There might just be a chance for real education in public schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2011, 02:39 PM
There might just be a chance for real education in public schools
My 16-year-old daughter came home today with a text book for Social Studies titled "World History". Not much of a modern history buff I opened it up for a quick glance. To my delight the first chapter I turned to had Homo Erectus as the title ! Chapter after chapter discusses the evolution of man both physically and socially including a look at the most common world religions. I am looking forward to having some in depth conversations on the text book as we both study it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
RE: There might just be a chance for real education in public schools
That is quite promising indeed...as long as the teacher goes through that section.

Evolve
07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes I'm interested to see if the teacher puts any spin on the book
07-09-2011, 05:18 PM
With or without spin, the material is there for students and parents to read. Some parents might take exception, unfortunately.
Isn't Grade 10 or 11 kind of late to be starting history from the beginning?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
07-09-2011, 07:08 PM

(07-09-2011 05:18 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Isn't Grade 10 or 11 kind of late to be starting history from the beginning?

Heart

When I was in ninth grade, my Biology teacher was an Atheist and taught Evolution in great detail. I still remember the scandal that erupted in the neighborhood, people calling the teacher a devil worshiper, trying to get their students out of the class...

So yeah, there's also been hope, it's just the parents flip out every time it starts to shine a little.
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Where do you live? That was commonplace where I grew up. Evolution vs Creation wasn't even an issue. I'm certain that things are different here in Texas.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
09-09-2011, 03:18 AM
16 years old and they just start learning worlds history? I was learning that part of human history before I was 10, at 16 we learned specialized history of Croatia. And luckily Croatians don't know about Creationism, never heard of it.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-09-2011, 06:34 AM
That's why East Europeans have an edge on education: commies were running the agenda until recently, and it hasn't all gone to hell yet. Don't worry, it soon will: the evangelicals are beavering away.
I think American schools teach history the other way around - from specific to general, local to global. Which would be fine, in theory. In practice, there are huge differences in the quality and curricula of schools even a single state, never mind the whole country.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
09-09-2011, 04:13 PM
(09-09-2011 06:34 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  That's why East Europeans have an edge on education: commies were running the agenda until recently, and it hasn't all gone to hell yet. Don't worry, it soon will: the evangelicals are beavering away.
I think American schools teach history the other way around - from specific to general, local to global. Which would be fine, in theory. In practice, there are huge differences in the quality and curricula of schools even a single state, never mind the whole country.

Yeah... I learned basic American history when I was little, and then I learned town history and geography, state history and geography, and then back to American history...

We did not go over world history until high school in the 10th grade...

The thing is we also go over exploration as well (Ponce De Leon, Cortez)... I wonder how much education European students get on early American (both N. and S. America) to modern American history...?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
09-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Probably more that American kids learn about Europe. I don't imagine they have to learn how each state and province was acquired, or slog through all the explorations of the Americas in detail, but those guys were, after all, Europeans and this continent was European colonies, so it's very much part of their history, so i'd expect them to have the events and dates and significance, anyway.

I assume the reason we go from local to global is that a lot of students are expected to drop out at 16. At least they will know something of their own country by then.

Anyway, i still think land formations, dinosaurs, early mammals and cavemen would be a lot more exciting for Grade 4's than for Grade 10's. What they get in baby books and movies is all bits and pieces, inaccurate and incoherent.