"There are no atheists in foxholes"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 10:59 AM
RE: "There are no atheists in foxholes"
(24-02-2017 10:20 AM)yakherder Wrote:  There's an interesting, frequently quoted book by David Grossman called "On Killing" that discusses some of these concepts. Though I must admit I found fault with a lot of his data and resulting conclusions, it's nonetheless an interesting read for those good enough at practicing skepticism to be able to separate the bullshit from the useful information.

I read that book. He's an army shrink and collected the data as reading material for the armed forces.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Anybody who isn't firing at the enemy is not doing their job.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-02-2017, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 03:58 PM by LadyWallFlower.)
(24-02-2017 10:46 AM)Bubba Wrote:  One of my great uncles was a Marine during WWII and the entire time I knew him, he was a very strong atheist, stating that there is no god. His wife didn't seem to care that he was an atheist, she just asked that he not be so adamant about there not being a god when she had other ladies at their house, The ladies were likely to be Presbyterians to some degree. I knew some the ladies who went to her Presbyterian church, it seemed that going to their church was a social event rather than a religious event, they had to keep up appearances

One time he said that some people claim that there are no atheists in foxholes, he told me that many Marines BECAME atheists while in a foxhole.

Thanks for sharing this! That's very interesting! I was just wondering about how many people might become atheists after being in a foxhole.

Edit: also, I hope you don't mind, but I told the Christian I'm talking to about your great uncle.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user