Therapy and therapist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 11:31 AM
RE: Therapy and therapist
(17-11-2016 07:25 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I started seeing a therapist to deal with random things back in late 2013. I picked a therapist, I'll call him J, in part because he didn't include any descriptions of religious or spiritual aspects in his professional description. It turned out that J was a retired philosophy professor from UConn, was atheist, and had quite the interesting life (got drafted during the Korean War but taught psychology classes instead of seeing any combat and finished his PhD in two years among other things). He became more than a therapist, he became a friend and mentor.

I last saw him for therapy two weeks ago this Tuesday and I got to see him for the last time in the hospital. He just passed away a few hours ago. I'm struggling a bit. This is the first real friend I've lost since realizing I was an atheist. It's hard. I've cried a lot this week because I knew he was going to pass, but I didn't expect the downturn to happen so quickly and it doesn't sound like anyone else did either. When I last got to see him, he was still trying to make jokes but wasn't entirely lucid. He kept saying "let's get this show on the road." I think he was ready, but I wasn't.

I miss my friend. It helps to write it down. I don't want my friend to be gone but I'm glad he's not suffering any more in the hospital.

Dude I'm so sorry.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-11-2016, 01:08 PM
My condolences, brotha.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post
18-11-2016, 08:05 PM
I am sorry to hear this TBD...there is nothing easy about losing someone we care about and connect with.

No

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-11-2016, 11:38 AM
I can definetly relate, i too lost a dear from of mine 1 year ago, what helped me was reading books about how sadness/depression works in the brain, i also got a dog, which helped immensly, good luck
[+] 1 user Likes Flami22's post
23-11-2016, 12:09 PM
(17-11-2016 07:25 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  He kept saying "let's get this show on the road."

That's a good line to go out with.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post