They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 12:47 PM
RE: They tell me I'm seeking God the wrong way.
Seems to me 'god' is and always was a psychological phenomenon. Perhaps you can have some comfort from thinking of it that way? Of course an afterlife and miraculous physical occurrences are off the table under that understanding. But if you suspect it isn't literally true anyhow, what really are you giving up?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
31-08-2017, 12:49 PM
(31-08-2017 12:47 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Seems to me 'god' is and always was a psychological phenomenon. Perhaps you can have some comfort from thinking of it that way? Of course an afterlife and miraculous physical occurrences are off the table under that understanding. But if you suspect it isn't literally true anyhow, what really are you giving up?

You mean, like people looking for a parent figure because they were trained to their parents when they were kids?

Huh
31-08-2017, 12:51 PM
(31-08-2017 12:49 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(31-08-2017 12:47 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Seems to me 'god' is and always was a psychological phenomenon. Perhaps you can have some comfort from thinking of it that way? Of course an afterlife and miraculous physical occurrences are off the table under that understanding. But if you suspect it isn't literally true anyhow, what really are you giving up?

You mean, like people looking for a parent figure because they were trained to their parents when they were kids?

Huh

I think he means more like the Vonnegut quote in his siggie.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
31-08-2017, 01:07 PM
(31-08-2017 12:49 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

Huh

Done poorly, religion infantilizes its adherents. But I've met some theists who avoid that pitfall. Rare though. Like finding an agnostic theist.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post