They better not bury me a christian.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: They better not bury me a christian.
(21-03-2012 12:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My point is that you'll be dead; therefore, you won't care how your funeral is held.

As Lucradis said, your funeral is for your surviving family members; not you. What harm is it doing them to let them think that you're not in eternal suffering? If this grants them a fraction of peace, wouldn't you be for this? Wouldn't that peace in grief of the moment be worth it?

Off topic:
For this same reason, I don't understand people who don't want to be organ donors... really, what good are they doing you?

I care now what my funeral in the future will be. That is unless the world blows up or something. Then I don't much care for a funeral.

No. I'm not for lying about how I lived my life or where I think I'll end up (or did think I would end up)... in the ground or on the shelf of a science lab. I go to religious funerals all the time. They are wrought with religion and sadness. Isn't religion supposed to be about afterlife or some crap? They should have a fucking party at my funeral. The quicker people can talk openly about how crappy I was in life and they can get all that stuff in the open, the quicker they can move on, because I'm not coming back. There's your piece of mind for you.

...I'm with you on organ donors. I want to donate my entire body, but haven't filled out the stuff for that yet. I have an organ donor card, but need to figure out how to get one in Brazil, because it's different here.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2012, 01:11 PM
(21-03-2012 01:07 PM)craniumonempty Wrote:  
(21-03-2012 12:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My point is that you'll be dead; therefore, you won't care how your funeral is held.

As Lucradis said, your funeral is for your surviving family members; not you. What harm is it doing them to let them think that you're not in eternal suffering? If this grants them a fraction of peace, wouldn't you be for this? Wouldn't that peace in grief of the moment be worth it?

Off topic:
For this same reason, I don't understand people who don't want to be organ donors... really, what good are they doing you?

I care now what my funeral in the future will be. That is unless the world blows up or something. Then I don't much care for a funeral.

No. I'm not for lying about how I lived my life or where I think I'll end up (or did think I would end up)... in the ground or on the shelf of a science lab. I go to religious funerals all the time. They are wrought with religion and sadness. Isn't religion supposed to be about afterlife or some crap? They should have a fucking party at my funeral. The quicker people can talk openly about how crappy I was in life and they can get all that stuff in the open, the quicker they can move on, because I'm not coming back. There's your piece of mind for you.

...I'm with you on organ donors. I want to donate my entire body, but haven't filled out the stuff for that yet. I have an organ donor card, but need to figure out how to get one in Brazil, because it's different here.

Well, is your family religious?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-03-2012, 01:22 PM
There's an app for that...

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2012, 01:22 PM
(21-03-2012 01:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, is your family religious?

Yes. Did I not make that clear. Doesn't change much. My wife is too. She'll be fine if there is no religious ceremony at the funeral. She didn't complain at the wedding.

21-03-2012, 01:43 PM
why would it be so bad. If you are dead you don't care anymore. funerals are for the living, and if they feel better by singing gospels and say you are in heaven with god, who cares really.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
21-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:RE: They better not bury me a christian.

I gotta bury me a Christian too. You know a good spot? Preferably somewhere secre... I mean peaceful.
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
21-03-2012, 02:36 PM
(21-03-2012 01:43 PM)Leela Wrote:  why would it be so bad. If you are dead you don't care anymore. funerals are for the living, and if they feel better by singing gospels and say you are in heaven with god, who cares really.

I didn't say I would care at the time. I care now. Funerals are for the living, but giving them quotes from the Bible and having a service for me is as bad as me going to church regularly... it's like lying to people that I'm (or was) as Christian or theist of some kind. I wasn't. The funeral should reflect that. Fuck it. If they won't let me donate to science, stuff me in a biodegradable bag with no formaldehyde and throw me under a tree for my funeral. I'd probably make good fertilizer. If they have a service, it should reflect the life that is gone. I would feel disrespectful to the person dying even if I were the only one there, if their wishes were to have some crappy service. Now if their wishes included me having to attend them, then they have another things coming... Nah, joking. I'll do like at my grandfather's funeral and sit with my siblings laughing at each other in the back of the church. Granted my older sis is uber-religious now... but we can probably make her laugh anyway. We'd probably do the same at my fathers funeral. Not because we wouldn't miss him. Because we'd be sharing stories of him and some are pretty funny. Why not laugh at a person's funeral if they were always laughing? I think it would be an insult to the memory otherwise... that's me though... If mom is still alive (women in my family outlive their husbands by 20+ years, so probably), she is so going to kill us.

... speaking of which. I need to give them a ring.

[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
21-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I still suggest the Neptune Society.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
21-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Yes laughing at the funeral would be what I would like for mine. People looking back to the happy and the funny times, sharing stories, have a pint and listen to good music. That's the perfect funeral for me. Make me even more happy and play Munchkin at my funeral, No shitting, have fun, play card games. Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
21-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Most of my family and friends are atheists; atheist funerals are more about the person you have lost.
Lots of stories about them, things they did and who they did them with.
Lots of support for the wife/husband whatever, more than the religious ones as it is a true loss and we don’t live in a dream where we’ll meet them again.

I’ll be having a atheist funeral, as will my wife, daughter, in-laws, and probably my mum too.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche