There's a Problem With the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM
There's a Problem With the Bible
Who knew? This infallible guidebook to instruct mankind actually does have a problem. This forum is filled with a lot of speculation that the bible isn't flawless and considerable discussion about what kinds of flaws it might have, but this problem is rather severe.

As dictated by a supernatural mind or engraved in stone by lightning it presumes to tell us things we not only didn't know but would be incapable of discovering for ourselves. Else why claim supernatural authorship?

That doesn't make any sense. We're a moderately intelligent species, curious and pretty good at making up for what nature lacks with innovation and technology; it strains believability that there'd be anything vital we couldn't figure out on our own and would need to be told by some transcendent agency.

It's especially senseless when an inventory of all the truly vital human knowledge, the stuff that makes human life something more than fulfilling than the life of a potato, contains little to nothing of what's in the bible. There's certainly nothing in it that reveals some facet of nature or human nature forever beyond our reach - even at the first moments its component tracts and pamphlets were freshly inked down.

So you can see the problem with assigning to this thin volume the imprimatur that keeps being given to it, and it's particularly ironic that some of the people who across history have contributed to its unearned imprimatur have themselves added knowledge to the human compendium that really did advance our understanding of nature. Even thoughtful minds are not immune to thrall.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
12-07-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: There's a Problem With the Bible
I'd say it's pretty darn good work for a batch of tribal sheepherder warrior-priests in the Bronze Age. But that's all it is.
[Image: 0bb747d944f6648a2d764fb2eb781fee2bf99428...55ff51.jpg]

(And just because I love this one...)
[Image: 187262-That-Awkward-Moment-When-Satan-Is...Choice.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
12-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Sometimes I see the title of threads and goFacepalm

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-07-2015, 06:39 PM
There are many problems with the Bible.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
12-07-2015, 09:41 PM
(12-07-2015 06:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sometimes I see the title of threads and goFacepalm
Not everything intended comes across in bare print apparently. The title was intended to be similar to a sign on a road wiped out by an avalanche that says "Bump". Understatement. I don't think there's a smiley for understatement. I'll try to do better next time.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
12-07-2015, 11:29 PM
(12-07-2015 09:41 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 06:38 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sometimes I see the title of threads and goFacepalm
Not everything intended comes across in bare print apparently. The title was intended to be similar to a sign on a road wiped out by an avalanche that says "Bump". Understatement. I don't think there's a smiley for understatement. I'll try to do better next time.

Haha. It's not your doing. It's just that the bible is so full of shit it goes without saying. If it weren't so full of shit there might be something more to consider but....well......it's full of shit so sometimes there's not much more to say than that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
13-07-2015, 12:26 AM
(12-07-2015 03:24 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  As dictated by a supernatural mind or engraved in stone by lightning it presumes to tell us things we not only didn't know but would be incapable of discovering for ourselves. Else why claim supernatural authorship?

Blasphemous heathen. Without Holy Word of God you wouldn't know that eating shellfish is sinful or that tattoos are abomination in the eyes of the lord.

So I hope you now see what depth of knowledge Bible gave you. If not for it you would wallow in sin and misery.

Big Grin

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-07-2015, 03:47 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2015 06:25 AM by Banjo.)
The bible has its uses.

[Image: 21a7982e0f946fde473c1eb38da1e21e.png?itok=YTGJU_t_]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-07-2015, 05:54 AM
(13-07-2015 03:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The bible has its uses.

[Image: toilet%20paper%20bible.jpg]

That's the US Constitution, not the bible...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-07-2015, 06:25 AM
(13-07-2015 05:54 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 03:47 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The bible has its uses.

[Image: toilet%20paper%20bible.jpg]

That's the US Constitution, not the bible...

Thanks mate. Fixed.

Damned eyes. Sadcryface

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.