They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 03:40 AM by Anonymous Skeptic.)
They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.
Hi,

I'm a former (?) theist. I don't know if I believe in God anymore. The more I think about Christianity and God, the more absurd and ridiculous it seems, but I'm still reluctant to call myself an atheist (agnostic atheist) because I don't know for sure whether or not I believe God exists. It feels like the main reason I haven't let go of God yet is Pascal's wager, which I guess is silly since it's such a flawed argument. Maybe it's a sign that I actually don't believe in God if I have to resort to Pascal's wager in order to stay in the religion. I can't help that I'm terrified of hell though. The indoctrination is strong with this one.

Anyway, I've questioned Christianity (and religion in general) for quite a while now, I think about it almost all the time, and I devour all things I can find on the subject. Sometimes I try to talk to Christians about it but almost every time I do, they tell me that I'm thinking too much and that I need to get back to a simpler view of God. They also tend to tell me I'm not seeking God the correct way. They say I should stop being so intellectual about faith because it supposedly closes me off from God and from feeling his presence. Could they be right? Any thoughts on this? I'm worried about coming to the conclusion that I don't believe in God when he in fact does exist and I've just sought him the wrong way. Do you know what I mean? How do I get over thoughts like that?

Thanks for reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Anonymous Skeptic's post
31-08-2017, 03:11 AM
RE: They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.
Don't worry about labels and names so much, not everything is clean, neat, and small enough to be crammed into a bumper-sticker sized slogan.

Also, you're right to doubt those who tell you that you are thinking too hard about something. Nearly everything else gets better with more thinking, and yet it is the anathema of faith; that aught to tell you something. Thinking more about things has, over time, gotten us closer to understanding how things actually work. We need no longer cower in fear of angry volcano or earthquake gods, because we understand plate tectonics; no god is needed to explain those natural phenomena anymore.

A supposed truth that fears evidence is no truth at all.

TL;DR - Those who ask you to seek truth (or pretend to have it) while simultaneously asking you to shut off your critical mind, have historically been shown to be almost universally full of shit. Act accordingly.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-08-2017, 05:22 AM
Hello! Big Grin

Hug

Not at work
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
31-08-2017, 05:43 AM
The first clue that you're on the right track -

When the devout tell you you're " thinking too much".

Yeah, thinking and " faith" don't go well together.....

Think about it.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
31-08-2017, 06:24 AM
I haven't ever really experienced being scared of hell, so I'm not really sure what you're going through. All I can say is that if you think about it, the only reason you're really hanging on is out of fear. It's very difficult to reconcile the all knowing, all loving, omniscient god utilizing something so base and primal as fear of hell to keep his flock in line. Without that little gem, I'm sure the rates of atheism would skyrocket. Coincidence? Not likely since it fits very well that religious leaders needed to ensure a way to keep the money flowing. What better way than the promise of eternal fire and damnation if their followers stopped believing?

Don't listen to them and keep thinking.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 2 users Like reeveseb's post
31-08-2017, 06:29 AM
What you're friends are clearly displaying is their own uncertainty about the existence of God. Reason and scientific evidence have never come to the aid of faith. You have nothing to fear and everything to gain from an honest pursuit of the truth.

“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.” (Thomas Jefferson) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
31-08-2017, 06:49 AM
(31-08-2017 03:00 AM)Anonymous Skeptic Wrote:  I don't know if I believe in God anymore. The more I think about Christianity and God, the more absurd and ridiculous it seems, but I'm still reluctant to call myself an atheist (agnostic atheist) because I don't know for sure whether or not I believe God exists.

I can't help that I'm terrified of hell though. The indoctrination is strong with this one.

Sometimes I try to talk to Christians about it but almost every time I do, they tell me that I'm thinking too much and that I need to get back to a simpler view of God. They also tend to tell me I'm not seeking God the correct way.

You don't need to be certain God doesn't exist to be an atheist, you just have to stop believing in God because it makes no sense. So it sounds like you are almost an atheist already.

Indoctrination weakens over time if you ignore it. It may take a while. Just hold fast to what seems reasonable.

No matter how reasonable you are or how much time you spent, some people will still think you didn't seek God the right way, or have the wrong God concept, if you are not a believer. Atheists learn to live with that.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
31-08-2017, 07:10 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 07:14 AM by Robvalue.)
Sorry to hear what you're going through.

As for "not seeking him the right way", what a load of garbage. What they mean is you're not interpreting events and emotions as being from some invisible being. If this thing wants you to find it, you'll find it. If it need the help of a load of busybodies, like it's trapped in some abandoned building, it's not something worth worrying about. If it's deliberately hiding, playing some childish game of hide and seek, I say leave it to it. What a wanker. Almost everyone who "finds it" has had it shoved in their face since before they could think properly. So it's hardly hiding from them.

I don't know whether there was "a creator" or not. I don't care either, it makes no difference to anything. I am however as sure as I can be that the Christian God is a work of fiction. It's not just in the same league as other fictional characters, it's in its own as being way more absurd, requires way more unfounded assumptions, and doesn't even make sense within itself. It's not even clear what it would mean for it to be real, because the one source we have is contradictory. Christians would, no doubt, point to any sufficiently powerful, impressive thing and say, "it means that!" There's a world of difference between some generic creator, which we would know nothing about, and a magic dead Jew on a stick that has hangups about masturbation.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
31-08-2017, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 07:21 AM by Banjo.)
Never having been religious, I find I have no advice.

It may comfort you to know that Christianity may never have survived had not Constantine made a political alliance to gain power.

Your real god is Constantine the Great.

While making life hell for others, he gave licence for some to pass it onto you.

It's hell on earth. No need to imagine anything worse. To me it's a waste of time.

IHTH.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
31-08-2017, 07:20 AM
In case it helps, here's a couple of vids I made about this kind of thing, and my website:

http://robvalue.wixsite.com/atheism

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post