They've done all they can do...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 08:56 AM
RE: They've done all they can do...
Dom, I read it as "School of Unnecessary Prayer" and "How to Be an Unnecessary Prayer Warrior" Love my brain sometimes Big Grin

ResidentEvilFan, to be fair, I deeply resent the whole idea of the warrior, the soldier as the apotheosis of man's greatness. Fuck this shit. I want to live in a world where our heroes are scientists and astronauts, and doctors, men of knowledge and arts; people who teach and heal, not those who preach and kill.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
09-04-2017, 09:02 AM
(08-04-2017 07:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Prayer for events like this are ridiculous. It gives people the illusion that they are doing something while actually doing nothing. A few years ago a church group from S. California was having a retreat in Yosemite. Two kids were swept away by the Merced River. A search was immediately launched. The next day the bulk of the church people went home. The parents and a few stalwarts stayed and searched. Those who went home held a prayer vigil. The search parties found the bodies of the boys a couple of days later. The prayer vigil had accomplished exactly nothing. But it gave those who prayed the satisfaction of thinking they were doing something while not interfering too much with their outside lives.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the story of this accident at all. It's implausible in the extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

> It sounds implausible to me too. I've used several types and brands of nail guns. The can't be fired like a projectile weapon unless the safety mechanism is broken or had been bypassed. Consider
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2017, 09:44 AM
(08-04-2017 05:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  "PRAYERS NEEDED :Urgent prayer request! Kayla S****'s 22 month old son accidentally shot himself in the chest with a brad nailer (construction nail gun). It went off in his heart ~ He is now in critical condition and not doing well neither is his mom ~ Please start a prayer chain for this baby Please copy & re-post. As you would want someone to do it for you, thanx guys I wanna see this as your status for at least half hr please!!!!"

^^^3 Hours ago this was posted on Facebook. ^^^

I guess the concern is over and it's in god's hands now because she just checked into a sports-bar 9 minutes ago for adult beverages.

This is (was) an apparent hoax dating back around seven years, and was never confirmed as accurate anyway.

People need to understand that there's more bullshit posted on Facebook than any other site on the WWW. And this nonsense is a classic example. I can only suggest that before re-posting unfounded or doubtful, emotive Facebook claims on other sites that their source(s) are thoroughly checked prior to.

In this case, I note the rider about the sports bar! Tongue

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-04-2017, 03:37 PM
(09-04-2017 08:47 AM)Dom Wrote:  Oh my dog, I just went to youtube to look for a vid about prayer warriors. There are lots. I ended up coming across this, I can't believe he believes this.

All of that just to get some endorphins to be released in your brain. Gasp

It would help if these losers got laid once in a while...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
09-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Just posted on FB by someone I know.

“Prayer Warriors, pray for John Blackwell Jr., a guy I sorta know who is in critical condition after fighting brain tumors for quite a while.”

Facepalm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-04-2017, 06:10 PM
What I find incredibly stupid is this idea that you need to get as many people as possible praying for someone -- as if God has some kind of prayer threshold before he'll bother intervening.

I guess, to these fuckwits' minds, who receives divine intervention is nothing more than a popularity contest.

I saw a cartoon somewhere recently, in fact, that showed a doctor talking to a distraut woman. The caption read something like, "I'm sorry, Mrs. Jones. Your husband was just 2 Facebook prayer requests away from pulling through."

Heh heh, how ... apt.

I guess people who are alone in the world better have some real bang-up doctors because they ain't gettin' diddly-shit from God.

I always envision in my mind the typical bearded man representation of God standing invisibly by a patient's bedside with one of those old fashioned clickers that counted for you -- the kind people used to use in grocery stores to add up prices before there were pocket calculators.

And there's God with that silly clicker hitting the button every time a prayer comes through. "Only 217 more prayers to go ..." *click* "216."

*click*

"215. You can do it Mrs. Magillicutty."

*click*

"214"

*click*

*beeeeeeeeep as the heart monitor flatlines*

"Oh well. I'm a businessman, after all, and I need to accumulate more prayers than Allah and Ganesh if I'm going to compete ..."

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 4 users Like Shirina's post
09-04-2017, 06:48 PM
To the best of my recollection the thought process, such as it was, was not so much that god needed quantity so much as quality. So piling in as many petitioners as possible was a hedge against you not praying well enough, with enough faith, with pure enough motives, and so forth. Sort of like having lots of character witnesses so that god could better weigh your worthiness.

Of course, it amounts to the same thing, really. God isn't going to show your loved one (or you) mercy, compassion, empathy out of concern for your suffering or welfare, he's going to throw adversity at you to see if you can pray your way out of it using your hoarded holiness chips. And if not, well, tough patooties.
09-04-2017, 09:32 PM
(09-04-2017 09:02 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 07:02 PM)Rachel Wrote:  Prayer for events like this are ridiculous. It gives people the illusion that they are doing something while actually doing nothing. A few years ago a church group from S. California was having a retreat in Yosemite. Two kids were swept away by the Merced River. A search was immediately launched. The next day the bulk of the church people went home. The parents and a few stalwarts stayed and searched. Those who went home held a prayer vigil. The search parties found the bodies of the boys a couple of days later. The prayer vigil had accomplished exactly nothing. But it gave those who prayed the satisfaction of thinking they were doing something while not interfering too much with their outside lives.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the story of this accident at all. It's implausible in the extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

> It sounds implausible to me too. I've used several types and brands of nail guns. The can't be fired like a projectile weapon unless the safety mechanism is broken or had been bypassed. Consider

All you have to do is pull back on the safety tip and fire away. We used to do it all the time shooting at stuff on our break such as prairie dogs and the like. I saw a guy put a 3 1/2 inch nail in his thy because he had his finger on the trigger and bumped his leg when he stumbled walking a wall, nailing the top plate.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post