"There are no atheists in foxholes"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 08:28 AM
"There are no atheists in foxholes"
I'm talking to this Christian pastor who is a friend of my parents and sister. I've met him once and I liked him. He started this conversation on FB with me asking about my atheism because he was "curious". Clearly, he has tried to debunk everything I've said- everything, that is, that he hasn't ignored. He had flat out ignored several great points I've had.

But up until today it's been ok and actually entertaining for me. Today he ended his message with: "there are no atheists in foxholes, they always end up praying to a god they don't believe in- why is that?" This was upsetting for me because he clearly knows nothing about how much atheists have to hide their views. He also said something like "you have a choice to go against the grain and believe, or not."

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2017, 08:33 AM
RE: "There are no atheists in foxholes"
I'd say that anyone hiding in a foxhole does not, in fact, believe there is a God looking out for them.

And the idea that all atheists start praying when in danger is bullshit. The last thing you want to do in a crucial situation is waste time talking to yourself.

Even if they do, all it shows is how people can act when desperate.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Robvalue's post
23-02-2017, 08:36 AM
I happen to own my grandfather's front diary. He wrote it in 1914/15 in the trenches at the Russian front. There's a lot in there on shrapnel rain, the cold and the weather. God however is absent. Not a single word. Later on he tought me dirty soldier songs from that time and spoke a lot about his womanizin before he met my grandma. A divorced christian woman, who wasn't much into church either.

Grandpa was a jew. He served in WWI and was persecuted in WWII. I don't remember him talking about god either or visiting a synagogue even once in his life. One of his favorite dishes was roast pork. That I do remember.

So, obviously the foxholes didn't do much to make him pray.
[+] 18 users Like abaris's post
23-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Hubby was in plenty fox holes and never prayed. Didn't pray on his death bed either - quite the opposite, the last lengthy thing he talked about was all the phony believers in his family and how glad he was that they were not present...

Ask the guy how many foxholes he was in where he witnessed people praying...

also, sometimes when facing death people grasp at straws...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 13 users Like Dom's post
23-02-2017, 08:45 AM
"There are no atheists in foxholes." <- Ignorance is 9/10 of the christian argument

[Image: pat-tillman-051915-ap-ftrjpg_123mgiiblm8...1034077563]
^Atheist in a foxhole

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 10 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
23-02-2017, 08:58 AM
In my estimation, people who say, "there are no atheists in foxholes" ... have no idea what "being in a foxhole" even means. I can name five to ten people I personally know who are or were, in the armed services - all atheists.

Two completely separate, younger friends recently shared their "big secret" with me: their deployments were instrumental in their deconversion.

People who have a tendency to believe in myths, gravitate to more myths to shore up their mythical notions.

Your parent's friend is a control freak. Enjoy your reality and don't let anyone force an ultimatum on you. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
23-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Pat Tillman was the first guy I thought about!! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
23-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I suspect the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers (who refer to their member list as the "Atheists in Foxholes, in Cockpits, and on Ships") would disagree fairly vehemently.

Perhaps you could refer your pastor friend to that organization, and ask why he would lie to you in the name of Jesus?

I'll post the link below, in the plain, in case it's easier for you to cut-paste/copy to him, that way.

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 10 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Send him this link:

http://militaryatheists.org/atheists-in-foxholes/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-02-2017, 09:07 AM
(23-02-2017 08:28 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  He also said something like "you have a choice to go against the grain and believe, or not."

This always baffles me. How can you believe when you don't believe? As far as I can tell, it's an impossibility.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post