They better not bury me a christian.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 12:06 PM
They better not bury me a christian.
I have started putting together my will and all my funeral arrangements at the tender age of 35. Why? Because i have a very religious family who will insist on preaching and singing gospel at my funeral.

They will say im in heaven and god has forgiven me for being an atheist and the thought of it sickens me. Because I have no atheist friends, no one will say anything to prevent this so i have taken it upon myself to make sure this doesnt happen.

I was once told by an aunt, "Boy your not an atheist, you are a good person!" can you believe it. Im sure you guys are the only ones who can relate.

Has anyone been to an Atheist funeral?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like rockboylan's post
21-03-2012, 12:23 PM
RE: They better not bury me a christian.
I loled at what your aunt said Tongue

I never been to an atheist funeral, I didn't think those things exist, I always tell people they should just toss me to the side of a road or something, I really don't give shit about where my atoms are going to be after they start cooperating with each other.

You should hire a notary or something to make sure they respect your will, you never know with those pesky theist ¬¬

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
21-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forums!

I personally don't care what my funeral is like- so long as my wife is treated respectfully and is able to grieve however she needs to, without interruption and distraction from religious BS. My family can be as religious as they like otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
21-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I have not.
Also most people here will tell you that you shouldn't stress because the funeral is for the survivors not the dead.
I don't subscribe to that theory.
The funeral should be a celebration of the person who died. If that person wasn't a Christian and was actually anti theology then to me, celebrating with a Christian service is a defilement of who they were.

My original idea for a funeral has gone the way of the dodo. I had wanted a pure hedonistic experience to slap in the face of religion. One last fuck you.

It was detailed. And would have been fun for those who could enjoy the enjoyable. But I've changed my mind.

I want nothing. No service. No burial, just a burnin. My wife, or if she's gone, my daughter, will take my ashes somewhere pretty and throw them away. They can say goodbye. Then move on with their lives the way that makes them happy.

I don't even care if they tell anyone.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
21-03-2012, 12:30 PM
You do know you'll be dead, right?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
21-03-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2012 12:37 PM by rockboylan.)
(21-03-2012 12:23 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I loled at what your aunt said Tongue

I never been to an atheist funeral, I didn't think those things exist, I always tell people they should just toss me to the side of a road or something, I really don't give shit about where my atoms are going to be after they start cooperating with each other.

You should hire a notary or something to make sure they respect your will, you never know with those pesky theist ¬¬

Yea, I argue with my family alot about religion. I have accomplished alot in life and they always hit me with, you should thank god for blessing you. I keep telling them i busted my butt for everything i have and theres no way im not gonna recognize my own hard working by saying i had mystical help lol.

But they dont get it. i dont mind someone saying a few words to make my family feel better about how they are feeling about my death but Its important to me that my children are not bombarded by people saying your dad is with Christ, he has been forgiven. You know. I always stress standing up for what you believe in and doing whats right because its right, dont want them confused or feeling like i was on a wrong path. Religious folks can really scare a child into thinking like they do.
(21-03-2012 12:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I have not.
Also most people here will tell you that you shouldn't stress because the funeral is for the survivors not the dead.
I don't subscribe to that theory.
The funeral should be a celebration of the person who died. If that person wasn't a Christian and was actually anti theology then to me, celebrating with a Christian service is a defilement of who they were.

My original idea for a funeral has gone the way of the dodo. I had wanted a pure hedonistic experience to slap in the face of religion. One last fuck you.

It was detailed. And would have been fun for those who could enjoy the enjoyable. But I've changed my mind.

I want nothing. No service. No burial, just a burnin. My wife, or if she's gone, my daughter, will take my ashes somewhere pretty and throw them away. They can say goodbye. Then move on with their lives the way that makes them happy.

I don't even care if they tell anyone.

Man that was a great Idea lol.
21-03-2012, 12:41 PM
While I agree that you are dead and the funeral is for the living. You shouldn't let religiosity affect your funeral and basically lie to people about how you lived your life or how when you were alive you believed where you were after you died. When I'm dead, I want those if any happen to be there know that I no longer exist. Even if there were an afterlife, this would be true to me. Just like if I stuck my conscience in a robot. That wouldn't be me.

Nope don't know many atheists in real life, so in that haven't been to many atheist funerals. Personally, I either want to be donated to science and maybe avoid a funeral altogether or they can cut my body up and feed it to vultures... well, that probably wouldn't be allowed, so just cremation would be fine.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
21-03-2012, 12:41 PM
My point is that you'll be dead; therefore, you won't care how your funeral is held.

As Lucradis said, your funeral is for your surviving family members; not you. What harm is it doing them to let them think that you're not in eternal suffering? If this grants them a fraction of peace, wouldn't you be for this? Wouldn't that peace in grief of the moment be worth it?

Off topic:
For this same reason, I don't understand people who don't want to be organ donors... really, what good are they doing you?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-03-2012, 12:43 PM
(21-03-2012 12:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You do know you'll be dead, right?

And burning in Hell if KC gets his way. Tongue

Luc, your idea of a hedonist funeral...I'm glad you gave up the idea because all I could think about was the subject of Necrophilia in your casket.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-03-2012, 01:06 PM
You could call the Neptune society.

You can prepay the whole thing (and they are VERY inexpensive) and whenever the time comes, all your surviving person needs to do is make one call. They are secular, they could care less, they'll pick up your body anywhere in the world, cremate it and give your ashes to your designated person.

They put your ashes in a box, urn, decomposing green box or what not.
Then the remains can be buried, scattered, or sit on a shelf or in a crypt somewhere, or the Neptune society can sink your urn or scatter the ashes at sea, whatever your designated person desires at the time. (And these things do change with time).

They even arrange for death certificates, tell your surviving person what else they should do (call social security and whatnot) and are in general super helpful.

Anyway, that's a secular way of dealing with it, and it gives the survivor all the power if you like, or you can prearrange everything in detail.

Preparing for death is extremely important, you never know when it will happen, and the whole point of it is really to make it as easy as can be on the survivor. You also want to have a living will, where you can pen in that you don't want religious services on your death bed. Otherwise you will spend your last time on earth listening to some priest babbling...or arguing with him to go away if you are able to do so.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post