They've done all they can do...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2017, 07:00 PM
RE: They've done all they can do...
(08-04-2017 06:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 06:49 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  You just know too that someone will probably say that God allowed it to happen to test the parents or something equally asinine. Or even worse, "god needed a new angel in heaven".

Fortunately I've eliminated the chance of having to read that by unfriending them.
A preemptive strike if you will. Smile

I have recently done a Facebook cleanup.

I no longer want to see posts (especially pictures) of badly abused and injured animals. And I declared that I don't do the like/Amen/share shit as I don't think that any god (if there were any) would give a shit about social media.

And, I just can't care that your prayers saved you from the terrible weather that your god sent your way.

The culling has been a good thing.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-04-2017, 07:01 PM
(08-04-2017 06:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 06:49 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  You just know too that someone will probably say that God allowed it to happen to test the parents or something equally asinine. Or even worse, "god needed a new angel in heaven".

Fortunately I've eliminated the chance of having to read that by unfriending them.

I've got to go home in May to a funeral for my Grandmother and I'm going to have to duct tape my head so it doesn't explode and tie my hands behind my back. Come to think on it some duct tape for the mouth will most likely be in order. My Grandmother believed in God but she wasn't a Christian.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
08-04-2017, 07:02 PM
They've done all they can do...
Prayer for events like this are ridiculous. It gives people the illusion that they are doing something while actually doing nothing. A few years ago a church group from S. California was having a retreat in Yosemite. Two kids were swept away by the Merced River. A search was immediately launched. The next day the bulk of the church people went home. The parents and a few stalwarts stayed and searched. Those who went home held a prayer vigil. The search parties found the bodies of the boys a couple of days later. The prayer vigil had accomplished exactly nothing. But it gave those who prayed the satisfaction of thinking they were doing something while not interfering too much with their outside lives.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the story of this accident at all. It's implausible in the extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 5 users Like Rachel's post
08-04-2017, 07:04 PM
(08-04-2017 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 06:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  Fortunately I've eliminated the chance of having to read that by unfriending them.

I have recently done a Facebook cleanup.

I no longer want to see posts (especially pictures) of badly abused and injured animals. And I declared that I don't do the like/Amen/share shit as I don't think that any god (if there were any) would give a shit about social media.

And, I just can't care that your prayers saved you from the terrible weather that your god sent your way.

The culling has been a good thing.

So true, I'm gonna get me some more atheist friends. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-04-2017, 07:12 PM
(08-04-2017 06:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Thou I do feel bad for the kid, Really bad, especially if the parents i rely on prays from facebook to heal him, instead of a hospital. I just want to take this opportunity to complain about those damn prayer posts. 1 like = 1 prayer and type Amen if you agree.

I feel like these are the chain letters of the internet. And i'd would have liked to believe that other people don't really believe dumb post as such. But i'm often disproven.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Thanks.

Edit: OH I heard a good term for this today. It was called a Slacktavist.

SLACK be upon him.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-04-2017, 07:27 PM
They are the chain letters now for sure, commonsensei. As much as this example sucks, it pales in comparison to the troll prayer requests for obvious bullshit stories that fly around the world at Mach speed, creating a disturbance in the Dumb.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
08-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Snopes should be the first button pressed when seeing glurjy items like this - actually when seeing just about anything these days Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
08-04-2017, 09:15 PM
(08-04-2017 07:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Prayer for events like this are ridiculous. It gives people the illusion that they are doing something while actually doing nothing. A few years ago a church group from S. California was having a retreat in Yosemite. Two kids were swept away by the Merced River. A search was immediately launched. The next day the bulk of the church people went home. The parents and a few stalwarts stayed and searched. Those who went home held a prayer vigil. The search parties found the bodies of the boys a couple of days later. The prayer vigil had accomplished exactly nothing. But it gave those who prayed the satisfaction of thinking they were doing something while not interfering too much with their outside lives.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the story of this accident at all. It's implausible in the extreme.

I tend to agree with this. If it did happen, most any good trauma surgeon could take care of this, IF the child was still alive when they got to the hospital. The "not doing well" makes no sense. An otherwise healthy child could survive this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-04-2017, 09:20 PM
(08-04-2017 09:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Prayer for events like this are ridiculous. It gives people the illusion that they are doing something while actually doing nothing. A few years ago a church group from S. California was having a retreat in Yosemite. Two kids were swept away by the Merced River. A search was immediately launched. The next day the bulk of the church people went home. The parents and a few stalwarts stayed and searched. Those who went home held a prayer vigil. The search parties found the bodies of the boys a couple of days later. The prayer vigil had accomplished exactly nothing. But it gave those who prayed the satisfaction of thinking they were doing something while not interfering too much with their outside lives.

I tend to agree with this. If it did happen, most any good trauma surgeon could take care of this, IF the child was still alive when they got to the hospital. The "not doing well" makes no sense. An otherwise healthy child could survive this.

Agreed.
A brad is a small finishing nail. It's not like a 16b sinker used for nailing studs together.
09-04-2017, 06:06 AM
Just think of it as a bit of chlorine in the gene pool......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.