There are millions of gods, each having only 1 believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2011, 01:58 AM
There are millions of gods, each having only 1 believer
So I was watching the latest TAA video, which is actually pretty good. It's reminiscent of his older videos that had philosophical insight, rather than his newest ones, which all seem to be a hatefest of pop culture and politics.

It gets into the stuff I like at around 3:44.

But anyways, the title of this thread was a comment in the comment section of the video and I thought it was worth mentioning. "God" is a personal concept. Christians claim to be talking about the same deity, but Bob's God is not the same person as Frank's God. Frank's God wants the Eagles to beat the Giants this Sunday, and yet Bob's God wants the exact opposite. Both Bob and Frank prayed to God and He told them both that their respective teams would emerge victorious.

No two Gods are the same. Christian #1 burnt down an abortion clinic because God told her to... and yet Christian #2's God had told her just yesterday that she should have that abortion because she wasn't ready for parenthood yet.

What religions and their doctrines do is provide you with a template God. You are given a generic starter kit God when you join the religion and then you can decorate Him with any ideologies or attributes you want. Don't like gays? That's alright! A few cherry picked verses placed here and there and now God doesn't like gays! And if Gay Greg claims that God embraces homosexuality, that's alright too! Greg clearly doesn't know the true God. After all, you know exactly what God wants, you designed him!

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
26-08-2011, 02:25 AM
RE: There are millions of gods, each having only 1 believer
Hear, hear! This is my biggest problem with christianity. There's no good definition for what actually makes someone a christian. Belief in Jesus seems to be the minimum, but these people also believe in a bunch of other things. God Hates Fags. God Loves Everyone. God orders death for apostates. God wants to bring them back into the light. I could go on. But these people claim a myriad number of other beliefs that fall under their religion heading... but the won't explain how they came across them.

My preacher told me.

I felt it in my heart.

The Bible said it.

They're all terrible reasons, but the only objective one is what the bible says. And yet when I try to point out the problems with the bible, people like Matt just try to talk about how not everyone is a biblical literalist. I really don't know what to say to things like that. It's basically an admission that everyone has their own personal god. That there is no objective entity they are all observing. And while it renders their religion immune to criticism, it also renders what christianity actually is as ephemeral as mist in a vacuum.

I understand that people hold complex views, and that every member of a group is going to differ at least a little. But for a group that supposedly believes in a single, extant being who has specific rules for behavior for mankind, christians are absurdly divided. The only way I am capable of viewing it (From the perspective that Yahweh actually exists), is that there is ONE right view of the wishes of Yahweh. And that every other group is mistaken or willfully ignorant.

And if there is one right perspective of this god... then really, biblical literalism seems to be the only interpretation to go on. Otherwise, you have only the contradicting personal feelings of millions of different christians. That a god would be so incompetent at giving out his wishes. Granted, an old book isn't that great of an idea either, but it's pretty clear cut when it tells you to do stuff.

*sigh* I'll stop now. If you've noticed I've been having this problem of Matt, and it's kind of been driving me up the wall.
26-08-2011, 07:44 AM

(26-08-2011 01:58 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  After all, you know exactly what God wants, you designed him!

Very funny and very true. A refreshingly different perspective.
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2011, 08:54 AM
@BC and Sines:

You both make excellent points. But why so glum about it? Isn't this Designer God idea good news? Given that religion is absurd, isn't it better to have a flexible absurdity than a rigid one? Flexible things can be bent and molded.

The world would be a scarier place if every Christian were a biblical literalist. As it is, I don't see too many non-virgins being stoned on their fathers' doorsteps--at least not in the west. Hooray for cherry picking!

It doesn't much matter to me how progressive Christians have come around to believe, for example, that gay people should be accepted. I'm more likely to understand the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem than the workings of the religious mind. But the fact that some Christians do believe that is surely a cause for celebration. And it means that more could be attracted to that side.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-08-2011, 11:06 AM
HAHA!!!

Ohhhhh....how many times as a Christian did I say "Well MY god would never do/say/encourage XYZ." Uh....lots.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
26-08-2011, 11:18 AM
(26-08-2011 08:54 AM)cufflink Wrote:  @BC and Sines:

You both make excellent points. But why so glum about it? Isn't this Designer God idea good news? Given that religion is absurd, isn't it better to have a flexible absurdity than a rigid one? Flexible things can be bent and molded.

The world would be a scarier place if every Christian were a biblical literalist. As it is, I don't see too many non-virgins being stoned on their fathers' doorsteps--at least not in the west. Hooray for cherry picking!

The malleable nature of modern Christianity has changed it from a lethal infection to outright cancer. Before, you could attack the infection with a logic vaccine, now you don't even know what you're attacking. Address the flawed logic of the YEC aspect of the religion and suddenly God was responsible for evolution and abiogenesis. Point out the malevolent acts of the scriptures and suddenly the Bible is purely metaphorical. Through moderation and alteration, Christianity has improved its survivability, which is a terrible thing.

It would be better if all the followers were fundamentalists, it would expose the cult for what it is.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
26-08-2011, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2011 12:46 PM by ghostexorcist.)
A funny movie example of how people view Jesus differently:

I'm sure there are really people out there in the world like this.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2011, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2011 01:33 PM by myst32.)
1. God always wants what the person speaking for him wants.
2. God always has the prejudice and morals of the person speaking of him.
3. God is only as intelligent as the person claiming to know him.
4. God is the best "appeal to authority" that one can use. An unquestionable authority... for those times you just can't come up with something better.

Here is a vinn diagram to explain it all.....

[Image: imnw9l.jpg]

Thus each person creates their own god in their image. The fact that they are all different is a simple product of "qualia". I am sure if the church could start burning people at the stake they could get all these Gods back in line.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
26-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Anyone know anything about this book or its author?

Christian Atheist

I clicked on one of those advertising links that appear at the top of the Forum page and discovered it. It was apparently just published in June.

if we're talking about non-literalist versions of Christianity, this one sounds as if it pushes the envelope about as far as you can go.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-08-2011, 08:51 PM
(26-08-2011 08:54 AM)cufflink Wrote:  @BC and Sines:

Religion used to be a vicious, bloodthirsty doberman. Now it's an annoying yapping chihuahua. Yes, it's an improvement, but it's still something that needs to be dealt with. It's good that they're not murdering babies any more, so now we can work on the less serious rejection of science. Remember, when you're so badly off that "No longer murders babies" is an improvement, you've still got work to do.