Therapy for Recovering from Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Therapy for Recovering from Religion
Does anyone know of any counseling programs in Oklahoma that deal specifically with recovering from abuse from a religious childhood or of a secular therapist or secular counselor that can treat a person that needs these resources? It seems that most places are either Christ-centered or peddle the importance of a belief in some grand creator (plug in your preferred god here), which is not helpful at all. That's like telling a heroin addict to believe in the head of a drug cartel.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2012, 02:08 PM
RE: Therapy for Recovering from Religion
(13-06-2012 11:50 AM)deafinition Wrote:  Does anyone know of any counseling programs in Oklahoma that deal specifically with recovering from abuse from a religious childhood or of a secular therapist or secular counselor that can treat a person that needs these resources? It seems that most places are either Christ-centered or peddle the importance of a belief in some grand creator (plug in your preferred god here), which is not helpful at all. That's like telling a heroin addict to believe in the head of a drug cartel.

I didn't look to see if there are groups in Oklahoma, but this website is a good place to start: http://recoveringfromreligion.org/

The executive director was a Pentecostal pastor for 25 years before becoming an atheist last year.

Also, another ex-minister started: http://livingafterfaith.blogspot.com/
There might be resources there for you. He talks a lot about PTSD issues resulting from religion. I believe there are some therapy contacts through his blog, but I also think he's connected with the first link I suggested at Recovering From Religion.

The final suggestion is The Thinking Atheist himself, Seth, is from Oklahoma so you may want to consider contacting him through his website that hosts this forum.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
13-06-2012, 02:51 PM
As well as counselling it's a good idea to get a support system however you can, for an example here or locally if possible, where people can understand what you're going through.
13-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Thank you for the detailed responses. I am very grateful.
13-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Deafinition - I'm glad you're here! This forum might be a good place to roam around get some ideas, blow off steam, just have a decent conversation... and of course, just have a laugh. We're pretty relaxed here. Since I haven't encountered you until now...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post