They Got Me When I was Young

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 12:33 PM
RE: They Got Me When I was Young
(18-02-2014 04:45 AM)Anudist Wrote:  *waves* Utah Mormon born, one of the only people in my entire family to relieve myself of that madness and idiocy.

Almost everything you said I've thought and written down before. The difference for me, though, is I feel a bit of guilt for being complicit even after figuring out it was all BS. Just going along with it until I could get out from under my parents thumb and be courageous enough to weather the familial guilt trip instead of immediately refusing to participate in something I didn't even remotely believe. I resent a lot of my young mens leaders (though love some still for the life lessons they gave me), I resent particularly the bishop I had for much of my childhood, and how guilty he made me feel for being human.

It is child abuse, but I still try not to judge. I won't put my daughter through the misogyny, misery, and guilt they would put on her for being female or just being a person. But that is my choice, many don't agree with it, but that's where I sit with their decisions as well. I've told my wife I won't put up with that from any religion, and I will actively fight it.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk about anything.

Our stories seem similar, except that I rebelled openly rather than be complicit in what I did not believe in. Honestly, your covert unbelief was probably safer. I had a rough time.

I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that at least one little girl is spared the Mormon mind-rape. Thank you.

I would love to chat sometime. I will message you.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 12:34 PM
(18-02-2014 04:24 AM)TubbyTubby Wrote:  Very well written and its something I always try to keep in mind when I find myself conversing with theists.
You most definately won't be alone, thats for sure.

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
18-02-2014, 12:37 PM
(18-02-2014 04:50 AM)sporehux Wrote:  You are wrong about being born a mormon, you were born an Atheist, welcome back to a natural state.
Carrying the genes of countless ancestors back to abiogenesis, is far more amazing then we are the chosen ones from this fairytale that says we are.

You are right, of course. I was born an Atheist in all technical truth, but I think you haven't missed the point. I worded it that way to illustrate my lack of decision making opportunity in my youth.

I appreciate the clarification anyway though. We all ought to remember our natural state of unbelief.

-Karl Marx
18-02-2014, 12:40 PM
(18-02-2014 10:05 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  (I assume you're not asking strictly for Mormons, I could be wrong.)

Absolutely not. This is an equal opportunity discussion. I welcome any background.

-Karl Marx
18-02-2014, 12:45 PM
My parents were never true believers, but when I was born, in Italy, I was baptized, I had my first communion and confirmation. Only to avoid the stigma of being different. So in my case it was perhaps worse, because I had to endure catechism and tell a priest about my business, for no other reason than keeping the boat steady. I was even an altar boy for a while, but that was cool, being on the other side, assisting the "magician" and looking down on the sheeple. At that time no one feared molestations, and "my" priest was a good guy.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 1 user Likes Alexandro's post
18-02-2014, 12:46 PM
(18-02-2014 11:00 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Dark, have you thought about starting a blog? Or being a public speaker? In all honesty, all your threads are very well written.

Thank you, yet again, for your compliments and appreciation of my work. I always enjoy knowing that I make even a small difference for someone.

Actually, I have been seriously considering the creation of a blog for the last six months, but I am unsure as to whether or not there is an interested audience. I have no experience in marketing, and I detest it in general. I would hate to put my heart and soul into the blog and then have it become an empty echo in cyberspace.

I would be interested to know if I have engaged enough of a following here to warrant a weekly or daily blog.

-Karl Marx
18-02-2014, 01:06 PM
(18-02-2014 12:46 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 11:00 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Dark, have you thought about starting a blog? Or being a public speaker? In all honesty, all your threads are very well written.

Thank you, yet again, for your compliments and appreciation of my work. I always enjoy knowing that I make even a small difference for someone.

Actually, I have been seriously considering the creation of a blog for the last six months, but I am unsure as to whether or not there is an interested audience. I have no experience in marketing, and I detest it in general. I would hate to put my heart and soul into the blog and then have it become an empty echo in cyberspace.

I would be interested to know if I have engaged enough of a following here to warrant a weekly or daily blog.

In all honesty, it shouldn't matter if you have a large following. What if it reaches just one person? Would that be enough? I know a few people that write, and they never write for other people. They write for themselves. That's what makes it matter, and what you should do. You don't need to hold yourself back by thinking about what other people think of you. Loke I posted earlier, "The less you give a fuck, the happier you'll be."

Though, if you need help, I could set you up with a website. I can get it listed on google and stuff too. Pm me if you're interested, I can do it all for free (or if you're willing to put some cash in, I can get you better servers, a domain name and probably some better ads - I'm not asking for personal gain, only to cover the out of pocket cost to myself).

Atir aissom atir imon
18-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Great story, D-P. I've never quite grasped how anyone can look at the mormon foundation story and not reach the conclusion that Smith was nothing but a con man. It is simply unfathomable.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
18-02-2014, 01:11 PM
(18-02-2014 11:57 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I am too old for Veggie Tales but my kids were never very interested in it.

For me the show was Davey and Goliath. It helped to foster the hatred I have of claymation shows (Frosty, Rudolph).

I always thought that veggie tales were just funny.
I never saw any religious parts.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
18-02-2014, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2014 01:21 PM by Alex_Leonardo.)
I just saw this gem:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/VeggieTales
and this:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...y-use-them

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post