They say "Darwinism" and get away with it...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 08:30 PM
They say "Darwinism" and get away with it...
Have you ever noticed that the religious often say "Darwinism" when they refer to the concept of Evolution and Natural Selection - and they get away with it? I mean, have you ever heard someone refer to Thermodynamics as "Kelvinism", or to Mechanics as "Newtonism", or to electromagnetic theory as "Maxwellism"? See my point?

Why do you think they do it? Should we let them do it without saying something?

Thanks.

Julius
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: They say "Darwinism" and get away with it...
I always ask what someone means when they say that.

According to my dictionary:
Darwinism |ˈdärwəˌnizəm|
noun
the theory of the evolution of species by natural selection advanced by Charles Darwin.

Darwin argued that since offspring tend to vary slightly from their parents, mutations that make an organism better adapted to its environment will be encouraged and developed by the pressures of natural selection, leading to the evolution of new species differing widely from one another and from their common ancestors. Darwinism was later developed by the findings of Mendelian genetics (see neo-Darwinian).

DERIVATIVES
Darwinist noun & adjective
___
So, maybe some people just look in the dictionary and go with that, which would be fine with me but very often some people just want to be deliberately obtuse. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Theists aren't the only ones.

Richard Dawkins invented the term Universal Darwinism.

Darwinism is a widely used term.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
23-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I actually don't find it to be offensive. I know that in their minds, religious people use it with a negative connotation, but that's because they're religious. Consider the source. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-03-2013, 12:22 AM
The same people who thing "Darwinism" is a belief system also tend to think that "atheism" is a belief system. I endeavor to disabuse them of that misconception. Beyond that, I do n't really worry about the word they use.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
24-03-2013, 12:28 AM
They also use macro-evolution. I think we should dig a pit and fill it with Christians, but...

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-03-2013, 12:41 AM
(24-03-2013 12:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They also use macro-evolution. I think we should dig a pit and fill it with Christians, but...
Casting Christians into the pit. I like the irony.

Me, I would rather save them. Also ironic, but more my style.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
24-03-2013, 02:21 AM
(24-03-2013 12:41 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(24-03-2013 12:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They also use macro-evolution. I think we should dig a pit and fill it with Christians, but...
Casting Christians into the pit. I like the irony.

Me, I would rather save them. Also ironic, but more my style.
Save them from what, me? Evil_monster

Can love everybody, but you cannot save anybody.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2013, 02:25 AM
I was thinking of saving them from delusion, so yeah, saving them from you...

Laughat

[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
24-03-2013, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2013 03:19 AM by fstratzero.)
(23-03-2013 08:30 PM)Julius Wrote:  Have you ever noticed that the religious often say "Darwinism" when they refer to the concept of Evolution and Natural Selection - and they get away with it? I mean, have you ever heard someone refer to Thermodynamics as "Kelvinism", or to Mechanics as "Newtonism", or to electromagnetic theory as "Maxwellism"? See my point?

Why do you think they do it? Should we let them do it without saying something?

Thanks.

Julius
They do it because they need a name for people who do not think as they do. It's an in-group out-group bias thing.

I don't like the term myself, because they have this straw man version of evolution, and Darwin, that I will never believe in.

When they say darwinian, evolunists, etc...

They really mean from the big bang, to abiogensis, to evolution, to today. Although what they were taught is a strawman version of all these theory's. It's Straw man Science. See video below

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If social darwinism is good, then why does this guy look so unhappy Raymond2 24 636 25-11-2013 10:47 AM
Last Post: houseofcantor