There is a ghost in my brain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2013, 01:37 PM
RE: There is a ghost in my brain
(16-01-2013 11:52 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...he still occupies a big space in my brain. And likely will for as long as I live.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-01-2013, 12:56 PM
(16-01-2013 09:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  It was almost like I could hear it. I have never had voices in my head before, it is unsettling.

Of course hubby was right, Carl is the better plumber and I called him and it got fixed asap.

Now, I did know Carl is the better plumber, this fact was already in my brain and probably would have surfaced before I actually called Bill. And, hubby often preferred Carl to Bill. I knew that too.

So this isn't new information.

But what's up with that voice in my head? Is there a permanent "hubby section" in my brain now that pops up when shit happens that he would have commented on?

Maybe that's what people mean when they say someone "lives on inside of us". The above is but one example of a number of occurrances.

Yikes, there is a ghost living in my brain!

Unsure
Of course you're going to get the usual stuff that when you live with someone, you get to know him so well, that you can make a good guess what he'd do or even think. However, I'm not sure it qualifies as a common, natural thing.
If so, why doesn't it work for example when a husband goes for a week's business trip? Or does it? If not, it might be something connected with the grief process. Or maybe his ghost's checking on you for the moment, if you can handle the daily duties without his physical presence. (sorry, I can't suddenly start pretending I'm normal Big Grin )

Anyway, you're not the only one with a ghost in your brain. Mine's quite a funny guy, loves dark and dry humor and often makes me laugh, though most of his jokes are really tailored on situations and I can't relay them. Sometimes he shocks me. I'm not sure how to call him, nobody's ever died on me. Maybe it's the voice of my far away and isolated right hemisphere Smile

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
18-01-2013, 01:07 PM
(18-01-2013 12:56 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(16-01-2013 09:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  It was almost like I could hear it. I have never had voices in my head before, it is unsettling.

Of course hubby was right, Carl is the better plumber and I called him and it got fixed asap.

Now, I did know Carl is the better plumber, this fact was already in my brain and probably would have surfaced before I actually called Bill. And, hubby often preferred Carl to Bill. I knew that too.

So this isn't new information.

But what's up with that voice in my head? Is there a permanent "hubby section" in my brain now that pops up when shit happens that he would have commented on?

Maybe that's what people mean when they say someone "lives on inside of us". The above is but one example of a number of occurrances.

Yikes, there is a ghost living in my brain!

Unsure
Of course you're going to get the usual stuff that when you live with someone, you get to know him so well, that you can make a good guess what he'd do or even think. However, I'm not sure it qualifies as a common, natural thing.
If so, why doesn't it work for example when a husband goes for a week's business trip? Or does it? If not, it might be something connected with the grief process. Or maybe his ghost's checking on you for the moment, if you can handle the daily duties without his physical presence. (sorry, I can't suddenly start pretending I'm normal Big Grin )

Anyway, you're not the only one with a ghost in your brain. Mine's quite a funny guy, loves dark and dry humor and often makes me laugh, though most of his jokes are really tailored on situations and I can't relay them. Sometimes he shocks me. I'm not sure how to call him, nobody's ever died on me. Maybe it's the voice of my far away and isolated right hemisphere Smile

Maybe Beliefje's post has something to do with your voice, it's quite interesting:

Quote: Your husband is now a permanent part of your mecosystem or, your internal family system, which is a phenomenon of our subconscious minds. In simple terms, the subconscious stores the personalities of important people in our lives and when the occasion presents itself, the correct personality will enter our conscious and help us to solve a problem. More often than not, we don't recognize the personalities but rather, are just guided by the memories. There are also people who have no conscious recollection of the actual people but the "voices" are so strong and so individually identifiable that they give them names.

It's a really interesting phenomenon and no doubt it is at the root of multiple personality disorder and, of course, talking to god.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-01-2013, 02:12 PM
If anyone wants to read more about the mecosystem/internal family system...

mecosystem

internal family systems (IFS)

I think everyone experiences this phenomenon to one degree or another, ranging from "grandpa used to say" on the low end to multiple personalities or voices telling someone to commit murder.

From what I've studied, the more pronounced manifestation (actually hearing and even talking to the voices) comes when people are either extremely dissociated or when they have achieved true self knowledge.

To clarify, extreme dissociation comes from early childhood traumas including, but not limited to severe abuse, sexual molestation and verbal abuse such as being raised by strict fundamentalist religious parents who enforce extreme & irrational discipline on the child even in the absence of physical abuse. In these cases, the person externalizes the abuse by projecting it on him/herself other races, countries, et al as a means by which to remove blame from the abuser. There's a good example of dissociative behavior placing the blame on one's self in the self abuse thread on this site.

Self knowledge is when a person is keenly aware of his/her own motivations and is capable of rational decision making that defies his/her initial emotional response to a given situation. Knowing how you'll react to a given situation isn't self knowledge. Knowing why you'll react that way is. For example, if my wife questions me about something that is rather benign, my initial reaction is to be on the defense because as a child, questioning usually led to me being either punished or receiving parental disapproval. Since I know why I react that way, I can stop myself from sniping at her and we can resolve the issue happily. It's my opinion that 99.9% of relationships fail because of a lack of self knowledge on one or both individual's part. Consequently, it's also what causes a lot of the flaming that takes place on message boards. :-)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
18-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Personally Dom, I think something beyond your control went amiss and your mind just snapped to attention to resolve it. Kind of simple as that. Because you attached a familiar voice to it... that actually seems quite ok.

Your mind searched for an idea - something to resolve the situation at hand - something reassuring, something secure, something to let you know it's ok to be strong... kind of the way your man used to do. He was your standby, your compliment - he was a part of you, just as much as you were a part of him. That's not something to blithely let go.

You simply gave your mind a voice that fit what you needed to compliment your immediate need. Seems like a pretty good thing to me. Thumbsup

Now, if he starts having ideas about the lottery or playing the horses... mmm... I think he might just be having you on and then it might be time to stop paying attention.

Heart

The video I put up... I recently lost a forever friend and that song just reminds me of a lot of things I thought I'd forgotten. The mind keeps it's own time.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-01-2013, 05:58 AM
What's the matter with voices in your head? What are they like? I've got two examples, which one is closest?

A few times around my teens I got the feeling like I was in a room with people talking, not particularly about me, but about a normal stuff. It got much clearer when I smoked some pot, I could even make out the words and sentences sometimes. For example, one time I heard two female voices talking about going on university. But that was really just a few times and never since.

If I get a "voice in my head" it's never a voice, it's a compressed essence of a thought, a concentrated impression that can sometimes be translated into words, or even a sentence or two. It's like an inspiration, a Muse's kiss - except that it may contain some quote irreverent humor about things around.
(I know, I'm a neurologist's wet dream)

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!