There's motherfucking raccoons in this motherfucking garden.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2017, 04:42 PM
RE: There's motherfucking raccoons in this motherfucking garden.
Some years ago, I lived in an old house in a raccoon infested neighborhood. The local Raccoon momma learned to climb a tree and tear off parts of roof shingles so she and her two cubs could get inside the house. I had to get a live trap and trap them to stop that. Raccoons can be real bastards. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night, hearing raccoons rummaging around inside your house.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Yeah the problem with using live-catch traps on varmints is no one really wants or needs your extras. I guarantee you there is no where which is in need of any mice or rats you catch. Raccoons might have some fans but not likely they want them in their attic.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
24-07-2017, 06:14 PM
(24-07-2017 04:48 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Yeah the problem with using live-catch traps on varmints is no one really wants or needs your extras. I guarantee you there is no where which is in need of any mice or rats you catch. Raccoons might have some fans but not likely they want them in their attic.

Living out in the country, my drop-offs were always on a deserted roadside. They sure are pissy until you pop the hatch ... then it's off to the races.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-07-2017, 06:47 PM
(24-07-2017 04:48 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Yeah the problem with using live-catch traps on varmints is no one really wants or needs your extras. I guarantee you there is no where which is in need of any mice or rats you catch. Raccoons might have some fans but not likely they want them in their attic.

Once they make a nest in your attic, they can be a blue steel bitch to get rid of, unless you trap them. I have a friend who had that problem; he lives in LA, and animal control won't take live raccoons. They will take dead ones, but it better have been killed humanely. We regularly worked in confined spaces, so I told him about using Nitrogen. This was before I learned of Nitrogen Exit Bags, though. I don't know what ever happened, I retired before he told me of his resolution.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
24-07-2017, 07:58 PM
(24-07-2017 06:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

Once they make a nest in your attic, they can be a blue steel bitch to get rid of, unless you trap them. I have a friend who had that problem; he lives in LA, and animal control won't take live raccoons. They will take dead ones, but it better have been killed humanely. We regularly worked in confined spaces, so I told him about using Nitrogen. This was before I learned of Nitrogen Exit Bags, though. I don't know what ever happened, I retired before he told me of his resolution.

In an attic, set up a boom box and tune it to a loud rock or rap/hip hop station. This works well on squirrels I am told. Works under a porch or a house to get rid of skunks and possums also. I don't know if Rush Limbaugh would work though.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
24-07-2017, 08:36 PM
(24-07-2017 07:58 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 06:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Once they make a nest in your attic, they can be a blue steel bitch to get rid of, unless you trap them. I have a friend who had that problem; he lives in LA, and animal control won't take live raccoons. They will take dead ones, but it better have been killed humanely. We regularly worked in confined spaces, so I told him about using Nitrogen. This was before I learned of Nitrogen Exit Bags, though. I don't know what ever happened, I retired before he told me of his resolution.

In an attic, set up a boom box and tune it to a loud rock or rap/hip hop station. This works well on squirrels I am told. Works under a porch or a house to get rid of skunks and possums also. I don't know if Rush Limbaugh would work though.

Well, Rush is obnoxious enough, and I know that if I get too much it him (like 5 minutes) I get a headache. How my brother could listen to that shit is beyond me.
24-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Rush would get rid of me but might attract a sort you'd like even less.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
14-08-2017, 03:43 PM
So I'm burning with curiosity. Still got raccoons? I haven't seen you posting any coon skin caps for sale yet.

I am healing from three fire ant bites from weeding in my garden over the weekend. I'm VERY grateful it wasn't more. It has been a lot more in the past.

Just free-associating with critters stories now...
When I was about 10 or younger I was sent into the crawl space under the house with nothing but a flashlight in search of the missing pregnant cat. (Yeah, I guess I was the sacrificial child, but in all fairness I was the smallest so I could do the best duck waddle under there.) Sadly I didn't find the cat but instead found a possum and her young. I broke the sound barrier back-crawling out of there when my flashlight hit those pink eyes and she hissed at me.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
14-08-2017, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017 07:13 PM by GirlyMad.)
(14-08-2017 03:43 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  So I'm burning with curiosity. Still got raccoons? I haven't seen you posting any coon skin caps for sale yet.

I am healing from three fire ant bites from weeding in my garden over the weekend. I'm VERY grateful it wasn't more. It has been a lot more in the past.

Forgot my password so I'm using my sock puppet account until they reset my password to "dumbass".

Old, feeble dogs scared away the coon, 'coon knows they just don't give a shit. Coon's nesting in the sewer system. Haven't decide whether to wipe out the lot of them or not. Their ingenuity impresses me. That and the fact they realized there are easier yards that don't have old dogs who just don't give a fuck.

Oh, the premmie green tomatoes did turn red when I turned them upside down and just let them sit until their normal seed-to-harvest time. Didn't grow obviously, but still pretty cool.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMad's post