Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2012, 05:27 AM
RE: Therapists Using Religion in Session with Children
(24-12-2012 09:34 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  Therapists? They don't know what they are doing.

As you don't seem to be the most popular member here [/ironic understatement], I guess I'm not going to make many friends by agreeing with you...
What surprises me is that this a forum where critical thinking is upheld as a virtue, yet almost nobody seems to see the irony in asking a therapist to interpret what they are thinking !
To the OP : Don't "shop around" for a therapist (ie. keep changing until you find one that says what you want them to say !), start thinking for yourself, talk about your "issues" within your family group only. Certainly don't consider putting a young child on medication for anything other than a serious MEDICAL condition !

You all talk about having a therapist like it's like having a dentist. Get real, only dangerously mentally ill people need doctors trying to understand their thought processes !
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2012, 07:52 AM
(29-12-2012 05:27 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 09:34 AM)namiloveyou Wrote:  Therapists? They don't know what they are doing.

As you don't seem to be the most popular member here [/ironic understatement], I guess I'm not going to make many friends by agreeing with you...
What surprises me is that this a forum where critical thinking is upheld as a virtue, yet almost nobody seems to see the irony in asking a therapist to interpret what they are thinking !
To the OP : Don't "shop around" for a therapist (ie. keep changing until you find one that says what you want them to say !), start thinking for yourself, talk about your "issues" within your family group only. Certainly don't consider putting a young child on medication for anything other than a serious MEDICAL condition !

You all talk about having a therapist like it's like having a dentist. Get real, only dangerously mentally ill people need doctors trying to understand their thought processes !
An effective therapists guides the patient to the answers already within the patient. A therapist lights the way for the patient, helps clarify his/her thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-12-2012, 07:57 AM
(29-12-2012 05:27 AM)Idlecuriosity Wrote:  Get real, only dangerously mentally ill people need doctors trying to understand their thought processes !
And only people with rotten teeth need to go to the dentist.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-12-2012, 10:26 AM
There is a huge range of therapies and therapists. Charlatans, yes: some are useless and unnecessary. However, some therapists are, literally, life-savers.
They don't tell you what to think, or replace communication within the family. They facilitate communication, so the families can stop yelling and start hearing one another. For a start.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
29-12-2012, 10:49 AM
(29-12-2012 10:26 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  There is a huge range of therapies and therapists. Charlatans, yes: some are useless and unnecessary. However, some therapists are, literally, life-savers.
They don't tell you what to think, or replace communication within the family. They facilitate communication, so the families can stop yelling and start hearing one another. For a start.
Well yes, someone who is suicidal is in a dangerous mental situation and could therefore benefit from discussion with an appropriate therapist. The post in question relates to a 9 year old having some "apathy, honesty and effort issues". That doesn't sound particularly life threatening, nor a reason for a break down of communication in the family unit. Going into therapy, lasting months, seems entirely over reacting to what might well be just a natural phase of this girl growing up. I don't know, because there isn't enough detail in the post to determine the seriousness of the situation, however the tone of the post doesn't convey the type of drama that might require medical assistance.
What surprises me is that the majority of responders seem to consider therapy as an everyday occurence. Must be a cultural difference...
Also, that the OP seems to consider that her daughter being "forced to take medication" is a reasonable next step. Administering mind altering drugs to a 9 year old seems a little severe for "apathy, honesty and effort issues".
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
My daughter isn't a physical threat to herself or anyone
else. She isn't planning to take over the world or anything diabolical. She is
however, getting D's and F's in subjects she can speak volumes on and has
tested highly on in non-traditional classroom settings; had said "I can't
believe she doesn't know an 8th grade spelling word" regarding her teacher
typing "mathematics" incorrectly on the whiteboard and was shocked
when the teacher wanted to her to discuss it with me because she was talking to
herself just “out-loud;” has forged my signature on papers I get back from the
teacher at the end of the quarter anyway; cries at the drop of a hat when
questioned about her feelings even gently; constantly tells me she feels alone
and "different in her brain" than other people but can't explain it;
we spend more quality time together than ever before and she almost immediately
starts talking back when we are finished with the activity, game or
conversation; says she hates school except her Advanced classes but she says
she intentionally failed the test to go to an advanced school in our district
because her friend isn’t “smart enough” to go and “there’s just more homework”
not more learning; lies about homework and assignments even though we have a
routine of looking through her back pack after the after-school snack and
violin practice and her teacher sends an email of homework each day to those
subscribed to their class blog; she will stand in the shower pretending to take
one (same with brushing her teeth) for 20 minutes instead of actually doing it;
cry, grit her teeth, yell and ball up her fists in the air when I gently brush
her hair (she still "can't" brush it herself); asks why she
has to do anything related to hygiene (she could tell you almost anything about
the human body a normal 10th grader would know) and this list could go on and
on. We have good days and bad days and I know she is growing and changing, and
that some things are normal.
07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I do not want her to be on medication... I want her to be able to deal with life, thoughts, emotions, and circumstances in the best way she can.

I have read dozens of books in the past couple years (as the "societially unacceptable" behavior increased
and have done a lot of research on many subjects (parenting, giftedness, "Edison"
gene, medication vs non medication in children with many different diagnosis, over
diagnosis in kids, Asperger’s, blended families, etc…).

I know we can deal
with it within our family. When we decided to see a therapist, I was
looking for a professional that may be able to help us see past her behavior, to let her see and us as parents understand,
what she needs from us (or needs less of, for that matter) and from herself. And I
don’t feel qualified to always determine what is normal and what is not, just because I am her parent, many kinds of people can
be a parent. A woman I admire has said, paraphrase – “It takes a village to
raise a child..” Also, I think that (traditional and some non-traditional) therapy has helped many people including myself deal with things we weren't quite sure of how to deal with on our own.
[+] 1 user Likes thirteenislucky's post
07-01-2013, 05:23 PM
It sounds like a round peg in a square hole. Some people just don't fit societal norms. She sounds intelligent, advanced and capable. Finding out how to get from A to B needs to be figured out.

A therapist would be extremely beneficial, finding the right one is the challenge. Parenting and school are two options for support in developing who your daughter is, but there are others, too.

Have you looked elsewhere yet for a new therapist, or talked to the current one about the religiosity?
08-01-2013, 10:33 AM
therapists are scum.

don't let reality be an obstacle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting older without children KVron 46 5,363 10-04-2014 06:33 PM
Last Post: Melbs
  Psychology and Psychiatry on Religion djkamilo 12 439 06-01-2014 01:37 PM
Last Post: The Germans are coming
  THE CASE AGAINST RELIGION by Dr. Albert Ellis CaptKram1963 4 432 06-11-2013 06:14 PM
Last Post: Christsays
  Ambiguity tollerance vs religion, and Fundamentalsim Bucky Ball 2 212 27-10-2013 03:59 AM
Last Post: DLJ
  Love The Planet™ but having children anyway? Abdul Alhazred 1 210 06-06-2013 10:20 PM
Last Post: Hamata k
  What causes religion ? Bucky Ball 2 266 29-10-2012 02:40 AM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  Your Potential Children and Kids LadyJane 40 1,840 07-09-2012 03:38 PM
Last Post: Atothetheist