There might just be a chance for real education in public schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2011, 11:43 AM
RE: There might just be a chance for real education in public schools
Same thing in my World History II class. Our teacher discusses evolution of man throughout the history. But he always seems to be trying to put down the evolution of man and contradicts his own book by saying God has a part of it all. And he constantly uses "BC" and "AD" unlike most World History teachers who use "BCE" and "CE"

“My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I have no problem with BC and AD: being of a certain vintage, it was the accepted form through my education. But if a history teacher, back in the 60's, had brought a god into the lesson, everyone would have been shocked, and that teacher would very likely have been disciplined. We discussed religion, like the crusades, in some detail, and Henry's secession from Rome, and the reformation, but it was in the context of history - not history in the context of religion. It was officially recognized that the school population had diverse backgrounds, cultures and beliefs, which they were free to pursue outside the classroom.

The only prejudice that clouded my history courses was Eurocenrticity: almost everything i learned about Native Americans was from extracurricular erading. But i understand that's changed recently.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
18-09-2011, 03:29 PM
(07-09-2011 09:48 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Where do you live? That was commonplace where I grew up. Evolution vs Creation wasn't even an issue. I'm certain that things are different here in Texas.

Same here. My biology teacher, and recently my geology professor, taught their subjects without inclusion of magic. However, at the start of these classes they did give a notice that they would not teach "Creationism/Young Earth", but they are not trying to convert anyone. Your personal beliefs are you beliefs, and lets leave it that way.