They really should bring the bible into schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 09:20 AM
RE: They really should bring the bible into schools
(11-11-2014 07:39 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 07:36 AM)microterf Wrote:  I find this quote to be very accurate, and I think if critically taught, it would force more children to realize the fallacies that the bible presents that they obviously won't get in Sunday school or church.

There's the crux of the matter...

Exactly. Teach the Bible to five-year-olds? Brainwashing. Teach the Bible to 16-year-olds (who weren't taught as five-year-olds)? Recipe for skepticism.

[Image: ziFNl.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 09:22 AM
(11-11-2014 07:36 AM)microterf Wrote:  After seeing on Facebook many times how we really should bring the bible into schools and giving this argument careful thought, I would really have to agree. I am reminded of the quote of Isaac Asimov “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

I find this quote to be very accurate, and I think if critically taught, it would force more children to realize the fallacies that the bible presents that they obviously won't get in Sunday school or church.

It.won't work. Absolutely no child is going to read the bible.
[+] 1 user Likes Magoo's post
11-11-2014, 09:23 AM
There's far better mythology and ancient legendary texts.

I'd rather teach Gilgamesh and the Iliad/Odyssey than the bibel... maybe a few short story sections like the Ham story can be helpful

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-11-2014, 09:28 AM
(11-11-2014 08:55 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 08:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, Shakespeare contributed actual words to the language. The Bible may arguably be the most significant contributor to English literature.

Contribution doesn't just refer to new words. On the other hand, what makes you think/know that Shakespeare contributed more?

Shakespeare contributed over 1700 words to the English language as well as many sayings we use.

We use many Biblical references, quotes, and sayings, but how many English words originated in the Bible? Since the Bible was not written in English, we can safely say none.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-11-2014, 09:37 AM
(11-11-2014 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 08:55 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Contribution doesn't just refer to new words. On the other hand, what makes you think/know that Shakespeare contributed more?

Shakespeare contributed over 1700 words to the English language as well as many sayings we use.

We use many Biblical references, quotes, and sayings, but how many English words originated in the Bible? Since the Bible was not written in English, we can safely say none.

Technically any words "originated in the bible" in English are words that originated in Greek/Herbrew then transferred into English through their main usage in the bible but via the language itself.

Yeah and Shakespeare wrote massively more words and phrases that were never found in English writing prior to him, but even that isn't the most significant contributor to the English Language. That would still be in contest with the Viking's invasions in establishing a big language shift in their Danelaw and probably the winner, the Norman invasion solidifying English with immense amounts of Latin/French based verbiage and forms.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-11-2014, 10:32 AM
(11-11-2014 09:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 08:55 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Contribution doesn't just refer to new words. On the other hand, what makes you think/know that Shakespeare contributed more?

That may be so but like I said contributing words to the English language is only one aspect. I don't have any evidence other than what I've seen other academics say and my own mental faculties so you might be right.

I believe Homer's epic poems are also some of the biggest contributors.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.