They are a republican or democrat because they......

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-08-2013, 01:15 PM
RE: They are a republican or democrat because they......
(15-08-2013 11:16 AM)I Am Wrote:  You might start a discussion that way.

I&I? Discussion? In our dreams maybe.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
15-08-2013, 04:56 PM
(15-08-2013 11:16 AM)I Am Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 06:02 AM)I and I Wrote:  According to some people... there are two different political factions in the U.S. named republican and democrat... Can anyone here name 4 things that a so called democrat or republican has done that makes them one and not the other?

Nothing "makes them" one or the other, except self-identification with and cooperation with the group. Neither group exists independently of its membership, just like the Moose Lodge and the PTA.

One way the D's and R's distinguish and define each other is by taking opposing positions on bills in the legislature. Those opposing views may or may not be a) consistent with stated platforms, b) representative of party member's views, or c) in the best interest of the people supposedly represented, but they are minimally distinguished by a for/against polarity, with some margin for error when individual lawmakers vote against the bulk of their party.

If your point is that the results of this arrangement are largely negative or indistinguishable, no matter which side wins, well then just SAY SO, rather than going through this 4-characteristic quiz show business. Offer some examples where you think their opposition to X or Y has no difference in the end. You might start a discussion that way.

Nah, that's just the way he rolls. Like a flat tire.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-08-2013, 06:18 PM
(15-08-2013 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 11:16 AM)I Am Wrote:  Nothing "makes them" one or the other, except self-identification with and cooperation with the group. Neither group exists independently of its membership, just like the Moose Lodge and the PTA.

One way the D's and R's distinguish and define each other is by taking opposing positions on bills in the legislature. Those opposing views may or may not be a) consistent with stated platforms, b) representative of party member's views, or c) in the best interest of the people supposedly represented, but they are minimally distinguished by a for/against polarity, with some margin for error when individual lawmakers vote against the bulk of their party.

If your point is that the results of this arrangement are largely negative or indistinguishable, no matter which side wins, well then just SAY SO, rather than going through this 4-characteristic quiz show business. Offer some examples where you think their opposition to X or Y has no difference in the end. You might start a discussion that way.

Nah, that's just the way he rolls. Like a flat tire.

Either that, or like a square wheel.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
15-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Liz Warren is awesome, I hope she runs in 2016.

Regardless...government in it's current state is an organic machine that turns cash into more cash.

You want to fix it you need to get open primaries, strong 3rd/4th parties, repeal citizens united (aka a handful of rich guys united against democracy), end the filibuster abuse, lengthen terms, introduce campaign finance/lobby reform, crack down on retirement favors, crack down on committee insider trading, get the ex industry big wigs out of the regulatory seats... excise the geriatric rubber stamp incumbents who can't even see the fucking bills anymore...

Seriously corporate interests outspend citizens groups by an enormous factor.

[Image: Lobbying%20ROI.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user