There never was or will be a thing called "God".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 10:54 PM
RE: There never was or will be a thing called "God".
(11-01-2016 06:57 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Fans of all sky wizard claims world wide by all names would have us believe that all this was put here for us via a magic wand. Billions of stars in our galaxy alone, 100s of billions of galaxies in the known universe. A tiny 4 billion year old rock, in a 14 billion year old universe. Nope sorry, I cannot buy such an antiquated claim with all our modern scientific knowledge of nature and the universe. Religion is like pretending a kaleidoscope can replace a telescope. If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves.

Humans were wrong about the earth being flat. The Ancient Egyptians were wrong about their polytheistic gods. The Ancient Greeks and Romans were wrong about their polytheistic gods. All religions point to the others and say the other got it wrong. Humans simply need to stop being afraid of being finite. We only have one planet and we are all the same species. While you cannot force religion out of existence, we can and should be unafraid to question our perceptions of reality. There is no such thing as a utopia, not on earth and not before we were born, and there is no utopia afterwords.
It's not about division, pride, or utopia. It's about doing right for the sake of what is right for the sake of existence. Vanity is very problematic for some.

There was a creative force that started everything in motion, and it does intercede. This intercession can be set in motion along with all else before man, or not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 11:07 PM
(11-01-2016 07:22 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 07:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Only in fiction. Like Darth Vader, but far worse.

Darth Vader isn't that bad. Darth Vader has a good side. That's why Luke saved him. But god in another hand is pure evil. Atleast according to the bible and the Koran.
If you try to see what men inspired by GOD are trying to explain, rather than the possible results of people not following it, then you can see the actual teachings as beneficial and profitable to life as a whole. Really, those who unknowingly are unbelievers due to the hands of man, or literal lack of credible information will be judged against their actions only, and not their disbelief.

I don't think that covers those who are anti-faithful though. I guess it might cover those who left a "church" if that church was preaching false doctrine.
12-01-2016, 11:12 PM
(11-01-2016 12:37 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 12:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Do you count deism?

Because that, on the other hand, is unfalsifiable by design...

Who are you addressing? I say myself that deism or pantheism for that matter are just as much gap answer woo as old standard woo.

There is no cognition needed as a starting point for nature or the universe to happen.

It is precisely because none of those can be falsified that one should reject those claims. Scientific method requires testing, control groups, falsification and peer review.
No one really ever said there was. Wait, never mind, someone probably did. Fn bob shit is how you make new hitlers, not cool.
12-01-2016, 11:20 PM
(12-01-2016 08:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 01:56 AM)Noric Wrote:  Whichever version might be up there? At least from my point of view. I don't like religious absolutism, so I'm never gonna make any claims as to what God might or might not be, and as such I reject any claims made thereof. The most I can say (in my belief) is that God is a catalyst of sorts... That's about it. Anything past that is admittedly unsubstantiated and pure speculation. I have a whole other philosophy on that but I don't want to get into it and make a fool out of myself.

I would put all god concepts under the unsubstantiated and pure speculation umbrella.

During my brief deist phase, I surmised there is no way any humans, ancient or modern, could even be close about what god is or it's characteristics. So I rejected all religions for an ambiguous Creator of the universe, that likely was indifferent to our existence.

The problem of evil gave all of the evidence I needed that any god was indifferent to humans.

The thing is, an indifferent god is no different than one that doesn't exist.
Not technically indifferent.

There is a difference in allowing something to figure things out for itself, and being indifferent. The evil is the work of man. God is not indifferent. To force us to be perfect would be turning us into vegetables. Indeed more fd up than having to actually learn from the lessons of history.
12-01-2016, 11:41 PM
(12-01-2016 11:07 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ... then you can see the actual teachings as beneficial and profitable to life as a whole ...

I assume here you are referring to religious "teachings" found in a bible. Even allowing that any of them were (or are) beneficial, (and taken at face value there's very little that can honestly construed as beneficial or profitable: see Bucky's list of hundreds of excerpts above), ALL of it is diminished to insignificance by the rest of the "teachings" that have filled to overflowing all the libraries of the world that really HAVE proven beneficial and profitable. All the bibles of the world amount to a few million words of ignorance and superstition. All the libraries of the world contain trillions of words of hard knowledge. None but the feeblest of minds would favor the former over the latter, or consider the former as having anything relevant to "teach" that has not already been superseded by superior knowledge.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
13-01-2016, 12:04 AM
(12-01-2016 11:41 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 11:07 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ... then you can see the actual teachings as beneficial and profitable to life as a whole ...

I assume here you are referring to religious "teachings" found in a bible. Even allowing that any of them were (or are) beneficial, (and taken at face value there's very little that can honestly construed as beneficial or profitable: see Bucky's list of hundreds of excerpts above), ALL of it is diminished to insignificance by the rest of the "teachings" that have filled to overflowing all the libraries of the world that really HAVE proven beneficial and profitable. All the bibles of the world amount to a few million words of ignorance and superstition. All the libraries of the world contain trillions of words of hard knowledge. None but the feeblest of minds would favor the former over the latter, or consider the former as having anything relevant to "teach" that has not already been superseded by superior knowledge.
False claim. Two different things.

We still have war, suffering, prejudice, cruelty, and all around negativity.

You would think superior knowledge would have fixed that.

People have been mislead for a couple thousand years at least. Other types of knowledge have yet to negate that or suffering and will not ever in their own without near mass extinction.
13-01-2016, 03:43 AM
(13-01-2016 12:04 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You would think superior knowledge would have fixed that.

Indeed. Pop's, do you actually realise what it is you say?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-01-2016, 05:23 AM
(13-01-2016 03:43 AM)Banjo Wrote:  ... Pops, do you actually realise what it is you say?

What you and I must recognize, Banjo, is that replacing coke bottle lenses with clear glass is the same as throwing tape across the lenses: the vision is too radically different to comprehend as anything but unfamiliar bother. The coke bottle distorted view isn't reality, but it's familiar, and familiar trumps truth at every corner.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
13-01-2016, 05:38 AM
(13-01-2016 05:23 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 03:43 AM)Banjo Wrote:  ... Pops, do you actually realise what it is you say?

What you and I must recognize, Banjo, is that replacing coke bottle lenses with clear glass is the same as throwing tape across the lenses: the vision is too radically different to comprehend as anything but unfamiliar bother. The coke bottle distorted view isn't reality, but it's familiar, and familiar trumps truth at every corner.

Indeed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-01-2016, 06:30 AM
(12-01-2016 10:54 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  There was a creative force that started everything in motion,

Unevidenced assumption

Quote:and it does intercede.

Where? How? When? What form does this intercession take? ow can it be distinguished from other causes?

Simply making claims is pointless unless they can be tested and verified.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP