Therapy to change 'feminine' boy created a troubled man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Therapy to change 'feminine' boy created a troubled man
Hey guys! It's been a while, I miss you guys! Been other crazyness here. :/

Anyway, this article struck me so much that I had to come and post it. I really wasn't sure where, so I just picked here. It's long, but worth reading, and for me personally, I found it both terribly sad and enraging. I can't believe that people would actually treat another person this way. As you read, you will of course find the usual religious bullshit and hypocrisy that always seems to surround these sorts of stories. It's long so I'm only posting a short bit here and link to the rest.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Kirk Andrew Murphy seemed to have everything to live for.

He put himself through school. He had a successful 8-year career in the Air Force. After the service, he landed a high profile position with an American finance company in India.

But in 2003 at age 38, Kirk Murphy took his own life.

A co-worker found him hanging from the fan of his apartment in New Delhi. His family has struggled for years to understand what happened.

"I used to spend so much time thinking, why would he kill himself at the age of 38? It doesn't make any sense to me," said Kirk's sister, Maris Murphy. "What I now think is I don't know how he made it that long."

After Kirk's death, Maris started a search that would uncover a dark family secret. That secret revealed itself during a phone conversation with her older brother Mark, who mentioned his distrust of any kind of therapy.

"Don't you remember all that crap we went through at UCLA?" he asked her. Maris was too young to remember the details, but Mark remembered it vividly as a low point in their lives.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/07/sissy.b...?hpt=hp_c1

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2011, 10:18 AM
RE: Therapy to change 'feminine' boy created a troubled man
Hey Trill, where ya been??

I read this before. It made me sad/sick/angry/just about everything in the book. I just can't wrap my head around why people want to change others.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
08-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Really sad, that's what you get when you fight nature. I can't imagine how horrible life must have been for him.
But that's the world we live in. Good, intelligent men can be punished for breaking "moral laws" based on idiocy and superstition, while real idiots can make millions in taxpayer's money for spreading lies and hate.

Makes me think of Alan Turing. You know, the guy who broke the enigma code. He probably saved more lives than anyone else during WWII. He committed suicide because he was gay, and being gay was illegal at the time in Great Britain. Well, he had the choice: hormonal treatment or prison. He chose a third option.
According to church standards, he's off to hell. If he were straight, he would have been a hero...

Can you imagine where our society could have been if great gay minds would have been able to live their life to the fullest instead of having to hide it as if they were criminals?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
08-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I have nothing to say that could possibly fit this. It's disgusting and horrifying. It's like back in the early 1900's/late 1800's(I think, not sure the timing) when the new and tolerant approach to dealing with "problem" of a different culture, Native Americans, existing. They would tear families apart and "take the Indian out of the man". Only this is inherently worse because it's not having a person reject their history, but having a person reject themselves. I know you really can't punish a person for committing a crime before it was a crime, but this is pushing it.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-06-2011, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2011 07:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
I consider suicide the only truly inalienable right. And I am reluctant to ascribe any cause to it other than the individual's ultimate attempt to exercise free will.

That said, unenlightened people will try to fuck with you and change you. My only defense is obstinance informed by education.

(08-06-2011 10:33 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Makes me think of Alan Turing. ... If he were straight, he would have been a hero...

Dude is an indisputable hero. His sexual proclivities are irrelevant.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-06-2011, 06:31 PM
(08-06-2011 10:33 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Makes me think of Alan Turing. You know, the guy who broke the enigma code.

His concept of the Turing Machine has proven even more useful. Wink

08-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Welcome back Trillium. Smile

I've seen the article and cable feature about this story advertised on CNN for some time now. Amazingly tragic. Sad So much energy invested in destroying dignity, peace of mind and individuality, simply because the same mind set that imagines there can be only one way to understand all that exists, through faith in only one god, believes there can also be only one passion allowed between humans.

Twisted.
It sounds so archaic and dark ages. But it's not. It's the stuff that empowers groups like Exodus International. That not only have a website but a State by State directory so gays can find help! Undecided
Rest in peace Kirk. Sad
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
(08-06-2011 04:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-06-2011 10:33 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Makes me think of Alan Turing. ... If he were straight, he would have been a hero...

Don't get me wrong, to me he IS a hero. But he didn't die as one for many close-minded conservative a-holes. His sexual preference was more important than his accomplishments in that era (which wasn't that long ago). A real hero shouldn't have to commit suicide out of pure misery...

Another hero: Leonard Matlovich

[Image: 450px-Gay_vietnam_veteran_tomb.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
09-06-2011, 05:46 AM
Yeah - the so-called "therapy" ... it's utter bullshit and some of the people putting their family through it should feel ashamed. Such a waste of human life.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
10-06-2011, 07:44 PM
(09-06-2011 12:11 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  
(08-06-2011 04:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Don't get me wrong, to me he IS a hero. But he didn't die as one for many close-minded conservative a-holes. His sexual preference was more important than his accomplishments in that era (which wasn't that long ago). A real hero shouldn't have to commit suicide out of pure misery...

Bad on me for studying the man's awe-inspiring work without giving enough of a shit about the man's life to even learn the circumstances behind his demise. Thanks Thammuz.

"Turing was given a choice between imprisonment or probation conditional on his agreement to undergo hormonal treatment designed to reduce libido. He accepted chemical castration via oestrogen hormone injections.[51] ... On 8 June 1954, Turing's cleaner found him dead; he had died the previous day. A post-mortem examination established that the cause of death was cyanide poisoning."

Speaking as a hypogonadal man on testosterone replacement therapy to treat it, Turing was given a death sentence to be carried out within 2 years by cyanide poisoning. What a fucking waste of 50 more years of genius. Goddam we are our own worst enemy.

Another hero: Leonard Matlovich

[Image: 450px-Gay_vietnam_veteran_tomb.jpg]

Can't get more "Fuck you." than that.