They can't leave the Shroud of Turin alone can they?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2017, 09:54 PM
RE: They can't leave the Shroud of Turin alone can they?
(26-07-2017 09:51 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 08:06 PM)TSG Wrote:  Yeah, I think we should...

Face facts.

You guys are making me laugh in a way that...

...makes me want to die and then have a sheet placed over me in such a way as to leave an imprint of my dead body for all time.

OH FUCK I'm just no good at this

The image on the cloth, is an elderly Italian male.
It's not of a young Near Eastern male.

The end. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Even if it were proved that the shroud had wrapped a corpse 2000 years ago (most of the evidence I'm familiar with makes this unlikely) there's no way to prove that corpse was a particular person. That holds even if it were proved that the Christ depicted in religious screeds truly existed (again, doubtful, and definitely not the mythic Christ).

But the mystery is easily resolvable. Choke a Catholic to death the instant he swallows a communion wafer and run a DNA test on the transubstantiated mass in his gullet. Compare the DNA of Christ's actual flesh with DNA found on the shroud, taking care to also map the dead Catholic's DNA so as to be able to exclude it if IT is found on the shroud (he may have touched the shroud on vacation last year). Most of the shroud DNA won't match because so many hands have fondled it hoping for a cure for arthritis and so on, but if a match IS found - shazam, proof positive the shroud covered Christ at some point.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
26-07-2017, 10:02 PM
(26-07-2017 09:57 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Even if it were proved that the shroud had wrapped a corpse 2000 years ago (most of the evidence I'm familiar with makes this unlikely) there's no way to prove that corpse was a particular person. That holds even if it were proved that the Christ depicted in religious screeds truly existed (again, doubtful, and definitely not the mythic Christ).

But the mystery is easily resolvable. Choke a Catholic to death the instant he swallows a communion wafer and run a DNA test on the transubstantiated mass in his gullet. Compare the DNA of Christ's actual flesh with DNA found on the shroud, taking care to also map the dead Catholic's DNA so as to be able to exclude it if IT is found on the shroud (he may have touched the shroud on vacation last year). Most of the shroud DNA won't match because so many hands have fondled it hoping for a cure for arthritis and so on, but if a match IS found - shazam, proof positive the shroud covered Christ at some point.

You should be pope. Not sure they need three right now, but ya never know.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-07-2017, 10:39 PM
(26-07-2017 09:57 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Even if it were proved that the shroud had wrapped a corpse 2000 years ago (most of the evidence I'm familiar with makes this unlikely) there's no way to prove that corpse was a particular person. That holds even if it were proved that the Christ depicted in religious screeds truly existed (again, doubtful, and definitely not the mythic Christ).

.... I mean.... I Know this wouldn't work.... but maybe you could convince a catholic to let themselves be choked to death for conclusive evidence of Jesus? .... I mean I'd just be interested to know if there's someone out there deluded enough to say yes to this plan. Would say a lot about them and the (likely) millions that said no.......

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
26-07-2017, 11:06 PM
(26-07-2017 07:38 PM)TSG Wrote:  They're just trying to bring a little more sense to something that's....

Shrouded in mystery.

(26-07-2017 07:55 PM)mordant Wrote:  The answer is cloaked in mystery.

(26-07-2017 07:56 PM)TSG Wrote:  The Vatican must be keeping things...

Under wraps.

(26-07-2017 07:56 PM)mordant Wrote:  Cloaked, shrouded, wrapped ... or that's my impression anyway.

(26-07-2017 08:06 PM)TSG Wrote:  Yeah, I think we should...

Face facts.

It's clearly a cover-up.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2017, 11:11 PM
(26-07-2017 09:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This is why they can't leave it alone.
http://www.shroud.com/pdfs/Fanti-refl.pdf
(The "Professor" in the article)

yeah a quick google search confirmed this isn't the only time he pulled that shit.
26-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Looking for evidence regarding a deity you have a "personal relationship" is so weird...

It would be like me desperately trying to find a way to show my wife is real, and that I haven't been talking to a hat stand for 10 years.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
26-07-2017, 11:14 PM
(26-07-2017 10:39 PM)JesseB Wrote:  .... I mean.... I Know this wouldn't work.... but maybe you could convince a catholic to let themselves be choked to death for conclusive evidence of Jesus? .... I mean I'd just be interested to know if there's someone out there deluded enough to say yes to this plan. Would say a lot about them and the (likely) millions that said no.......
A joke/argument I've used in the past is if you (not you Jess) as a religious person view this world is just a stepping stone to a better world, and not just a better world but a perfect world, an existence free of pain where everyone you ever loved is there where you will never feel fear or anxiety ever again.....why do you wear your seatbelt?

Cause here, in reality, if I'm out for a walk with someone and I tell them at the end of our walk is icecream they walk faster and take shortcuts.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
26-07-2017, 11:28 PM
(26-07-2017 07:38 PM)TSG Wrote:  They're just trying to bring a little more sense to something that's....

Shrouded in mystery.

I think what they want is a lot more cents. Fucking thing is a big money maker for the church and you know how they love money.

Meanwhile, it's a medieval fraud.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
26-07-2017, 11:47 PM
(26-07-2017 11:14 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(26-07-2017 10:39 PM)JesseB Wrote:  .... I mean.... I Know this wouldn't work.... but maybe you could convince a catholic to let themselves be choked to death for conclusive evidence of Jesus? .... I mean I'd just be interested to know if there's someone out there deluded enough to say yes to this plan. Would say a lot about them and the (likely) millions that said no.......
A joke/argument I've used in the past is if you (not you Jess) as a religious person view this world is just a stepping stone to a better world, and not just a better world but a perfect world, an existence free of pain where everyone you ever loved is there where you will never feel fear or anxiety ever again.....why do you wear your seatbelt?

Cause here, in reality, if I'm out for a walk with someone and I tell them at the end of our walk is icecream they walk faster and take shortcuts.

Absolutely. They don't believe their own shit. They're always talking about how wonderful the destination is, yet they take every precaution so that they take the maximum time getting there. If I truly believed paradise was waiting for me, I'd be looking for the quickest way there.

I think it's their survival instincts being at odds with what they proclaim to believe. Clearly they don't fully believe it. Those that do are the ones who really do end up getting hurt because of it, or hurting other people. Like suicide bombers. And that's why such beliefs are so dangerous. Some people might actually take them seriously now and again...

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post