They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 07:54 AM
RE: They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.
(31-08-2017 07:20 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  In case it helps, here's a couple of vids I made about this kind of thing, and my website.

If I thought I heard God speaking to me, and still had my wits about me afterwards, I would have to assume something had gone seriously wrong with my brain.

That would be the simplest explanation.

Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
31-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Thank you for all the replies! I really appreciate it. How would you respond to people who tell you not to be so intellectual when trying to figure out what to believe about God?

(31-08-2017 07:10 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  As for "not seeking him the right way", what a load of garbage. What they mean is you're not interpreting events and emotions as being from some invisible being. If this thing wants you to find it, you'll find it.

That's what I'm hoping. Just having faith doesn't make sense to me anymore but I keep having all these "what-if thoughts" and I worry about the Christians being right. Like you said, I'm no longer interpreting events and emotions as being from some invisible being and I honestly don't really see any evidence of God's existence, but the thought of being wrong plagues me. The thought of hell and being punished forever freaks me the fuck out.

(31-08-2017 06:49 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  You don't need to be certain God doesn't exist to be an atheist, you just have to stop believing in God because it makes no sense. So it sounds like you are almost an atheist already.

I know I don't have to be certain that God doesn't exist to be an atheist, but I'm not certain whether or not I believe he exists. I, too, think it sounds like I'm almost an atheist already and I really might be, but I'm so scared of being wrong I think I'm afraid of actually admitting that. On some level I think I'm scared that God will be furious with me, which doesn't really make sense if I'm an atheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Anonymous Skeptic's post
31-08-2017, 09:55 AM
(31-08-2017 09:50 AM)Anonymous Skeptic Wrote:  Thank you for all the replies! I really appreciate it. How would you respond to people who tell you not to be so intellectual when trying to figure out what to believe about God?

What other important decision in your life are you advised to go into wholly without facts or thought? Either there is a reason you aren't allowed to think about it or it isn't an important decision.

Quote:I know I don't have to be certain that God doesn't exist to be an atheist, but I'm not certain whether or not I believe he exists. I, too, think it sounds like I'm almost an atheist already and I really might be, but I'm so scared of being wrong I think I'm afraid of actually admitting that. On some level I think I'm scared that God will be furious with me, which doesn't really make sense if I'm an atheist.

Indoctrination is hard to break. Give it a rest, live your life without god for a while, and let your subconscious figure out what you believe. Watch Julia Sweeney again.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
31-08-2017, 10:29 AM
(31-08-2017 09:50 AM)Anonymous Skeptic Wrote:  Thank you for all the replies! I really appreciate it. How would you respond to people who tell you not to be so intellectual when trying to figure out what to believe about God?

It looks like they view being "intellectual" as something bad. To me it is being curious, toughtful, be methodical with it. It means to think, try to look forward, to learn and to figure things out.
By telling me not to be so intellectual, they just as well could tell me not to be so sane or stop eating. Why would i want to be insane? Why would i want to (intellectually) starve? Why would i want to cease to be curious?

My answer would be along these lines: "Intellect is what really makes humans stand out in the kingdom of animals (one of which we are). Why would you ask me to stop being a human? Why would you ask me to go *back* to be something less? And why would i listen to you if you did?".

I never really understood this anti-intellectualism. Blink
When you are stupid or ignorant it is just pathetic to try and pull everybody else down to your level. I would ask these people to try out and use their intellect for a change before they ask me to shut mine down.

P.S.: In reference to Latin from which all words "intell..." are derived. Intellegere means to understand/figure out. Why would i want to stop trying to understand the world around me? Huh

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
31-08-2017, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2017 12:10 PM by Anonymous Skeptic.)
(31-08-2017 09:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Indoctrination is hard to break. Give it a rest, live your life without god for a while, and let your subconscious figure out what you believe. Watch Julia Sweeney again.

My life probably wouldn't be different at all if lived life without God for a while. I mean, I don't go to church, I don't read the Bible (except for now that I'm trying to read it from a non-Christian kind of perspective), I don't have any Christian friends, I'm gay and I'm going on my first ever date with a woman soon despite what the Bible has to say about that, etc. I do pray sometimes but that's pretty much something I do reflexively and I'm not sure it actually means anything. My life wouldn't change if I started to identify as an atheist. I think the only difference would be that I'd be free from the guilt of not being a "good Christian." Just wish the fear would go away.

I'm already sort of grieving the loss of my faith.

(31-08-2017 10:29 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  I never really understood this anti-intellectualism. Blink
When you are stupid or ignorant it is just pathetic to try and pull everybody else down to your level. I would ask these people to try out and use their intellect for a change before they ask me to shut mine down.

I agree. I tend to think that people who tell me that I'm thinking too much are actually thinking too little.
[+] 3 users Like Anonymous Skeptic's post
31-08-2017, 11:52 AM

(31-08-2017 07:10 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  As for "not seeking him the right way", what a load of garbage. What they mean is you're not interpreting events and emotions as being from some invisible being. If this thing wants you to find it, you'll find it.

That's what I'm hoping. Just having faith doesn't make sense to me anymore but I keep having all these "what-if thoughts" and I worry about the Christians being right. Like you said, I'm no longer interpreting events and emotions as being from some invisible being and I honestly don't really see any evidence of God's existence, but the thought of being wrong plagues me. The thought of hell and being punished forever freaks me the fuck out.

(31-08-2017 06:49 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  You don't need to be certain God doesn't exist to be an atheist, you just have to stop believing in God because it makes no sense. So it sounds like you are almost an atheist already.

I know I don't have to be certain that God doesn't exist to be an atheist, but I'm not certain whether or not I believe he exists. I, too, think it sounds like I'm almost an atheist already and I really might be, but I'm so scared of being wrong I think I'm afraid of actually admitting that. On some level I think I'm scared that God will be furious with me, which doesn't really make sense if I'm an atheist.

Yes, sadly the threat of hell is an extremely powerful tool used by the religious. But what kind of deranged maniac goes around torturing things it created for the crime of using the brain it gave them and asking questions? Why would something which is supposedly massively powerful be so insecure as to need constant praise from us? Nothing about it makes any sense.

I covered it in my video, but if you're "wrong" about there being no god, that doesn't make Christianity right. In fact, it doesn't make any of the current religions right. You'd still have a one in infinity chance, given all the possible religions based on all possible gods. You can't live your life so as to avoid every bogey man the mind can conjure. It's literally impossible. You're only taking this one so seriously because it's been drilled into you, but it's just as unlikely as any other. But I know all too well how emotional beliefs and fears can trump the logical. Give it time, and things will sort themselves out.

All we can do is look at the evidence, and it all points to there being nothing after death anyway.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2017, 11:53 AM
(31-08-2017 11:48 AM)Anonymous Skeptic Wrote:  I'm already sort of grieving the loss of my faith.

That's normal. Anytime you lose a big chunk of your life there is grief, even if the loss is ultimately for the better. The only thing that helps in the end is time.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
31-08-2017, 11:54 AM
(31-08-2017 03:00 AM)Anonymous Skeptic Wrote:  How do I get over thoughts like that?

Study your Bible.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-08-2017, 11:59 AM
(31-08-2017 11:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 03:00 AM)Anonymous Skeptic Wrote:  How do I get over thoughts like that?

Study your Bible.
Tongue

Yup, most Christians have never properly read their bible. It's the number one book for deconversions. Read it, and laugh at how truly stupid it all is. These guys can help.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2017, 12:27 PM
(31-08-2017 07:54 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 07:20 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  In case it helps, here's a couple of vids I made about this kind of thing, and my website.

If I thought I heard God speaking to me, and still had my wits about me afterwards, I would have to assume something had gone seriously wrong with my brain.

That would be the simplest explanation.

Hobo

I just figured it meant I AM God. That seems the simplest explanation. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post