They Know Not What They Say...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2013, 09:57 PM
They Know Not What They Say...
I have never felt the urge to post here, but today I read this and the first thing that came to my mind was to see if anyone finds these kinds of comments as befuddling as I do:

"I love having a Christian school that is more concerned with academic excellence than social indoctrination, aka public schools."

The person went on to say his 8 year old could spell camoflauge, which would only happen in their Christian school because they are so far ahead of everyone else.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2013, 11:10 PM
RE: They Know Not What They Say...
First and foremost, welcome to the forums.

As a kid, I went to a Christian school. My parents were given the whole, "Our school may not be accredited, but it provides far superior schooling to the public school."

As an indoctrinated child, I too thought I was getting the best education I could. However, when it became expensive my parents moved me back into public school. I struggled a LOT. They told me, "You're just having a hard time adjusting. Just stick to what you learned." It was incredibly difficult for me since I was a young earth creationist at the time (Not sure if you're familiar with, but the fundies who say the earth is 6000 years old, etc).

The hardest subjects were biology and science for me. I LOVED things like space. I remember checking out "A Brief History of Time" and reading it and being fascinated with learning about things. It really made my head spin though because I could not reconcile it with my beliefs at the time. I was resistant to learning evolution and refused to learn it. I don't recall what I graduated with, but it was a C or a D. It was pitiful. I felt like an idiot a lot of the time.

Before I graduated, there was one interesting debate I got into with another kid. He was insisting the big bang happened and I remained firm that "GOD CREATED THE UNIVERSE!" and he said, "What if the big bang is how the universe was created?" and I had no response. I actually had to really think about it. It got me reading into science again.

I graduated and got a job, years later I became an atheist when I started reading the bible and couldn't reconcile it anymore. Simple shit like, "If the universe is only 6000 years old, how the fuck can I even see stars that are millions of light years away if it takes light 1 year to travel 1 light year." I slowly realized it was a lot of BS. I dropped my beliefs but I was left with a HUGE lack of understanding about how the world around us works. I have spent years reading and trying to understand stuff. Evolution being one of them. I actually reached out to the grade school teacher I argued with about evolution when I was in grade school (after giving him a giant apology). He pointed to me to a lot of resources and I've started to slowly grasp it.

I still have a sub par understanding of things like evolution. In fact, most atheists here probably are 10x better in that subject than I am (HINT HINT.. if anyone wants to school me, PLEASE).

So the moral of this story is that indeed, it does more harm than good in my opinion. It really pains me when I see some of my cousins having gone to private schools and indoctrinated and I know exactly what they are learning. They're indoctrinated up to their eyeballs. They're quite proud of it too, which is even more sad to me.

The harder part is not being mad at my parents for it. They really truly thought that what they were doing was the best for me. It was what any parent would do. Any parent will do what they feel is best for their children. I try not to make them feel guilty about it or to condemn them for it. My parents are still very religious, and I think my mom at the very least feels responsible for my anger towards religion. However, it isn't her fault.

Back to my point... what parent wouldn't do just that? Any good parent would want: To protect them, educate them, nurture them in the way that they know as "best" but this leaves us at the question..... WHAT is best?

The good part to this is that it really fueled my curiosity when I learned that I had gone about learning things the wrong way. My sincere passion for science is physics (what I can know at my best, anyway), astronomy and cosmology. However, my knowledge is limited to my own research, reading and experiences in astronomy. I think that it's good that something came out of it though. Part of me wonders though if I'd still have the same passion for it if I didn't feel motivation to learn the things that I didn't get a chance to.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 6 users Like Logisch's post
20-11-2013, 11:26 PM
(20-11-2013 11:10 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I still have a sub par understanding of things like evolution. In fact, most atheists here probably are 10x better in that subject than I am (HINT HINT.. if anyone wants to school me, PLEASE).

Free rides in Lamborghini -> free tutoring. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
21-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Logisch, that was the single most epic response to such a short OP ever.

Also, TLDR Tongue

21-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi cidtalk and welcome, you must have hit a chord with logisch, its a shame no secular groups exist to funnel tax free money into a well organised school.

In Australia the Religious (private schools) put very little emphasis on religious indoctrination. Id be surprised if any but a few of them were not teaching evolution as fact.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
21-11-2013, 08:18 AM
(20-11-2013 09:57 PM)Cidtalk Wrote:  I have never felt the urge to post here, but today I read this and the first thing that came to my mind was to see if anyone finds these kinds of comments as befuddling as I do:

"I love having a Christian school that is more concerned with academic excellence than social indoctrination, aka public schools."

The person went on to say his 8 year old could spell camoflauge, which would only happen in their Christian school because they are so far ahead of everyone else.
It sounds to me like these parents are possibly gun-loving, right to bear arms, learn English if you wanna live in 'Merica, God bless our troops and America, if you're not following OUR ways-the right morals- then you are against us parents = )

I know a couple that live right down the street from me that are like that. And when I told them my son is learning Spanish along with everything else in English, they lifted their chins and side-glanced each other. *We don't talk anymore*

What's more fun is the fact that their daughter goes to the same school. But they were all praisy about how their kid "used to go to" the [Christian school] by where they lived previously.

I'M ALSO COMPLETELY STEREOTYPING THE PARENTS YOU MENTIONED AND WENT OFF ON A SLIGHT TANGENT THAT REALLY DIDN'T OFFER ANYTHING.

So I will leave with this: (and touching a bit on what Logisch said) Parents will make sure to do what THEY think is best for their kids based on all kinds of social norms THEY themselves were introduced to growing up. We can only promise ourselves that we will teach our own children to think freely.

ALSO: Yay! They know how to spell "camouflage." My kid DEFINED "rhetorical" yesterday. LITERALLY. And he's 6.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
21-11-2013, 11:01 AM
In Louisiana, Private Schools (mostly religious) do offer a FAR better education that the majority of public school. There are a few exceptions, though, and with that, you don't see large Private Schools in that area (Zachary, Central, and Livingston school districts come to mind).

All in all, the state has failed miserably at public education.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-11-2013, 11:10 AM
(21-11-2013 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In Louisiana, Private Schools (mostly religious) do offer a FAR better education that the majority of public school. There are a few exceptions, though, and with that, you don't see large Private Schools in that area (Zachary, Central, and Livingston school districts come to mind).

Yeah that is what happens when you don't invest in your school system. In my neck of the woods our public schools are leagues better than your private schools (mainly cause they don't teach pseudoscience as fact) because we fund the hell out of them. It is one of many real world examples of how effective government can be if done correctly.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-11-2013, 01:22 PM
(21-11-2013 11:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-11-2013 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In Louisiana, Private Schools (mostly religious) do offer a FAR better education that the majority of public school. There are a few exceptions, though, and with that, you don't see large Private Schools in that area (Zachary, Central, and Livingston school districts come to mind).

Yeah that is what happens when you don't invest in your school system. In my neck of the woods our public schools are leagues better than your private schools (mainly cause they don't teach pseudoscience as fact) because we fund the hell out of them. It is one of many real world examples of how effective government can be if done correctly.

Have you seen any charts on the amount that's spent on education in America over time and the effect it's had? Please, find a source which you will find acceptable. Your public schools may or may nor be better than his private schools, but money probably isn't the reason why.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
21-11-2013, 01:54 PM
(20-11-2013 09:57 PM)Cidtalk Wrote:  I have never felt the urge to post here, but today I read this and the first thing that came to my mind was to see if anyone finds these kinds of comments as befuddling as I do:

I'm going to assume the spelling you've provided here is direct from the source. If so, for clarification, you may want to append "[sic]". It wasn't clear to me at first. I *think* it is now.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post