There never was or will be a thing called "God".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: There never was or will be a thing called "God".
(11-01-2016 09:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  All hail B-b!
Beelzebub! Evil_monster

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
12-01-2016, 12:59 AM
(11-01-2016 06:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Fans of all sky wizard claims world wide by all names would have us believe that all this was put here for us via a magic wand. Billions of stars in our galaxy alone, 100s of billions of galaxies in the known universe. A tiny 4 billion year old rock, in a 14 billion year old universe. Nope sorry, I cannot buy such an antiquated claim with all our modern scientific knowledge of nature and the universe. Religion is like pretending a kaleidoscope can replace a telescope. If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves.

Humans were wrong about the earth being flat. The Ancient Egyptians were wrong about their polytheistic gods. The Ancient Greeks and Romans were wrong about their polytheistic gods. All religions point to the others and say the other got it wrong. Humans simply need to stop being afraid of being finite. We only have one planet and we are all the same species. While you cannot force religion out of existence, we can and should be unafraid to question our perceptions of reality. There is no such thing as a utopia, not on earth and not before we were born, and there is no utopia afterwords.

How many gods did we make up so far? Thousands?

I've always wondered, how many versions of the Christian god are there? With 30,000+ denominations, in some versions it's merciful, in some others it's angry, in some it wants water sprinkled on infants foreheads, sometimes it's ok with foreskins, sometimes not, sometimes it helps you score touchdowns, sometimes it helps you find your car keys, and so on and so forth. In some cases, it's different enough that different sects persecute and kill each other.

So when a christian comes here, which fucking version of god are they trying to prove?
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
12-01-2016, 01:56 AM
(12-01-2016 12:59 AM)xieulong Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 06:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Fans of all sky wizard claims world wide by all names would have us believe that all this was put here for us via a magic wand. Billions of stars in our galaxy alone, 100s of billions of galaxies in the known universe. A tiny 4 billion year old rock, in a 14 billion year old universe. Nope sorry, I cannot buy such an antiquated claim with all our modern scientific knowledge of nature and the universe. Religion is like pretending a kaleidoscope can replace a telescope. If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves.

Humans were wrong about the earth being flat. The Ancient Egyptians were wrong about their polytheistic gods. The Ancient Greeks and Romans were wrong about their polytheistic gods. All religions point to the others and say the other got it wrong. Humans simply need to stop being afraid of being finite. We only have one planet and we are all the same species. While you cannot force religion out of existence, we can and should be unafraid to question our perceptions of reality. There is no such thing as a utopia, not on earth and not before we were born, and there is no utopia afterwords.

How many gods did we make up so far? Thousands?

I've always wondered, how many versions of the Christian god are there? With 30,000+ denominations, in some versions it's merciful, in some others it's angry, in some it wants water sprinkled on infants foreheads, sometimes it's ok with foreskins, sometimes not, sometimes it helps you score touchdowns, sometimes it helps you find your car keys, and so on and so forth. In some cases, it's different enough that different sects persecute and kill each other.

So when a christian comes here, which fucking version of god are they trying to prove?

Whichever version might be up there? At least from my point of view. I don't like religious absolutism, so I'm never gonna make any claims as to what God might or might not be, and as such I reject any claims made thereof. The most I can say (in my belief) is that God is a catalyst of sorts... That's about it. Anything past that is admittedly unsubstantiated and pure speculation. I have a whole other philosophy on that but I don't want to get into it and make a fool out of myself.

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
12-01-2016, 02:19 AM
(12-01-2016 01:56 AM)Noric Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 12:59 AM)xieulong Wrote:  How many gods did we make up so far? Thousands?

Whichever version might be up there? At least from my point of view. I don't like religious absolutism, so I'm never gonna make any claims as to what God might or might not be, and as such I reject any claims made thereof. The most I can say (in my belief) is that God is a catalyst of sorts... That's about it. Anything past that is admittedly unsubstantiated and pure speculation. I have a whole other philosophy on that but I don't want to get into it and make a fool out of myself.

Please start a new thread about that "whole other philosophy on that", it sound interesting. Big Grin
12-01-2016, 03:05 AM
(12-01-2016 02:19 AM)xieulong Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 01:56 AM)Noric Wrote:  Whichever version might be up there? At least from my point of view. I don't like religious absolutism, so I'm never gonna make any claims as to what God might or might not be, and as such I reject any claims made thereof. The most I can say (in my belief) is that God is a catalyst of sorts... That's about it. Anything past that is admittedly unsubstantiated and pure speculation. I have a whole other philosophy on that but I don't want to get into it and make a fool out of myself.

Please start a new thread about that "whole other philosophy on that", it sound interesting. Big Grin

Heh I could try? I'd have to put it together over a while to make sure it flows, then submit it for review here. On top of that, I don't really know how I'd present it for discussion since it's not exactly a question, which is the main reason I'm here, to ask questions to better understand my own beliefs.

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
12-01-2016, 08:28 AM
(12-01-2016 01:56 AM)Noric Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 12:59 AM)xieulong Wrote:  How many gods did we make up so far? Thousands?

I would put all god concepts under the unsubstantiated and pure speculation umbrella.

During my brief deist phase, I surmised there is no way any humans, ancient or modern, could even be close about what god is or it's characteristics. So I rejected all religions for an ambiguous Creator of the universe, that likely was indifferent to our existence.

The problem of evil gave all of the evidence I needed that any god was indifferent to humans.

The thing is, an indifferent god is no different than one that doesn't exist.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-01-2016, 12:52 PM
(12-01-2016 03:05 AM)Noric Wrote:  Heh I could try? I'd have to put it together over a while to make sure it flows, then submit it for review here. On top of that, I don't really know how I'd present it for discussion since it's not exactly a question, which is the main reason I'm here, to ask questions to better understand my own beliefs.

Oh, you hardly have to present something as a question to get a discussion here. We're all for pointless philosophical rambles, and it'll certainly end up with questions by the end of it. We're good at that bit.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
12-01-2016, 04:57 PM
(12-01-2016 01:56 AM)Noric Wrote:  I have a whole other philosophy on that but I don't want to get into it and make a fool out of myself.

Pussy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Lets not also forget that Vader demonstrated his power.

And you're all wrong, Lemmy was god.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Music RE: There never was or will be a thing called "God".
(12-01-2016 03:05 AM)Noric Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 02:19 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Please start a new thread about that "whole other philosophy on that", it sound interesting. Big Grin

Heh I could try? I'd have to put it together over a while to make sure it flows, then submit it for review here. On top of that, I don't really know how I'd present it for discussion since it's not exactly a question, which is the main reason I'm here, to ask questions to better understand my own beliefs.

I wouldn’t so much worry about being made a fool of… if you follow a few ground rules.

1. Be respectful to the forum residents. Assume that they’re all smart and have made very informed decisions about their views on religion. This is their safe haven, and they’ve welcomed you into their world.
2. Provide as much evidence and logic as you possibly can to substantiate your views.
3. Be receptive and open to criticism about your views. Regarding personal attacks, I’m sure they’ll treat you as you treat them.
4. Go into the conversation expecting that people will disagree and understand that you’ll most likely be unable to convince them.
5. Don’t try to convince anyone at all! Assume the position of simply sharing for the sake of sharing, and understand that a forum full of skeptics will yield… a few skeptics. Wink

I hope you will share your views. People may appreciate the candor and the open-mindedness. You may learn from some of their objections and modify your position in light of their input.