There Is A Difference Between Respect And A Free Pass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
There Is A Difference Between Respect And A Free Pass
I think religious people, and even some atheists, need to start recognizing the difference between respect and a free pass. I respect religion as a choice that somebody makes about their life. I don't go around judging people as good or evil because of their religious beliefs. I expect to be treated with that same respect as an atheist. I don't go preaching to religious people about how they should live their lives, and I don't want them to tell me how to live mine.

Religious people, however, are not happy with this. What they want is to make all the ridiculous claims that they please, say that it is all fact, and then be free of criticism. Even when they go as far as telling others that they need to follow their particular religion in order for those people to be saved, they still feel that they should be free from criticism. In other words, they don't want respect, they want a free pass, and there is definitely a difference between the two. They feel that religion is something that is above criticism. Unfortunately, a lot of atheists help to feed this. Many atheists seem so scared of being labeled as intolerant that they will be the first to jump on anyone that criticizes religion and say that it's disrespectful. Criticizing religion is no more disrespectful than criticizing a political stance. Religion makes claims, and all claims are open to criticism, religious or otherwise. You don't get to claim stories about talking snakes, a worldwide flood, and a man living inside of a whale as being historically true, and then turn around and have a hissy fit when somebody criticizes it - and it doesn't make somebody angry or full of hate just because they did.

This is the double standard that we see time and time again: Ken Ham claims that evolution is false and that the universe is around 6,000 years old and provides false proof for his claims? That's perfectly fine. Richard Dawkins illustrates why claims that have been made by religions are not true? That makes Dawkins an asshole. It's a double standard that needs to go.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
02-04-2014, 06:06 PM
RE: There Is A Difference Between Respect And A Free Pass
Dawkins is an asshole for other reasons.

Are there links to religious people calling Dawkins an asshole? I don't think I've seen any.

My experience has been that religious people are more hesitant to talk about their religion. Either because it's a forgone conclusion, or they really don't want to be challenged on it. But I don't really live in a conservative area... or frequent conservative sites.
02-04-2014, 06:23 PM
My experience with religious shits is that they think their superstitions make them superior.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
02-04-2014, 06:29 PM
(02-04-2014 05:59 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  This is the double standard that we see time and time again: Ken Ham claims that evolution is false and that the universe is around 6,000 years old and provides false proof for his claims? That's perfectly fine. Richard Dawkins illustrates why claims that have been made by religions are not true? That makes Dawkins an asshole. It's a double standard that needs to go.

It's there for two reasons:

1) They're the majority and for a long time, they've been able to get away with it. You're right. This is bad and needs to stop.

2) They believe Mr. Jesus told them to go out and be fishers of men by proselytizing all over the place. So, they think they're doing God's bidding.

I would love to see this stop, but it won't any time in the near future. Because their religion is the big one in this country, and is the one on which all our religious laws are based, you can bet that any law that comes out saying what a religion can and cannot do is going to be written in a way that is as favorable to Christianity as possible.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
(02-04-2014 06:06 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Dawkins is an asshole for other reasons.

Are there links to religious people calling Dawkins an asshole? I don't think I've seen any.

My experience has been that religious people are more hesitant to talk about their religion. Either because it's a forgone conclusion, or they really don't want to be challenged on it. But I don't really live in a conservative area... or frequent conservative sites.

You would have to go no farther than this forum for examples of it. Check out "The go a little easy on theists thread" where a member by the name of lookingforanswers calls Dawkins an asshole and a poor excuse for a scientist.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sts-thread

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
02-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Quote:I don't go around judging people as good or evil because of their religious beliefs.

I do.
A persons beliefs tells a lot about that person.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-04-2014, 07:05 PM
(02-04-2014 06:06 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Dawkins is an asshole for other reasons.

Is this some kind of sick joke? Since when did atheists knock on your door or put junk mail in your letter box? Since when did atheists try to mess with your rihhts in politics?

This is the same tactic Catholics in Rome used after they wiped out the pagans. They then claimed they were the victims.

I for one am sick of it. I have no respect for adults who believe in fairy tales. I can smile and be polite and I don't interfere with them. If only they'd afford me the same courtesy.

It is just like comic books. I never read them as a child and I certainly would not touch them as an adult. Give me real literature any day. George Elliott, Stendhal, Tolstoy.

I still cannot get over the fact people believe we all desend from on couple just 6000 years ago?

I like the Chinese response when the first missionaries arrived: "Why did God wait so long to inform the Chinese?".
I was about 18 when I first read the Bible and all I could think was how bloody ridiculous it was. How any intelligent adult can believe that moronic crap is beyond me. They should all hang their heads in utter shame.

I like Voltaire and Sartre. Adults.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Totally agree. Religion and its claims should be scrutinized, and we should not turn a blind eye out of "respect." When a religious person puts a claim on the table, it will be open to inspection whether they like it or not. I'm not going to be nice to religious people and avoid offending them when I tell them that I don't believe it. I'm not going to be suppressed and refrain myself from telling them why their beliefs are untrue just because it might hurt their feelings.

They need to learn that their beliefs are far more insulting than our mockery or dismissal of it. Religion is insulting because it directly says humans are doomed and damned and depraved beings that need to bow down to a slave-master who sent himself to be tortured, offering a form of ''blood sacrifice'' to us because he screwed up so badly.

How can they insult us with their beliefs and what they think about what will happen to people who don't believe in their religion? Us atheists never say religious people will burn in a terrible place full of fire and thorns for all eternity when they die merely because they believe in nonsense...

Totally understand your frustration on this issue. It bugs the hell out of me too.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Freethought's post
02-04-2014, 07:12 PM
For me, respect is earned, period. I may have respect for the position you hold without it having anything to do with you personally. (The global you.) For me, no one gets what I would call a free pass. However, I do start on the side of simple respect for another human being...from there it is up to them to show me, through their actions and their words, that respect from me is warranted or not.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-04-2014, 07:17 PM
(Responding to Freethought)

Damn right! I have zero respect for death cults who worship human sacrifice.

Had he been shot they'd be wearing a firing squad around their necks.

Religion. Bah humbug!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post