There will be no economic recovery.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2014, 02:05 AM
RE: There will be no economic recovery.
(30-12-2014 01:45 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 01:38 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  [Image: wikipedian_protester.png]

Careful. You might get banned for spamming.

[Image: spam-family-of-products.ashx]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2014, 03:25 AM
(29-12-2014 09:42 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 02:35 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Gas prices fall to under 2$ in my area for the first time in ages! Then I see a segment on one of the news shows about how Russia's economy is largely based on oil sales, and is now struggling even worse than before, and I can't help the knee jerk reaction of thinking that my cheap gallon of gas is being used like a weapon! Possibly to spank the Ruskies for trying to move away from the U.S. dollar!
Warning! First article google spat at me!!

Obviously, could be just coincedence, but I still went, "Hmmmmm Consider ".
Not an economics expert, either, so take ^ with a grain of salt. Tongue

The Saudis are more than happy to punish the Russians. Their willingness to allow prices to fall recently is the primary reason for the drop. They're also motivated to take some of the new production offline by having prices drop to a level where many of the new wells are uneconomic.

I don't think it's merely them punishing Russia. It's likely that fracking and decreases in oil prices in the US causes OPEC countries to lower prices to actually compete. Lowering the price hurts their economy in the long run, and I don't think Saudi Arabia is concerned about who is on the end of purchasing their oil.
03-01-2015, 09:46 AM
(29-12-2014 09:58 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 05:38 PM)BnW Wrote:  The problem is modern capital markets are not really "free markets". At least, not as that phrase was envisioned by Adam Smith.

As long as we have a system where corporate executives the all the upside and shareholders and employees take all the down side, a system where markets can be manipulated the way we've seen the past few years, and where we have entities who can make bets so large that society can't afford for them to lose and they are not only bailed out but allowed to maintain their wealth and market position, we are never going to have a free market and, worse, we will never really recover economically.
While I agree that boards have done a poor job of governance in recent times, it's also true that employees more than ever before participate in the wealth creation of their employers through stock and profit sharing plans. As do all Americans with the proliferation of low cost diversified investment vehicles. The long term trajectory is better, not worse.

Stockholders in those problem banks took it on the chin, despite the 'bailouts'. As one example, Citi's stock is now one tenth of its pre-crisis value, which is why they were forced to do a one-for-ten reverse stock split. The execs had their wealth largely tied to the stock, as they should.

The mainstream media covering financial news remind me of Chrsitians with their end time prophecies. It's always getting worse, and there's some satan out there behind it all. America is still the strongest standard of living raising machine in the world. We should all be thankful for that.

How are employees participating in wealth creation of their employers? I'm a 20+ year corporate guy and I see no evidence of this. True "profit sharing" plans are rare and even stock benefits are pretty minimal.

I'm also curious why you think the trajectory looks to be better, not worse. My observation is the complete opposite. What I see is wages for ordinary Americans becoming stagnant, if not depressed, why the top 1% collects more and more of the nations wealth. Layoffs have become a common thing at most every large company, with a certain number of people culled from the ranks every single year in an effort to reduce costs. National unemployment numbers are coming down but those numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. How many people are under employed or were forced to take jobs where they made a whole lot less than they had before they were let go. People tend to live within their means. If you suddenly take a big pay cut, that will have significant impacts on you and your ability to pay your mortgage, your car loans, and save for your kids college education.

And, speaking of a college education, how many 22 and 23 year olds are coming out with $50,000+ in debt and jobs paying just above minimum wage? On day 1 of their lives as "responsible adults" we are forcing them into mountains of debt, forcing them to support the new health care system with premiums for an expensive product most of them don't really need, and offering them little opportunities to climb out of the hole we are putting them in. How that translates into a better long term trajectory is beyond me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
18-03-2015, 05:02 AM
I would be interested in hearing a compelling arguement/differing viewpoint against this if anybody bothers to watch it. With Russia having close ties to a then pro-russian government in Ukraine, to then having that partnership took away. I can see why they would annex Crimea to protect their own interests. After all the US has been doing the same for years with regards to protecting the Petro-Dollar (saddam hussein asking for payment in Euros or direct aid, Qaddafi and libya wanting to start a Gold Dinar) anybody can call me a conspiracy theorist for that as it is merely "coincidence"?

Is there a parallel to be drawn between this and the Brits taking back the Falklands? Post Imperial tantrum.
19-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Laurence Kotlikoff is a Professor of Economics at Boston Univerty, a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Advisors and a former Senior Economist. On the 25th Feb 2015 he went before the Senate Budget Committee and explained how they were using phoney accounting and that the deficit is not 7 trillion, but more in the region of 150 trillion.

He explains it all in this video with Greg Hunter.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
19-03-2015, 01:17 PM
(19-03-2015 09:04 AM)bemore Wrote:  Laurence Kotlikoff is a Professor of Economics at Boston Univerty, a research associate of the National Bureau of Economic Advisors and a former Senior Economist. On the 25th Feb 2015 he went before the Senate Budget Committee and explained how they were using phoney accounting and that the deficit is not 7 trillion, but more in the region of 150 trillion.

He explains it all in this video with Greg Hunter.

I assume something similar is going on over here too.Angry
20-03-2015, 04:29 AM
Double post damnit.

20-03-2015, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 04:33 AM by bemore.)
(19-03-2015 01:17 PM)Kitson Wrote:  I assume something similar is going on over here too.Angry

Well in the latest budget report georgy porgy gave 1.5 billion in tax cuts to the north sea oil industry because it is on the verge of collapse due to low oil prices.

Over the pond in the US there is the American Eagle Energy Corporation who seven months ago raised $175 million issuing junk bonds. Recently they told all their investors they are not going to be able to meet the 1st interest payment.

The unemployment numbers are fudged. I have a few friends who are on Job Seekers Allowance and they say the job center doesnt seem interested in helping anybody find a job, they seem more focused on sanctioning people and stopping benefits for the tiniest of things. They are all genuinely looking for work yet are struggling to get anything. Most jobs are low paid and its not worth them doing it as they get just as much, if not more on combined benefits (JSA, Housing/council tax benefit) I emailed my MP and asked how the unemployment rate is worked out, if they go purely off the amount of claimants receiving benefits, so a reduction presumes they are in work and I have had no reply back lol.

I work for my local council. Services have been cut down to the bare minimum and we are only halfway through the planned cuts. My councils budget report for the next three years questions the role the council has in providing statutory services.

Other than issuing bonds and gilts, money expansion, like many countries comes about through the issuing of debt. There is way more debt now than before 2007 so it is for that reason why I think they will never drastically raise interest rates, because the economies will not be able to service their interest on debt obligations.

Its funny but I know more about the American economy than I do my own. There are a lot more commentators to watch to research what they say, there is literally nothing to compare to it for the UK.

29-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Drive by post, ive only returned to post in this thread.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/02/greek-d...es-grexit/

http://m.research.stlouisfed.org/fred/se...hp?sid=M2V <<set range to maximum then update graph.

26-07-2015, 02:25 AM
Nomi Prins, former Managing Director of Goldman Sachs asked to give a talk at the recent 15th annual conference for the Federal Reserve, the IMF and the World Bank.

She states that what is put on the mainstream vs what is discussed behind the scenes is worlds apart, among many other things.