They don't need no stinkin' help from atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2013, 03:04 PM
RE: They don't need no stinkin' help from atheists
(12-11-2013 02:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/...nksgiving/

Atheists would get in the way of proselyting, feeding the less fortunate.
Weeping
Jebus no likey them atheists.

And? If the Christians are paying for and making the meals, and then they want to serve meals and proselytize, why should atheists come in and deliver meals others have made in an attempt to proselytize their beliefs instead? I saw nothing where it stated the atheists were also contributing to the meals themselves.

Are you okay with Christians wanting to both help distribute meals from an atheist soup kitchen and proselytizing as they do so? That is, if we can find an atheist soup kitchen... perhaps you can direct me to one in the light of the thousands of religious soup kitchens in the USA alone...

No. What I'm ok with, is everyone working together, and letting the less fortunate eat in peace, which is EXACTLY how we do it, at the two places I help at, one run by Christians, where they NEVER preach, but let their actions speak for themselves, and one, non-denominational. The San Diego Food Bank is full of us heathens. Most Christians (unlike PJ do not try to put "da mental" back in Fundamental, (thank you Doc). Fundies are the tiny minority of Xtians. BTW, religious people say (.. although I give them more credit than they take), they do it for the reward. Atheists do it because "good people do good things". Without religion, I think most religious people are good hearted, and would do good things anyway.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-11-2013, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 04:05 PM by kim.)
(12-11-2013 02:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  And? If the Christians are paying for and making the meals, and then they want to serve meals and proselytize, why should atheists come in and deliver meals others have made in an attempt to proselytize their beliefs instead? I saw nothing where it stated the atheists were also contributing to the meals themselves.
Always slipping in with the made up propaganda and lying; still towing the usual christee line, I see.

(12-11-2013 02:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Are you okay with Christians wanting to both help distribute meals from an atheist soup kitchen and proselytizing as they do so? That is, if we can find an atheist soup kitchen... perhaps you can direct me to one in the light of the thousands of religious soup kitchens in the USA alone...

There are a few. I've known about Bean's for years - they helped out a friend of mine when he was stranded.

An organization that has been in business for hundreds -thousands- of years has a jump on infrastructure.

I don't personally see anything wrong in how the christee organization explained themselves in this instance - they said, "Had another large church organization offered their services, they would have been turned away as well." - however the comment they made prior, "not a good fit" is pretty telling. I don't think bias should be wagged in the face of a hungry human, one might lose a finger as well as a customer. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-11-2013, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 03:28 PM by kim.)
(12-11-2013 03:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. What I'm ok with, is everyone working together, and letting the less fortunate eat in peace, which is EXACTLY how we do it, at the two places I help at, one run by Christians, where they NEVER preach, but let their actions speak for themselves, and one, non-denominational. The San Diego Food Bank is full of us heathens. Most Christians (unlike PJ do not try to put "da mental" back in Fundamental, (thank you Doc). Fundies are the tiny minority of Xtians. BTW, religious people say (.. although I give them more credit than they take), they do it for the reward. Atheists do it because "good people do good things". Without religion, I think most religious people are good hearted, and would do good things anyway.

I and many atheists I know, help out at the Rime Center in KC. It's a buddhist place so, no god, just food offered to whomever might need it. I just realized I've probably been doing that for at least a decade - long before they had the building they are in now. They are now housed in an old, abandoned church between midtown and downtown -in one of the needier parts of the city.

Llama Chuck - yes, that's what I said - is a nice guy. Helped organize a nice little funeral procession for a buddy of mine some years back.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-11-2013, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 03:34 PM by Mr Woof.)
I imagine they might act the same with Jews, Moslems, Hindus, or any other] specific religious group not preaching "their great salvation plan".
Gross religious egoism at its worst!
12-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I think I need to meet Llama Chuck. We raise a few llamas. I assume he never spits. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-11-2013, 03:35 PM
(12-11-2013 03:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think I need to meet Llama Chuck. We raise a few llamas. I assume he never spits. Tongue

I wouldn't put it past him - he's pretty down to earth. Wink

12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
(12-11-2013 02:39 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 12:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/...nksgiving/

Atheists would get in the way of proselyting, feeding the less fortunate.
Weeping
Jebus no likey them atheists.

And? If the Christians are paying for and making the meals, and then they want to serve meals and proselytize, why should atheists come in and deliver meals others have made in an attempt to proselytize their beliefs instead? I saw nothing where it stated the atheists were also contributing to the meals themselves.

Are you okay with Christians wanting to both help distribute meals from an atheist soup kitchen and proselytizing as they do so? That is, if we can find an atheist soup kitchen... perhaps you can direct me to one in the light of the thousands of religious soup kitchens in the USA alone...

Every year I'm involved in our local high school's winter rave. We collect food, clothing and other things and distribute them to needy families who sign up in our county. There is no food preparation involved just refrigeration and distrubution.

And again, does it need to be stated that religious organizations receive more tax benefits and usually have facilities -- cleared by the local health departments no less -- to prepare foods?

That said there are a few secular ones in my area that do provide food for homeless and yes I've gone there many times to lend a hand that was honestly sorely needed. That's really another issue for all the lip service people like you are willing to give to the thousands of soup kitchen across the country. Why do sooooo many claim to have problems finding people who will consistently offer help?

Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-11-2013, 06:16 PM
A similar story was posted on here about Atheists being turned away from helping a charity in South Carolina. Didn't surprise me, I lived there long enough to know the mindset of the 'Christians' there.

What are they afraid of is what I wonder. Are they afraid that we are going to steal people away? The people to be helped are the ultra-poor that wouldn't be big contributors to a church so it can't be they are afraid to lose money. Are they afraid to admit that maybe Atheists are people, just like they are, who are concerned for mankind, just like they are? Will allowing Atheists to join in somehow reduce the good that can be done?

It should be about helping people. Period! Whoever has the ability and the inclination to help, should be able to help. This kind of crap isn't what makes Atheists look bad, it makes the Christians look bad.

UGH...sometimes I just hate people.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-11-2013, 06:21 PM
(12-11-2013 01:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Just warming up for the good ol' "holiday wars". Thumbsup

Happy hollandaise! Cod bless
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post