"There are no atheists in foxholes"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 09:10 AM
RE: "There are no atheists in foxholes"
So it's only believers that do the killing? Seems about right.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post
23-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Ha - just skimming through a few people from the Atheists in Foxholes links ....
Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Shirley Brown --
Quote: My father (a WWII Vet, now deceased), used to say Pray in One hand and "Spit" (cleaned up version) in the other and see which gets full fastest. Pretty much my opinion as well.

Thank you, soldier!! Laugh out load

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
23-02-2017, 09:23 AM
(23-02-2017 09:07 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 08:28 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  He also said something like "you have a choice to go against the grain and believe, or not."

This always baffles me. How can you believe when you don't believe? As far as I can tell, it's an impossibility.

I'm also a little baffled by the expression "go against the grain and believe"...

Wut? If you're an American, you live in an overwhelmingly Christian-dominated culture, with more churches than gas stations, in which 70% of the population reports they are at least nominally Christian.

"Going against the grain" would be any of the dozens of other religions out there... or, of course, atheism.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 9 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
23-02-2017, 09:30 AM
You could also point out that he is stating what other people think, in contradiction to what those people profess.

This is basically dishonest since one person cannot know what another person really believes.

It also cuts both ways.

Ask him how many theists lose their faith in the face of adversity.

Also, don't let him ignore points. Remind him that he either needs to answer the points or acknowledge that he cannot.

ETA:

Oh and we do not choose our beliefs. We become convinced of the truth of something.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
23-02-2017, 09:37 AM
While there may not be any atheists in foxholes, there sure are a whole bunch of cunts in churches....

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the great resources and personal stories of veterans you know! This guy actually was in the military and has seen some pretty intense stuff, so I'm pretty sure he thinks he's an authority when it comes to the "no atheists in foxholes" comment.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
23-02-2017, 09:43 AM
(23-02-2017 09:39 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Thanks for all the great resources and personal stories of veterans you know! This guy actually was in the military and has seen some pretty intense stuff, so I'm pretty sure he thinks he's an authority when it comes to the "no atheists in foxholes" comment.

He thinks wrong.

Believers often spout nonsense about USSR crimes being crimes of atheists. So I wonder what such snowflakes think about Red Army - there weren't atheists in it or it didn't use foxholes?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
23-02-2017, 09:46 AM
(23-02-2017 09:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  While there may not be any atheists in foxholes, there sure are a whole bunch of cunts in churches....

Tongue
Dodgy

Consider

I actually gotta go along with that. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-02-2017, 09:48 AM
(23-02-2017 09:30 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Oh and we do not choose our beliefs. We become convinced of the truth of something.

Im using that. He's making it too easy, because first he said that belief isn't a choice and then he said that he doesn't believe in the other religions because he's convinced Christianity is the truth. Like, I'll be literally quoting him to prove to him that belief isn't a choice. Lol

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 3 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
23-02-2017, 09:48 AM
(23-02-2017 09:19 AM)kim Wrote:  Ha - just skimming through a few people from the Atheists in Foxholes links ....
Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Shirley Brown --
Quote: My father (a WWII Vet, now deceased), used to say Pray in One hand and "Spit" (cleaned up version) in the other and see which gets full fastest. Pretty much my opinion as well.

Thank you, soldier!! Laugh out load
I seem to recall my dad uttering the same thing.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post