"There are no atheists in foxholes"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: "There are no atheists in foxholes"
When I first joined the Navy they wouldn't put atheist on my tags. Even Jedi was listed as an option. I ended up having agnostic tags custom made.

By the time I left the Navy and joined the Army (after my 4 year civilian vacation in China) they'd changed the policy to allow atheist tags.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
23-02-2017, 01:52 PM
"There are no atheists in foxholes"
It finally how strikes me how odd it is that these Christians are so concerned to talk about the Shintoist foxes of the world.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-02-2017, 02:05 PM
(23-02-2017 08:28 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  Today he ended his message with: "there are no atheists in foxholes, they always end up praying to a god they don't believe in- why is that?"

Tell him "Because some people who are terrified and desperate will panic and try to latch onto any absurdity in order to avoid the reality of their situation".

He's wrong, of course, as others have already pointed out there are many atheists in foxholes according to their own testimonies. If we assume he's right just for the sake of argument what difference would it make? People wanting to believe something isn't evidence that that thing actually exists. If every single person on earth declared full religious faith in Jesus it wouldn't tip the scales towards his existing one iota.

If his best evidence is that fear can make some people wish for something to be true then he's lost the argument.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-02-2017, 02:12 PM
One possible response to "There are no atheists in foxholes":

"That's an incredibly rude thing for you to say. Shame on you for slandering the many non-religious individuals in the armed forces, in particular those who died in action and are not in a position to defend themselves. You owe them a contrite and unqualified apology, and until you at least apologize to me for saying such a thing, I will not continue this discussion."

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Astreja's post
23-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Sky pilot wanted to prove to me that God was watching out for us. Brought him home in a bag. Tried now to laugh.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Apologists won't ever acknowledge that atheists are, in fact, MINTED in the heat of battle. I'd wager way more atheists are born in adversity than theists. People who run to theism under duress are not holding mindfully to whatever beliefs they were holding to before.

Also, extreme situations are not a good setting from which to draw generalized conclusions. I'm put in mind of that soldier in Saving Private Ryan who, while dying of a fatal wound, regressed and called out "Mommy!" as his last word. When things like that happen, it is not proof that "there are no mother-haters in foxholes", or anything else other than that the mind grabs whatever fading threads of consciousness go sailing past, when the last moments come.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
23-02-2017, 02:44 PM
(23-02-2017 02:40 PM)mordant Wrote:  Also, extreme situations are not a good setting from which to draw generalized conclusions.

Anecdotal evidence, but one can assume that people don't change their core believes or disbelieves in extreme situations. I sat on the death beds of both of my parents and only regretted never to see them again. I didn't suddenly start to pray or something. It was only the feeling of loss and no hope of divine intervention.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
23-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Why pray to the god who could have kept you out of a foxhole to begin with? If he existed, and gave a damn, you wouldn't be there.

Reminds me of people who thought I should pray to the same gawd as the one who decided I needed to have cancer (if you follow their 'reasoning').

Pardon me as I say what I really feel on the topic...fuck that shit.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
23-02-2017, 03:37 PM
(23-02-2017 01:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  When I first joined the Navy they wouldn't put atheist on my tags. Even Jedi was listed as an option. I ended up having agnostic tags custom made.

By the time I left the Navy and joined the Army (after my 4 year civilian vacation in China) they'd changed the policy to allow atheist tags.

Thinking more on it, I hope NOPREF is still an option. If not I should complain to that bunch of atheist lawyers who like to ridicule stupid laws by taking them to their absurd logical conclusion in court just for the fun of it.

#sigh
23-02-2017, 03:52 PM
(23-02-2017 08:28 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  I'm talking to this Christian pastor who is a friend of my parents and sister. I've met him once and I liked him. He started this conversation on FB with me asking about my atheism because he was "curious". Clearly, he has tried to debunk everything I've said- everything, that is, that he hasn't ignored. He had flat out ignored several great points I've had.

But up until today it's been ok and actually entertaining for me. Today he ended his message with: "there are no atheists in foxholes, they always end up praying to a god they don't believe in- why is that?" This was upsetting for me because he clearly knows nothing about how much atheists have to hide their views. He also said something like "you have a choice to go against the grain and believe, or not."

Statements like this indicate to me that the one making them is on the ropes, exhausted and ready to throw in the towel. That means it's time to go for the knockout punch.

I can understand how this would upset you. You've been working, providing him with rational arguments which he ignores and then he goes and pulls something like that straight out of his ass. He simply asserts this. How could he know what all atheists do in a foxhole? He is merely projecting here. He's telling us that when times get tough, he abandons reason and relies on a fantasy of his own imagination to get him through. He's nothing but a fair weather thinker.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post