There are no atheists in the military

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2011, 10:50 AM

There are no atheists in the military
First of all, I would like to say that I thought Obama's State of the Union Address was a very very good speech. It wasn't overtly pro-American, well it had to be, but it acknowledged the factual evidence of America's slipping exceptionalism and challenged its people to regain that supremacy. I admire the refocusing on science/technology/education/infrastructure as it seems like the first time a president has really talked about bringing America into the technology age.

However, actions are different than words, and I seriously doubt that the extent of what will be accomplished will be even close to what the president's desires are.

Also, here is the State of the Union address-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZdEmjtF6HE

At 54:38, Obama talks about the diversity of the armed forces. He mentions blacks, whites, latinos, asians, Native Americans, Christians, Jews, Hindus, and Muslims.

Of course, he doesn't mention atheists, which comprise a far greater part of the population than Jews or Hindus or Muslims combined. Is this just nitpicky thing, or are atheists not even on the mind of the national discourse? Are we really that unimportant? Are we such an anathema to the American political landscape that mentioning gays is politically safe (as it should be), but mentioning atheists is political suicide?
Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 11:33 AM
RE: There are no atheists in the military
(26-01-2011 10:50 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Are we such an anathema to the American political landscape that mentioning gays is politically safe (as it should be), but mentioning atheists is political suicide?

Probably this. Obama strikes me as the kind of man to whom it wouldn't matter but just look at the way FOX hounds him day and night, if he were to mention us he'd just be giving more cannon fodder. Don't fret though my friend, change is in the air.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2011, 12:57 PM

I like the ideas he presented last night, but I highly doubt this country goes back to fixing itself first. (but this isn't about the speech!, or the GOP/Tea Party response)

As far as your question, I don't see it as a big deal. It would have been nice to see but as Green stated, he cares about how Fox showcases him it seems. Just think of the backlash it would have caused, and IMO the talks afterward would be about that, not what he wants to do.. further causing this country to go backwards. I know it be great to be showcased in the public light, as acceptance.. but, I don't think now is the time for him. He has an uphill battle to get reelected in 2012, I think doing that, would have made it worse.
26-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Obama is not the only president in several years to mention technology in the SOTU. A few years ago Bush spent several valuable minutes droning on about some pie-in-the-sky plan to send people to Mars. Then a few years later he forgot it completely and cut funding for Hubble.

What we really need is a president who will focus the nation on developing alternative fuel sources and establish policies to help us get there.

What we need is president Al Gore.

You know, if ten years ago, Al Gore had won his court case and been president during 9/11, we'd have had eight years of actual progress. (Actually, I have reason to suspect that 9/11 might not have happened under a Gore presidency - and no, that's not Truther inside-job madness. Gore would have continued Clinton's successful anti-terrorism programs and he'd have stayed focused on bin Laden like Sandy Berger told Bush to do.) But I digress.

Imagine if in 2001 we had established a comprehensive government policy to only purchase hybrids for a five year period for government fleet vehicles. At the end of that five year period, the government would commit to buying both hybrid and hydrogen fueled cars. For the first five years, private industry would have been scrambling to find ways to profit off of fueling the hybrids, and the price for both hybrid cars and hydrogen cars would have come down to where people would want to buy them. Plus they'd get tax incentives to buy them, and today, we'd all either be driving hybrids or hydrogen powered cars, and those of us still driving gasoline powered vehicles would be paying less at the pumps.

Just another reason to regret the Bush presidency.
26-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Imagine....
26-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Gamutman, we first need to showhow need to go back in time and repel what Clinton did in regards to the Banks systems, with the 1999 Federal Banking Modernization Act. But, with that said, IMO both Parties sold out American to Big Business, to keep their jobs. And this all started with Reagen, and has had a trickle down effect. (yes this is IMO their correct version of Reagennomics.)

I want to believe that either party will somehow be different and go in the correct direction for the country.. There are some, Alan Grayson of FL was one. But, going against the current system, is struck by hate by the public.

And AL Gore did win, and I agree.. I don't think he would have allowed 9/11 to happen in that way. I do think it would have happened, but just not to that extent. I don't think we would be as far down the rabbits hole as we are.. but surly still there.
26-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Anthraxfan, actually, I think if whoever was president from 2001 - Bush or Gore - had stayed on top of the Fanny/Freddie debacle and listened to their "better angels" that warned of what was coming (Ahem, Paul Krugman) a lot of the economic collapse might have been mitigated. Now we know how Bush handled it. Well, he didn't. We cannot know whether or not Gore would have done differently. I like to think he would have, but we'll never know.
26-01-2011, 04:42 PM

I don't see how Gore would have done any differently. Clinton sold out the American public to Wall Street, with the Act. Gore would have just followed through. Now I don't see Iraq happening under Gore, which would have save tax payer Dollars not to mention lives.

I beg to differ on the economic mitigated, the subprime scam caused this. Liar Loans cause this.. and with Gore following Clinton's lead.. I don't see them doing anything to hinder that ACT, which IMO, is the main cause for what we are in, and unless we repel that act, we see this happen again, and again.

Why do you feel Gore would have handled it any different than Bush?
26-01-2011, 04:58 PM
In fairness to Clinton the repeal of the Glass Steagle Act was veto proof when it hit Clinton's desk in 1999. If he had not signed it, it would have been law anyway. All he would have accomplished with a veto was fodder to use against Gore in the 2000 election claiming where the claim that the Democrats were "anti business". The fact that it was the wrong thing to do is a nuance that would not have mattered.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Anthraxfan, Bush had a weak economy brought about by several of his policies, plus he used the housing bubble to prop up what advances his economy seemed to have. Additionally, Bush was touting the ownership society platform which is not something liberals give two hoots about. All tolled, these things coalesced with the sub-prime boom to cause the eventual collapse. The entire time, as I mentioned before, there were wiser voices warning of the collapse to come. I don't see where Gore would have had the same incentives to ignore those warnings. He probably would have had a very different platform which was not focused on undermining social programs and was also not dependent upon glorifying some Ayn Randian utopia. All things considered, I think it's very reasonable to think that a Gore presidency may have staved off the recession.

Now, I will concede that many of the things which caused the problems are things that have more to do with weak foreign economies, but much of those problems are actually rooted in the anemic dollar. So it's not possible to actually know one way or the other. However, if I was writing a novel about an alternate reality in which Gore had been named president, I think I could believably write it with no major recession.