Things I Can't Find on Google

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2017, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 08:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
Things I Can't Find on Google
So these things have popped into my head a couple of times now and I can't for the life of me find the references no matter how much I google.

The first is a famous writer of some sort (not a science writer) who used to be a famous scientist of some sort (physicist?) who when asked why he gave up science, he said something to the effect that when he realized he could no longer keep up with the young researchers he figured he'd better find something else to do. It's not Stanislaw Lem.

The second I'm not sure whether it's just a literary allusion or a reference to an actual event but I remember encountering it in some existentialist I read somewhere. It was about a young author (existentialism so French obviously) who committed suicide as a means of publicizing his work to get it widely read. It worked. It was widely read and widely panned.

Help me out before I go mad.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2017, 08:29 PM
RE: Things I Can't Find on Google
I'd say John Kennedy O'Toole to your second, but his posthumous novel wasn't widely panned. His name's the only one that popped into my mind, though.
16-06-2017, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 08:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-06-2017 08:29 PM)julep Wrote:  I'd say John Kennedy O'Toole to your second, but his posthumous novel wasn't widely panned. His name's the only one that popped into my mind, though.

Think he was French. I read it in one of them French la fée verte chais chasing existentialist books. Wait, I could have read it in Beckett.

Checked. Not O'Toole. This dude offed himself specifically to bring publicity to his book. That's why I think it might just be a literary allusion of some existentialist trying to make some point about absurdity.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-06-2017, 09:10 PM
I have had similar problems before, only to discover I mis-remembered some detail, which prevented me from searching accurately. It doesn't sound like you're particularly certain of the profession of Example A or nationality of Example B. My best guess is you're wrong on both. On the other hand, there is a band I came across as a teenager (within the time of the internet). I lost their CD at some point. I know the band's name. I know the lyrics to some of the songs. Can't find anything on them or any of their songs on the internet. Up and disappeared like a fart in the wind. In conclusion, this post is useless and I've wasted your time. Sorry about that. Why are you still reading? As the brilliant philosopher George W. Bush said; "Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. [Uncomfortable pause] You fool me, you can't get fooled again!"

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
16-06-2017, 09:14 PM
(16-06-2017 09:10 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have had similar problems before, only to discover I mis-remembered some detail, which prevented me from searching accurately.

You think? I wouldn't be asking for help otherwise. Fucking hillbillies.

16-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I was sure there was a passage in The Count of Monte Christo about the guillotine and heads... continuing to live for a while, or something like this. Or rolling and looking at people? See, am starting to lose even my mis-memories... Blink

No such thing when I reread it recent-ish-ly...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user