There will be no economic recovery.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 10:34 AM
RE: There will be no economic recovery.
Bring on the chaos. I'm feeling restless.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Maybe nationhood will become obsolete and jobs will start coming with corporate citizenship.

I think I saw it in a movie once.

'Murican Canadian
29-12-2014, 09:42 AM
(27-12-2014 02:35 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Gas prices fall to under 2$ in my area for the first time in ages! Then I see a segment on one of the news shows about how Russia's economy is largely based on oil sales, and is now struggling even worse than before, and I can't help the knee jerk reaction of thinking that my cheap gallon of gas is being used like a weapon! Possibly to spank the Ruskies for trying to move away from the U.S. dollar!
Warning! First article google spat at me!!

Obviously, could be just coincedence, but I still went, "Hmmmmm Consider ".
Not an economics expert, either, so take ^ with a grain of salt. Tongue

The Saudis are more than happy to punish the Russians. Their willingness to allow prices to fall recently is the primary reason for the drop. They're also motivated to take some of the new production offline by having prices drop to a level where many of the new wells are uneconomic.
29-12-2014, 09:58 AM
(27-12-2014 05:38 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 09:25 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  The 20th century taught us that pure communism doesn't work. Perhaps it will be the 21st century that teaches us that this level of free market doesn't work either.

The problem is modern capital markets are not really "free markets". At least, not as that phrase was envisioned by Adam Smith.

As long as we have a system where corporate executives the all the upside and shareholders and employees take all the down side, a system where markets can be manipulated the way we've seen the past few years, and where we have entities who can make bets so large that society can't afford for them to lose and they are not only bailed out but allowed to maintain their wealth and market position, we are never going to have a free market and, worse, we will never really recover economically.
While I agree that boards have done a poor job of governance in recent times, it's also true that employees more than ever before participate in the wealth creation of their employers through stock and profit sharing plans. As do all Americans with the proliferation of low cost diversified investment vehicles. The long term trajectory is better, not worse.

Stockholders in those problem banks took it on the chin, despite the 'bailouts'. As one example, Citi's stock is now one tenth of its pre-crisis value, which is why they were forced to do a one-for-ten reverse stock split. The execs had their wealth largely tied to the stock, as they should.

The mainstream media covering financial news remind me of Chrsitians with their end time prophecies. It's always getting worse, and there's some satan out there behind it all. America is still the strongest standard of living raising machine in the world. We should all be thankful for that.
29-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I see a lot of the issue resting with the US lobby system. It's basically legal bribery. On a daily basis there are decisions made that affect everyone, based on which company out-bribed which politician that day.

All these decisions should be made based on rational evaluation of a situation, not on bribery. I think we would be economically much better off if lobbying became illegal.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Indeed. We are fast heading for a full societal colapse. Weeping

Truth seeker.
30-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Thumbsup

'Murican Canadian
30-12-2014, 01:38 AM
(30-12-2014 01:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Indeed. We are fast heading for a full societal colapse. Weeping

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-12-2014, 01:45 AM
(30-12-2014 01:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 01:29 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Indeed. We are fast heading for a full societal colapse. Weeping

[Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

Careful. You might get banned for spamming.

Truth seeker.
30-12-2014, 02:01 AM
(30-12-2014 01:45 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 01:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  [Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

Careful. You might get banned for spamming.

I doubt it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.