There are Athiests in foxholes, will you/have you been one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 04:01 AM
RE: There are Athiests in foxholes, will you/have you been one?
I refuse to be in a foxhole, if at all possible, because my country currently isn't worth dying for... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-11-2013, 04:11 AM
(19-11-2013 04:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I refuse to be in a foxhole, if at all possible, because my country currently isn't worth dying for... Dodgy

To Quote General George S Patton "The goal is not to die for your country. It's to make the other bastard die for his."

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-11-2013, 04:35 AM
I've been there, a lot of things came to mind, but not god at any point.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
19-11-2013, 04:47 AM
I've been openly atheist for years, in the UK where it's no big deal, death is a big deal though. In 2010 my mother lost her lengthy battle with ovarian cancer, all of her friends and siblings etc; made various references to god whilst in conversation with her especially towards the end. My father is agnostic/borderline deist. He takes the stance'we don't know so there's either no god or iftthere is a god he doesn't want us to know for certain so why worry about it. I assumed incorrectly that my mother held similar beliefs to him.

About 2 weeks before she died, she called me in to her room and asked me to shut the door, by this point she had accepted she was going to die and had a very direct conversation with me. Paraphrased it went something like this.

Mam. Son, I'm getting sick of hearing everyones rubbish about where they think I'm going or what's going to happen when I die. Tell me the truth, you don't believe in God or anything I want to know what you think.

Me. I sincerely don't know, I imagine it'll be like it was before you were born. You won't exist.

Mam, (sarcasm) wow son, that's so f**king comforting.

Me, it is to me in a way. It makes this life precious and valuable. I have no memory of not existing and when I die, I'll have no memory of existing. I'll just cease to be.

Mam, that makes sense, I've never believed in any of that stuff really. God eternal life, I wish people would shut up about it.

After that, she'd give me a knowing smile every time another relative would say something like God's watching over you etc; she would acknowledge the comment nicely and I knew she was letting them have their beliefs to help them deal with the situation. So not only did my mother die a confirmed atheist she even had strength of character enough, to look death in the eye and let her other loved ones have their platitudes of comfort.

She died in a foxhole, with dignity and grace. She let people think what they wanted but knew her own mind and didn't change it.

On a side note, when you lose someone so close to you and have genuine emotional investment in them and you watch death happen in front of you. I still find it mind blowing the tricks the religious play on themselves and the lies they try to push to square away their own delusions. ... Life's too short. Don't waste it playing mental gymnastics with yourself because you want to keep your imaginary friend! Get out there and be measured by your deeds!

Peace guys and girls Smile x

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 3 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
19-11-2013, 04:48 AM
(19-11-2013 04:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 04:01 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I refuse to be in a foxhole, if at all possible, because my country currently isn't worth dying for... Dodgy

To Quote General George S Patton "The goal is not to die for your country. It's to make the other bastard die for his."

[Image: fair-play-600x462.jpg]

And that would be great, expect for the whole part where they're trying to kill me right back... Undecided

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Re: There are Athiests in foxholes, will you/have you been one?
I was a devout Christian when I deployed and I still didn't pray to god to protect me. Even at that time in my life I knew that nothing supernatural was going to save me from a bullet, motar, or any number of occupational hazards associated with the military. Being surrounded by guys and gals that knew what they were doing was my best line of defense.