Things I'd like to know about... hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Things I'd like to know about... hell
(18-07-2013 10:11 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  ok so, now it becomes even more confusing. I get the "symbolic" part of the carrot ant stick method and how pain or torture on its own would cause some discomfort, understandably. But when believers claim that unbelievers (or those who believe in the supposedly wrong stuff) will end up in this hell, they do mean it literately, don't they? So why in the fuck wouldn't they be able to answer those few simple questions? Wink Come on, if they make the claim that a god (or their god, satan or the easter bunny) exists, just as a part of the natural world, then anything associated with it would also be a part of the natural world, just like heaven or hell. So what's the point if any believer comes up with their own weird vision of both places, that is supposed to exist, for everyone to see (if they look at it)? A while ago, I have posted a thread asking if their god, according to them, is as real as my tea cup. The answer was, yes, it is seen as that real. I can tell where my tea cup is, I can describe it, taste it, touch it... if it's not too hot so you burn your paws.

Your asking for Logic from the illogical and rational thought from the irrational. The answer to all your questions is basically "a Wizard did it" Religion relies on Magical thinking and a suspension of disbelief. Thats why they don't emphasis that as much these day, belief in magic has really fallen off the last century or so.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Ok fine, a wizard did it... and yet they still can't tell how? Lets rephrase it assuming it was magic:

1. what magic wand was used, what is it made of and what are its properties? Is it made from elements we can find on the earth or rather in outer space? Are there many magic wands or just one?
2. what magic spells was used and how exactly did it break the laws of physics? (oh shit, that's too realistic, isn't it?)
3. at what exact time is a body "dead enough" to make it to god's court and are all bodies brought back to life first before they are either sent up or down?

And now that I learned that satan doesn't even run hell, but god does instead... ho lee fuk! That makes god even worse than satan ever could be! Don't laugh... I'm really not so familiar with that kind of stuff.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2013, 12:58 PM
He'll exists in the mind of the believer as an idealized form of justice for perceived wrong-doings. As a social species, we have an innate sense of justice; as a predatory species, that justice is oft more about serving up than being served.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
18-07-2013, 07:04 PM
(18-07-2013 10:33 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Ok fine, a wizard did it... and yet they still can't tell how? Lets rephrase it assuming it was magic:

1. what magic wand was used, what is it made of and what are its properties? Is it made from elements we can find on the earth or rather in outer space? Are there many magic wands or just one?
2. what magic spells was used and how exactly did it break the laws of physics? (oh shit, that's too realistic, isn't it?)
3. at what exact time is a body "dead enough" to make it to god's court and are all bodies brought back to life first before they are either sent up or down?

And now that I learned that satan doesn't even run hell, but god does instead... ho lee fuk! That makes god even worse than satan ever could be! Don't laugh... I'm really not so familiar with that kind of stuff.

1. & 2.: Magic is supernatural, so trying to reconcile with anything natural (elements, physics) doesn't work. Check your mind at the door, it's not used in here.

3.: Good question. I also wonder: if humans have souls, at what point in our evolution did we acquire them? Which was the first proto-human species that got the old Heaven or Hell option? It doesn't seem like a trait that would be selected for.

I think Satan is running Hell, perhaps God is like a silent partner. He's definitely associated somehow since he created everything . So that would include his own nemesis, Satan, Hell itself, lake of fire, all of the demons, and related paraphernalia. Then, of course, he lets Satan do whatever he wants. Nice guy.Evil_monster

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
18-07-2013, 08:24 PM
but even supernatural things must have some, let it be an imaginary theory about how they work?! If not, that's just lame! When I was little, I loved creating fantasy stories about alien fairies and such, but I have worked out all the details on how and where they live, what they and their tools are made of and how they work. Even the "magic aspect" had a made up theory.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
18-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Imaginary beings with imaginary rules quickly ascends to the god unknowable. Comes down to tell who can tell the better story. Tell your story with faith to any theologian. It's a downward spiral.

For me, entropy makes hell ridiculous. Whatever you do with your hydrogen, hydrogen cannot. That's win on a cosmic scale. Hell... the only peeps gonna hell, peeps talkin' smack about my Gwynnies.

[Image: 28fc8397-6248-4d3f-823b-bb84dba4bc91_zps4266896c.jpg]

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
18-07-2013, 08:46 PM
(18-07-2013 08:25 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  just stumbled upon this:

[Image: 800px-NWS_Hell_MI-CC3.jpg]

but joke aside, it seems that christians (maybe muslims too) think that this whole hell thing is as real as the air we breathe and the tea I drink. That raises questions... they might be stupid questions, but perhaps someone can answer:

1. Where exactly is hell located? Ok, we know that when we try to find heaven, we won't find anything in the clouds, outer space looks a wee bit dark for a place like heaven, but heaven isn't the topic just yet. Wink

2. What happens there? I hear about like being on fire for eternity, but how does that work? In a crematory, every body will turn to ashes, and the body doesn't feel any pain since it's dead. So in order to burn "for eternity", how would the body need to be "preserved" or how do they come back to life so they can feel the pain after already being burned or otherwise decomposed?

3. How do they keep the fire running? It would need a tremendous amount (and waste) of energy. Is there any special technology behind this? I mean, like 2000 years ago the word "technology" didn't even exist, but perhaps satan has somehow become more efficient and ecological? Going nuclear might even destroy hell itself though...

4. It's said satan is the boss in hell, is there any communication between him and its inhabitants? Up in heaven, the supposedly chosen ones spend their time worshipping god only, no free time, nothing, at least at his college's allah the guys can fuck 72 virgin chicks first before moving to do business as usual.

All right, that's all I can think of so far. Anyone?

Here is your answers I learned in church. Write this down....err, at least the url, cause I ain't going through the time and effort of explaining all of theses again.

1. Magic
2. Magic
3. Magic
4. Magic

18-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Things I'd like to know about... hell
(18-07-2013 08:25 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  just stumbled upon this:

[Image: 800px-NWS_Hell_MI-CC3.jpg]

but joke aside, it seems that christians (maybe muslims too) think that this whole hell thing is as real as the air we breathe and the tea I drink. That raises questions... they might be stupid questions, but perhaps someone can answer:

1. Where exactly is hell located? Ok, we know that when we try to find heaven, we won't find anything in the clouds, outer space looks a wee bit dark for a place like heaven, but heaven isn't the topic just yet. Wink

2. What happens there? I hear about like being on fire for eternity, but how does that work? In a crematory, every body will turn to ashes, and the body doesn't feel any pain since it's dead. So in order to burn "for eternity", how would the body need to be "preserved" or how do they come back to life so they can feel the pain after already being burned or otherwise decomposed?

3. How do they keep the fire running? It would need a tremendous amount (and waste) of energy. Is there any special technology behind this? I mean, like 2000 years ago the word "technology" didn't even exist, but perhaps satan has somehow become more efficient and ecological? Going nuclear might even destroy hell itself though...

4. It's said satan is the boss in hell, is there any communication between him and its inhabitants? Up in heaven, the supposedly chosen ones spend their time worshipping god only, no free time, nothing, at least at his college's allah the guys can fuck 72 virgin chicks first before moving to do business as usual.

All right, that's all I can think of so far. Anyone?

From my time as a Catholic this is what I was taught:

1. Hell is a spiritual place and does not exist in time or place.
2. People are consumed by fire and all other manner of torments, but mostly they are bummed that they don't have god.
3. The fire is not material and thus needs no fuel.
4. The various souls don't see each other because they are too busy being tortured, but they do see satan and the demons.

This is what the priests taught me, but among the faithful there is no agreement. Some have even looked for a physical hell, though I can't imagine why anyone would want to find hell. Some people, eh? Wink

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
18-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm not too up on hell, but these places are real at least.

Fucking (Austria)
French Lick (Indiana, USA)
Boring (Oregon, USA)
Dildo (Newfoundland, Canada)
Blowhard (Australia)
Fart (Virginia, USA)
Big Bone Lick (USA)
Poopoo (Hawaii, USA)
Pussy creek (Ohio, USA)
My Large Intestine (Texas, USA)
Ass (Ukraine)
Cockburn (Western Australia)
Wetwang (England)
Disappointment (Kentucky, USA)
Whiskey Dick Mountain (Washington State, USA)
Looneyville, Texas, USA)
Hooker (Oklahoma, USA)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...CAI1dFYaTw
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...BQ&dur=179
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...Aw&dur=258

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb-8Ny2faVgTMH2am3IIC...j1icS4brrg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-07-2013, 09:18 PM
(18-07-2013 09:03 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  From my time as a Catholic this is what I was taught:

1. Hell is a spiritual place and does not exist in time or place.
2. People are consumed by fire and all other manner of torments, but mostly they are bummed that they don't have god.
3. The fire is not material and thus needs no fuel.
4. The various souls don't see each other because they are too busy being tortured, but they do see satan and the demons.

This is what the priests taught me, but among the faithful there is no agreement. Some have even looked for a physical hell, though I can't imagine why anyone would want to find hell. Some people, eh? Wink

Quit copying me! Tongue