They don't need no stinkin' help from atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2013, 12:53 PM
They don't need no stinkin' help from atheists
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/...nksgiving/

Atheists would get in the way of proselyting, feeding the less fortunate.
Weeping
Jebus no likey them atheists.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
RE: They don't need no stinkin' help from atheists
Just warming up for the good ol' "holiday wars". Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
12-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I find it sad. I read the comments that were mostly horrifying.

Most atheist groups can't hide behind favorable tax laws that churches do, so the idea of just wanting to piggy back on the good cause falls flat. But this mindset is becoming more and more prevalent with many organizations.

I also enjoyed the comments how I shouldn't care about celebrating Christmas or Thanksgiving anyway, since both are religious holidays. It's really the reason I don't go out and say I'm an atheist much.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

12-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Yea, this is just up the interstate from me. Figures. Dodgy

Personally, I always give tons of stuff to the Salvation Army and the DAV in the town where I live but still... I would like it to be more effective.

I help keep a park clean in another town; there is actually a sign which states the park is maintained by the local atheist group.

Doctors Without Borders is an organization many atheists are frequently associated with. I'm glad I support them with donations but I often wish I could do more good works locally.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-11-2013, 02:27 PM
(12-11-2013 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I also enjoyed the comments how I shouldn't care about celebrating Christmas or Thanksgiving anyway, since both are religious holidays. It's really the reason I don't go out and say I'm an atheist much.

Especially with Christmas, some of the most iconic images are of pagan origin. I could decorate the crap out of my house and celebrate the whole day without a single mention of Jesus, and it wouldn't look anything out of the ordinary.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-11-2013, 02:39 PM
(12-11-2013 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/...nksgiving/

Weeping

And? If the Christians are paying for and making the meals, and then they want to serve meals and proselytize, why should atheists come in and deliver meals others have made in an attempt to proselytize their beliefs instead? I saw nothing where it stated the atheists were also contributing to the meals themselves.

Are you okay with Christians wanting to both help distribute meals from an atheist soup kitchen and proselytizing as they do so? That is, if we can find an atheist soup kitchen... perhaps you can direct me to one in the light of the thousands of religious soup kitchens in the USA alone...
12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
(12-11-2013 02:27 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 01:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I also enjoyed the comments how I shouldn't care about celebrating Christmas or Thanksgiving anyway, since both are religious holidays. It's really the reason I don't go out and say I'm an atheist much.

Especially with Christmas, some of the most iconic images are of pagan origin. I could decorate the crap out of my house and celebrate the whole day without a single mention of Jesus, and it wouldn't look anything out of the ordinary.

[Image: y4kyR44.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
12-11-2013, 02:54 PM
(12-11-2013 02:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/...nksgiving/

Weeping

And? If the Christians are paying for and making the meals, and then they want to serve meals and proselytize, why should atheists come in and deliver meals others have made in an attempt to proselytize their beliefs instead? I saw nothing where it stated the atheists were also contributing to the meals themselves.

Are you okay with Christians wanting to both help distribute meals from an atheist soup kitchen and proselytizing as they do so? That is, if we can find an atheist soup kitchen... perhaps you can direct me to one in the light of the thousands of religious soup kitchens in the USA alone...

The atheists aren't proselytizing. And delivering the meals is contributing.

You really can be an ass, you know. You've assumed facts not in evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Weeping
Now we know which of their causes is more important. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
12-11-2013, 02:57 PM
(12-11-2013 02:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

Weeping

I didn't see anything in the article that said the atheists didn't help pay for and make the meals. I also didn't see where the atheists claimed to want to proselytize about anything.

I did see where the atheists were concerned about joining in with other humans to help less fortunate humans. I think the fact that they would like to do this alongside a group with a different message speaks a lot about the atheists motivations. And that is the bringing together of all for the benefit of all, regardless of creed.

I wonder what it is about Jesus' message the christians are using to deny this charitable offer?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco