Therapy and therapist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Therapy and therapist
I started seeing a therapist to deal with random things back in late 2013. I picked a therapist, I'll call him J, in part because he didn't include any descriptions of religious or spiritual aspects in his professional description. It turned out that J was a retired philosophy professor from UConn, was atheist, and had quite the interesting life (got drafted during the Korean War but taught psychology classes instead of seeing any combat and finished his PhD in two years among other things). He became more than a therapist, he became a friend and mentor.

I last saw him for therapy two weeks ago this Tuesday and I got to see him for the last time in the hospital. He just passed away a few hours ago. I'm struggling a bit. This is the first real friend I've lost since realizing I was an atheist. It's hard. I've cried a lot this week because I knew he was going to pass, but I didn't expect the downturn to happen so quickly and it doesn't sound like anyone else did either. When I last got to see him, he was still trying to make jokes but wasn't entirely lucid. He kept saying "let's get this show on the road." I think he was ready, but I wasn't.

I miss my friend. It helps to write it down. I don't want my friend to be gone but I'm glad he's not suffering any more in the hospital.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2016, 07:42 PM
RE: Therapy and therapist
*Hugs* Never easy to lose someone you care about. Sending warm thoughts your way. Heart

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Bro Hug Sorry for your loss. It's never easy.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
17-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Eish Sad Sorry man.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-11-2016, 09:23 AM
So sorry dude. Dealing with the passing of someone close is never easy, but it is great that you did meet him and that he was such an influence on you.
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
18-11-2016, 09:25 AM
My condolences for your loss. He sounds like a terrific person.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
18-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Hey, man. A true friend and mentor is a rare treasure. Sounds like you found a good one. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
18-11-2016, 09:51 AM
I can relate to bonding with a therapist; some of them understand you on a level that none of your regular friends can. I'm sorry to hear that you lost him. Hug

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
18-11-2016, 09:58 AM
So sorry for your loss BD. Hug
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
18-11-2016, 10:01 AM