They came in pants!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Rainbow They came in pants!
So some women are taking a stand in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. What does this mean for our favorite Christian religion.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 12:43 PM
RE: They came in pants!
(20-12-2012 12:36 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  So some women are taking a stand in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. What does this mean for our favorite Christian religion.

I see this sort of thing as entirely illogical. Just leave the church.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 12:45 PM
I thought this would be about something else...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 5 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
20-12-2012, 12:46 PM
(20-12-2012 12:45 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I thought this would be about something else...

Likewise. What's the big deal? Who hasn't?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
20-12-2012, 12:48 PM
What I don't get is how they are able to reconcile being members of this church and relying for the salvation of their immortal soul (man, I almost choked on that crock) with being subjected to such mediaeval attitudes. How can you still take such an institution seriously (esp. if you weren't born into such a family, like some of them).

Sometimes we are just asking for it. You join something as stupid as the mormon church, of your own volition, as an adult, and I pretty much don't give a crap about you not being allowed to wear pants. You made your ridiculous bed, now lie in it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
20-12-2012, 01:27 PM
What does this mean for the church? Does anyone thing they will eventually receive a sudden "divine revelation" saying it is okay for women to dress comfortably in church (if that's possible within holy underwheres)?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
20-12-2012, 01:55 PM
No, it means nothing for the church because wearing dresses is not doctrine. The people (members, not officials) on websites saying this violates doctrine wouldn't know doctrine if it bit them on the ass.

Which is ironic, because Mormons have their "Doctrines and Covenants" all written down and spelled out for them, and every last one of them has a pamphlet or three with their "D&C's" lying around their house, usually in plain sight (not buried under a pile of junk). The D&C's are really important to Mormons, so you'd think they actually know doctrine when they hear it (or not, as the case may be).

The church minimizes women. There is no denying that. And some of that is actually doctrinal. But what the women should wear to as Sunday finest is not doctrinal. All members, male and female, are encouraged to wear their best "Sunday attire" out of respect for the lord and being in the lord's house, etc. That basically means formal wear, dresses for the ladies and suits for the men, but that's only because culturally we perceive dresses as being more formal than pants (for the ladies only, of course). So since our culture (not Mormon culture, but US culture and maybe even world culture) has always seen dresses as nicer, more formal, than pants, it's just expected that the Mormon women go with dresses instead of pants.

This view has changed somewhat, but only recently. Now a well-dressed female business professional might very well wear a pants-suit to work, or to a courtroom, etc. Culturally, the modern world doesn't seem to have much of a social stigma about women in pants anymore. But that is very recent and the Mormon church is slow to react to things like this, so the church keeps on with tradition and encourages dresses while discouraging pants (a frown from a bishop can go a long way to correcting a perceived social blunder for the devout).

As time goes on, the people in the church might shift their views on proper female attire. In fact, they probably will.

But will it affect the church? No. Because it's not doctrine, and the changing viewpoint won't be doctrinal either.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
20-12-2012, 06:35 PM
(20-12-2012 12:48 PM)Vera Wrote:  What I don't get is how they are able to reconcile being members of this church and relying for the salvation of their immortal soul (man, I almost choked on that crock) with being subjected to such mediaeval attitudes. How can you still take such an institution seriously (esp. if you weren't born into such a family, like some of them).

Sometimes we are just asking for it. You join something as stupid as the mormon church, of your own volition, as an adult, and I pretty much don't give a crap about you not being allowed to wear pants. You made your ridiculous bed, now lie in it.
I wonder, too, about why black Mormons even bother. Black Mormons have claimed (on The Daily Show, among other places) that the Mormon church is beyond all that racism, but it really isn't; it can't be... the first two books of the Book of Mormon make no sense if being black isn't a curse.

But I totally agree with you. Anyone dumb enough to join a religion that discriminates against them is masochistic.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Then they had a lot of laundry to do.
21-12-2012, 11:15 AM
(21-12-2012 11:12 AM)Janus Wrote:  Then they had a lot of laundry to do.
I think someone needs a refresher course on the anatomical differences between boys and girls [Image: bee.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."