They really should bring the bible into schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 08:27 AM
RE: They really should bring the bible into schools
(11-11-2014 08:24 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Classes on comparative religions and the history of religion would be a godsend.Big Grin

true, world religions classes are always really a curriculum about how all other religions are not true religions, but within Xtianity is the one true god, and the only way to be. Xtainity biased class wrapped up in a cloak of history/humanities class.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 08:33 AM
There are actually a few reasons that I think the Bible should be taught in schools. 1) As has already been stated, a knowledge of the Bible is a great force for atheism. 2) I studied Greco-Roman mythologies all through high school and absolutely loved it (this was perhaps my initial introduction to an interest in religion as a hobby). 3) The Bible, regardless of what we think of it, has inspired and influenced art, literature, music, and general culture perhaps more than any other single thing. If we are expecting students to learn these subjects, why would we not want them to understand such an important factor of them.

The problem is this: the teacher would naturally have to be very knowledgable about the Bible in order to facilitate discussion and cover a multitude of the harder questions. This obviously excludes the greater part of the population. Hence, with a limited amount of qualified personnel, I can easily see churches and religious organizations beginning a new crusade to put their people in these positions. Since there can be no stipulations on religious beliefs when hiring, I think the schools would have an impossible time ensuring an teacher was impartial (assuming that the school was even inclined to want the teacher to be impartial).

As much as I would like for it to happen, I think it's unfortunately not viable.

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JonDarbyXIII's post
11-11-2014, 08:37 AM
(11-11-2014 08:25 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  The theology of the bible shouldn't be taught, and if it is, should be taught as Greek mythology is. The bible as a literary text is a MUST for any and every school in English speaking nations (specifically the King James version) because it is the single most significant contributor to the English language.

No, Shakespeare contributed actual words to the language. The Bible may arguably be the most significant contributor to English literature.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-11-2014, 08:37 AM
JOn Darby,

Well there you go, you just had to bring reality into the analogy didn't you? Big Grin

The Xtians slithering their puppets into those classes as instructors would, of course, be the true problem of this actually ever happening.

But man I would LOVE to teach that class Yes

You know lots of Xtian students would be in there trying to refute the info, and I would be able to dismantle the lie like a stack of dominoes. Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-11-2014, 08:42 AM
We can compromise and offer two elective classes: 1. Critical Investigation of The Holy Bible 2. Creationism
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
11-11-2014, 08:44 AM
I wonder if people saying we should teach the bible in school realize that they are going to you know, make sure you can't make atheist out of it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
11-11-2014, 08:44 AM
(11-11-2014 08:42 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  We can compromise and offer two elective classes: 1. Critical Investigation of The Holy Bible 2. Creationism

3. Critical investigation of the holey pants

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
11-11-2014, 08:51 AM
I studied the world religions in my 7th grade history class - we each had to do a 3 page essay, poster presentation, and oral presentation about the religion's founding and belief system. My assignment was Confucianism.

I had a mythology course as a senior in high school, and my teacher covered the genesis creation story and Noah's ark right along with Zeus.

And he was an atheist. And yes, this was Alabama public school.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-11-2014, 08:55 AM
(11-11-2014 08:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 08:25 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  The theology of the bible shouldn't be taught, and if it is, should be taught as Greek mythology is. The bible as a literary text is a MUST for any and every school in English speaking nations (specifically the King James version) because it is the single most significant contributor to the English language.

No, Shakespeare contributed actual words to the language. The Bible may arguably be the most significant contributor to English literature.

Contribution doesn't just refer to new words. On the other hand, what makes you think/know that Shakespeare contributed more?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
11-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I just read the bible by myself when I was 12 and it fixed my catholicism permanently. Probably didn't help that I had just finished the Brothers Grimm fairy tales. Too many similarities, and I figured I was too old for fairy tales.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post