrination.
13-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Maybe, but a therapist should be accommodating, inviting, and make you feel comfortable to talk about anything. Someone who seems to encourage you to shy away from topics is not being a therapist, they are being a passive-aggressive bully.

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post