They always read the negative number first.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2016, 04:27 AM
They always read the negative number first.
This is not the first time I have seen this, but it does piss me off. Either in print or like this anchor, they always emphasize the negative when talking about polls, EVEN when those who would not vote for an atheist are the LOWER number. Now while this story was giving atheist a voice, they STILL read the low number as if it were more important than the majority who WOULD vote for an atheist. I will say that this certainly is an improvement, but still.

The poll in this story they said 40% would not vote for a qualified atheist. But the bigger number 58% percent WOULD. Ok why are you reading the negative first? Even the graphic had the negative number on top and the positive number on the bottom.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/At...39722.html

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2016, 04:38 AM
RE: They always read the negative number first.
'We're not scary'... ?

WTF?

How are we scary?
21-03-2016, 04:44 AM
(21-03-2016 04:38 AM)Kyx Wrote:  'We're not scary'... ?

WTF?

How are we scary?

We are scary because religtards don't understand why/how anyone can live without a god in their lives.

People are scared by things they don't understand.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
Find all posts by this user
21-03-2016, 05:22 AM
(21-03-2016 04:44 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 04:38 AM)Kyx Wrote:  'We're not scary'... ?

WTF?

How are we scary?

We are scary because religtards don't understand why/how anyone can live without a god in their lives.

Well our fear of the unknown is evolutionary. We evolved to seek patterns. But at the same time we also evolved to gap fill, and even if that pattern we think is true is completely false, because it provides safety in numbers, we seek to protect that idea. The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their lives around completely false polytheism. Modern monotheists and even the religion of Buddhism and Hindu polytheism still started in antiquity and an age of ignorance.

There is no polite way to say religion is superfluous. There was no written religion 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion years ago, much less 14 billion years ago. It takes one ray of light 100,000 years to cross our galaxy, which itself contains billions of suns. Our universe is full of 100s of billions of galaxies. "All this" was not put here for humans. All we have is us, and no matter our labels we are still ultimately the same species.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
21-03-2016, 05:25 AM
(21-03-2016 04:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  This is not the first time I have seen this, but it does piss me off. Either in print or like this anchor, they always emphasize the negative when talking about polls, EVEN when those who would not vote for an atheist are the LOWER number. Now while this story was giving atheist a voice, they STILL read the low number as if it were more important than the majority who WOULD vote for an atheist. I will say that this certainly is an improvement, but still.

The poll in this story they said 40% would not vote for a qualified atheist. But the bigger number 58% percent WOULD. Ok why are you reading the negative first? Even the graphic had the negative number on top and the positive number on the bottom.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/At...39722.html

Bias in all things.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
21-03-2016, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2016 07:13 AM by god has no twitter account.)
(21-03-2016 05:22 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 04:44 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  We are scary because religtards don't understand why/how anyone can live without a god in their lives.

Well our fear of the unknown is evolutionary. We evolved to seek patterns. But at the same time we also evolved to gap fill, and even if that pattern we think is true is completely false, because it provides safety in numbers, we seek to protect that idea. The ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years centering their lives around completely false polytheism. Modern monotheists and even the religion of Buddhism and Hindu polytheism still started in antiquity and an age of ignorance.

There is no polite way to say religion is superfluous. There was no written religion 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion years ago, much less 14 billion years ago. It takes one ray of light 100,000 years to cross our galaxy, which itself contains billions of suns. Our universe is full of 100s of billions of galaxies. "All this" was not put here for humans. All we have is us, and no matter our labels we are still ultimately the same species.

Man create gods for many reasons (including):

1. To explain our environment (the sky, the wind, the rain etc).

2. To help Man cope with 'this is all there is?'.

3. To help Man cope with the finality of death.

4. To gain power and control over his fellow man.

I'm sure that there are many more but the above are what I wish to concentrate on at this time.

1. is no longer valid. Science has evolved and explained a lot that happens in our environment which were formerly didn't understand. We now realise that 'it was god what dunnit' is no longer acceptable to the sane thinking person.

2. Man lives on an insignificant planet which revolves around a pretty ordinary Sun which exists in a pretty ordinary part of an arm in a pretty ordinary spiral galaxy in a pretty average part of the cosmos. Man may be unique for all we know. No other life may exist anywhere. This may make Man unique or not as the case may be. Believing that a god exists and put us here may help some and give us some sort of purpose.

3. A large number of people still cannot cope with death and it helps us to better cope if we believe that the deceased has gone to a better place.

4. Religion is all about power and control. The powerful in the church realise just how vulnerable Man feels and exploits his vulnerability. Man, it appears, is willing to give over the control and the power to the church in order not to feel vulnerable.

Atheists see this power play by the church and Man's vulnerability for what they are. Religtards are blinded by the lack of vulnerability. They need their comfie blankie it seems.

That's my take anyways.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
21-03-2016, 08:02 AM
People are scared of and despise atheists for much the same reason as many people have problems with gay people.

They don't understand them, and they're just a bit worried that they might be that way themselves.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-03-2016, 08:54 AM
The religious are pretty well entrenched in politics, and the religious authorities enjoy their perks. As long as they can demonize a group, the laity will, in many cases, even while not convinced that the group being demonized is all that bad, will go along with it so as not to raise a ruckus or be demonized, themselves.
21-03-2016, 08:56 AM
(21-03-2016 04:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  This is not the first time I have seen this, but it does piss me off. Either in print or like this anchor, they always emphasize the negative when talking about polls, EVEN when those who would not vote for an atheist are the LOWER number [...]

I think you may be overreacting to this news report?

The thrust of it was more a comment on the negativity by many voters against atheist candidates, more than a directed attack—actual or implied—on atheists per se. Considering this, it made more sense to highlight voter negativity more prominently by quoting that relatively high 40 per cent figure. (The 60 per cent that were not anti-atheist was effectively immaterial to the story.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-03-2016, 09:07 AM
(21-03-2016 08:56 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(21-03-2016 04:27 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  This is not the first time I have seen this, but it does piss me off. Either in print or like this anchor, they always emphasize the negative when talking about polls, EVEN when those who would not vote for an atheist are the LOWER number [...]

I think you may be overreacting to this news report?

The thrust of it was more a comment on the negativity by many voters against atheist candidates, more than a directed attack—actual or implied—on atheists per se. Considering this, it made more sense to highlight voter negativity more prominently by quoting that relatively high 40 per cent figure. (The 60 per cent that were not anti-atheist was effectively immaterial to the story.)

No I am not, I gave them credit for doing it at all. But I have seen these stories in print and in video before, and the majority of time they put the negative number first. The bias is to religion despite times changing otherwise they would read the 58% positive number first.