Therapy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2017, 07:16 PM
RE: Therapy
I'm feeling okay.

I was shaking horribly when I saw her. She was nice though and I think it might be okay.

I don't know how group therapy will go. I've only done one on one, so I'm nervous, I guess I'm going soon if she said by the end of the week.

I hope you're right though. Been struggling for too long, I'm ready to start living better than I have.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Larai19's post
30-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Good luck with this new therapy Larai. As other folks have said, these professionals will know exactly what they're doing, so all should go well.

—Take care. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
03-04-2017, 02:57 PM
So how are things? Haven't heard from you in a few days.
Did you go to the group therapy already? How was it?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
03-04-2017, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2017 05:43 PM by Larai19.)
Well, I got a call saying that they moved me up on a waiting list for a psychiatric visit. They told me that I should do group and one on one. I asked them if since they got me an appointment sooner than the intake lady thought I'd get it if I'd get that therapist she was talking about sooner. They said yes but it won't be for another week. I thought that wasn't a bad wait so I told them I didn't want group therapy anmore. I didn't even attend a session so I guess it worked out. I really didn't want to do group therapy...

I am going to see my psychiatrist tomorrow. It's a hell of a walk and it might rain but oh well. They also decided to call me in earlier so I guess someone canceled. I hope I'll beat the rain. My husband is walking with me so at least I'll have someone in the waiting room.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to be on medicine again. Part of me thinks it's smart and the other part doesn't want to deal with the side effects of any pill I'm on...
I was on Setraline and Welbutrin before, I hated both of those. My last doctor desperately wanted me on Paxil but I decided against it because she warned that I could gain 15 lbs...

I'm feeling better about all this though. I weighed myself the other day and I've lost like 10 lbs in the last two months (by eating right and exercising) and I'm finally getting help so maybe I'll be a better person by the end of this year.

Thank you for asking, btw. Big Grin It made me smile. I'll let you know how the visit tomorrow goes. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
04-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Let me know what the therapy is like, I've been offered it several times, although haven't really felt like I need it.

I'm on sertraline myself, and find it's the only thing that stops me from having panic attacks at random moments. It also helps me concentrate a lot, so being off it really F's me up.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
04-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Well for the medicine, just keep in mind, psychiatrists often want to put people on medication while psychologists want to give therapy. So When you speak to the psychiatrist, it is absolutely fine for you to ask if there are other ways to help you or if you have to take the medicine for a long time etc.

@OakTree:
1to1 therapy is basically just talking to a person. The therapist will ask questions and make a lot of notes in the beginning. All the note taking might feel irritating and if it does, tell the therapist. Usually what therapists do is listen, ask questions to have you look at the problem from different perspectives and angles. Often they will give you some kind of homework which is pretty much just for you to be self-aware and mindful or just for you to find patterns and learn about yourself. For example I had to make a timeline of my life once and mark on it all the special highs and lows of my life on it. And we then started to "work through" all the marks I made on it. Why was that point in my life so good and why was that one so bad, what happened etc... Also little note on that. Sometimes a certain therapist just doesn't work out because you don't like them or because of any other reason. It is fine to tell a therapist that it's not working out and that you will be looking for another one. Therapists know that it is important to have some kind of connection and if that's not the one, then so be it. Just be honest with them in that case and look for another one.
Group therapy usually doesn't go into any depth about you personally. Group therapy is always for a group of people with a similar problem. Then the problem will be addressed more broadly. And you might share some things but you may also be asked to not over share in order to protect the other people in the group. You might learn some strategies to work through your issues or to help you in your daily life etc. Group therapy is mainly to provide you a little tool kit to be ok day to day and to provide you with the knowledge that you are not alone on your journey but people share this path with you.

So for me personally, neither worked but it is always worth a try to see if it might work for you. Everybody finds their way in the end, it's just not always easy or quick.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
04-04-2017, 02:14 PM
I don't think I can do this anymore...
04-04-2017, 02:23 PM
(04-04-2017 02:14 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I don't think I can do this anymore...

Whoa hang on, are you OK? What happened? Take it easy kid... And if it's easy take it twice...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-04-2017, 02:26 PM
(04-04-2017 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 02:14 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I don't think I can do this anymore...

Whoa hang on, are you OK? What happened? Take it easy kid... And if it's easy take it twice...

I don't know what to do... I can't go now.
I thought was going to finally go and get better today but so much just happened.
04-04-2017, 02:29 PM
(04-04-2017 02:26 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 02:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Whoa hang on, are you OK? What happened? Take it easy kid... And if it's easy take it twice...

I don't know what to do... I can't go now.
I thought was going to finally go and get better today but so much just happened.

You wanna talk about it? Can be good...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.