They really should bring the bible into schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
They really should bring the bible into schools
After seeing on Facebook many times how we really should bring the bible into schools and giving this argument careful thought, I would really have to agree. I am reminded of the quote of Isaac Asimov “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

I find this quote to be very accurate, and I think if critically taught, it would force more children to realize the fallacies that the bible presents that they obviously won't get in Sunday school or church.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
11-11-2014, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 07:43 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: They really should bring the bible into schools
I nominate docskeptic to lead the classes Yes

It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand. ~ Mark Twain

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
11-11-2014, 07:39 AM
(11-11-2014 07:36 AM)microterf Wrote:  I find this quote to be very accurate, and I think if critically taught, it would force more children to realize the fallacies that the bible presents that they obviously won't get in Sunday school or church.

There's the crux of the matter...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-11-2014, 07:46 AM
(11-11-2014 07:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 07:36 AM)microterf Wrote:  I find this quote to be very accurate, and I think if critically taught, it would force more children to realize the fallacies that the bible presents that they obviously won't get in Sunday school or church.

There's the crux of the matter...

Indeed. More likely it would just bring about worse indoctrination attempts.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
11-11-2014, 08:09 AM
First day in class, two blackboards, on the left a blank board, in the middle of it is a ghostlike apparition floating in the middle, and it has an outreached hand, blowing into a handful of dirt...and creating man. FICTION in fairy tales is in bold underneath.

The right blackboard will be split and filled with evolutionary facts on the left, and irrefutable facts on the right debunking the major stories of the bible. FACT in science is in bold underneath.

Welcome to class.

Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
11-11-2014, 08:19 AM
<Scoff, scoff, scoff, scoff....>

Oh, sorry. I had a little something stuck in my throat. <Scoff scoff> I'll go get a lozenge so I don't disturb anyone again.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
11-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Yes, I think it would have to be a well monitored curriculum, but almost needed. People are taught something as FACT at church with no evidence, and allowed to misrepresent science. It reminds me of the quote "If you don't stop lying about me, I'll start telling the truth about you." So if taught in school, but in a critical way I think it would be good. Obviously don't allow people to preach, but actually compare and contrast ideas in a non-biased environment.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
11-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Classes on comparative religions and the history of religion would be a godsend.Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
11-11-2014, 08:25 AM
The theology of the bible shouldn't be taught, and if it is, should be taught as Greek mythology is. The bible as a literary text is a MUST for any and every school in English speaking nations (specifically the King James version) because it is the single most significant contributor to the English language.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
11-11-2014, 08:26 AM
(11-11-2014 08:09 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  First day in class, two blackboards, on the left a blank board, in the middle of it is a ghostlike apparition floating in the middle, and it has an outreached hand, blowing into a handful of dirt...and creating man. FICTION in fairy tales is in bold underneath.

The right blackboard will be split and filled with evolutionary facts on the left, and irrefutable facts on the right debunking the major stories of the bible. FACT in science is in bold underneath.

Welcome to class.

Smartass

Ah, a substitute teacher huh? We'll have fun with this one Evil_monster Prolly doesn't know the difference between a scoffer and a fluffer Big Grin

Bring it on proffessor!

You can't go around refuting the Bible...it says so in the Bible!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post