Things I hate about Athiest.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2011, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2011 06:09 PM by NotSoVacuous.)
Things I hate about Athiest.
I am an atheist and I am tired of all the circle jerking going on around here. Lets pick out our flaws and work on them.

It annoys me when a person who claims to be a rational and intelligent atheist will spend hours arguing with a creationist (who could possibly be a troll) on the internet. Know when a mind can't be argued with is all I am saying.

I find myself doing this.
Atheist are always on the defensive in arguments, scrambling for sources and facts. Stop it, you have a guy in front of you saying he believes in unicorns, either make him establish his reason for believing in said unicorn or stop arguing.

Aliens, I am all for making an educated guess that they do exist somewhere. But I swear to god, if I hear another atheist tell me they think they have been on this planet or are currently among us, I will snap. Just snap. Basically I despise atheist being religious on other topics.

I will add more to this list when I start remembering what angers me about you and myself. Feel free to post and be modest.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2011, 01:41 AM
RE: Things I hate about Athiest.
I am not a fan of atheist's saying religious people are unintelligent. If anyone understood the basics of neurology, they'd understand how brainwashing works, and how a neuronal path of fear can be sooo imbedded in the brain. It's scary to defy what a church states as 'true' and to do the very things you have known as evil. Sad it's sad, really. It is not for a lack of intelligence, it is bred ignorance.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
22-07-2011, 03:22 AM
I agree, ladyjane.

Religious people are not inherently unintelligent, but are usually afraid of church or god or some tosh like that. That fear is paralyzing.

I think that we as atheists can sometimes come off as overly blunt or lacking tact. Then again that just might be a human thing...

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
22-07-2011, 06:44 AM
(22-07-2011 01:41 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I am not a fan of atheist's saying religious people are unintelligent. If anyone understood the basics of neurology, they'd understand how brainwashing works, and how a neuronal path of fear can be sooo imbedded in the brain. It's scary to defy what a church states as 'true' and to do the very things you have known as evil. Sad it's sad, really. It is not for a lack of intelligence, it is bred ignorance.

Most atheist's were once religious - eg. me! How can you blame others for believing the same bullshit you yourself got conned with. Sure i'm pissed off with myself for being that gullible and ignorant, but shit happens... (and allot of it's created by other ignorant assholes or fraudsters.)

I know I can be quite harsh sometimes. I am angry with the harm religion has done in my life/family and I see the harm it does to humanity in general. When I express my contempt towards religion it's not really directed at the person or poster. It's usually directed at the idea. Only exception being someone who seems unwilling to listen and just wants to shove some crap in my face.

Religion is stupid. The person may or may not be intelligent. Believers can be educated or ignorant. Believers come in all flavors and sizes as do atheists.

There still is a statistically significant negative correlation between education/intelligence level and religiosity. Cold hard facts...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
22-07-2011, 07:41 AM
I think the mentality that the religious are stupid comes from several places, but in the instance where many of us were once religious, or raised under religious influences, what's occurring is basic projection.

When I let go of superstition and religious thought, I felt STUPID for having believed the things I did. I felt DUPED. I felt DUMB. And yes, I felt ANGRY. So to hear those around me state the same things that I once had stated or once believed, stirred up all those feelings again, so it was easy to lash out. I still fight that urge. I still get angry and irritated. But I'm getting better at freely admitting the silly things I used to believe and why I don't believe them any more, and letting go of the negative vibes associated with them.

As to what I hate, I agree that I have a problem with atheists who are not also trying to be rational skeptics. None of us are 100% without irrationalities, and never will be, but we should try our best to be critical thinking skeptics along with the atheism. Atheism is generally a result of skepticism applied to religion. They're not always intertwined, but they should be.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
22-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I rarely use the word 'hate', and certainly not applied to people i generally agree with ('coz, then what emotion would be left for the people who want to dam the Amazon?)
but there are a few tendencies that irritate me.

Certainly, arguing science with creationists is one. Since they have a negative grasp on science (that is, far worse than not understanding or even misunderstanding, what they are positive they know is patently false, so they're starting from way below sea level) almost everything we can possibly say falls into a hole and is lost.

Certainly, demanding proof of God's existence - or any version thereof, including, "Well, if God created the universe, who created God? Huh?" - or arguing about proof of anything in religion - is utterly futile. They know, and we know that the one method is inapplicable to the other system.

I also dislike the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Giant Potato Chip and all their ilk. Juvenile, ineffective and narrow in scope. (The great Pumpkin is all right.) These are different from unicorns and tooth fairies in that they are created for the sole purpose of ridicule. For satire, Terry Pratchett, James Morrow and Monty Python did a far better job.

The religious can do pseudo-science quite well, but we do pseudo-theology very badly. Must try harder.... and be a lot more sophisticated.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
22-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I am a master of pseudo lesbianism =p

The thing that generally bothers me about atheists is that a lot of them are empiracle to an extreme. You don't need mountains of evidence for every choice you make in life. It's ok to sometimes do things just for the sake of desire, we don't have to become mechanical in order to live successful lives.

Stoicism is a practice I've never agreed with >.> I like "animal tendencies"

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I agree with mocking religious view on the whole because they are ridiculous but not mocking the individuals. If someone tells me their religious opinion on a science matter I will disagree with them and explain my position, but I do not mock them. I will mock creationists as a whole because as a group they are ignorant. Individually they can* (important emphasis on CAN) be intelligent. Often times they perform some amazing acrobatic feats to make their religious worldview fit and that requires at least some intelligence (I don't agree with it and I will express that by poking holes in their logic).

As far as atheists go the only irritating thing we do as a group is tote around a serious case of narcissism. There are those atheists who see themselves as intellectually superior and try to make themselves sound smart by talking a lot and not saying anything (this is a pet peeve of mine that applies to anyone and everyone else as well). These atheists make things unnecessarily confusing and instead of clarifying a point they make simply default to insulting those they are speaking to. If you do not understand it well enough to explain it in a basic and simple way then you do not understand it very well so stop acting like you do!!!! This is not to say that I do not do this as well (this post) but I try to catch myself and restrain myself from doing it.

And using/abusing statistics, atheists are as guilty of this as anyone else. There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Statistics in a mathematical/scientific sense can be used to describe nature but lines get very blurry when trying to use the same statistical approaches in society. For instance, saying that the prison population is made up of a vast majority of religious people and almost no atheists/agnostics is a loaded statement. This is not necessarily due to their religion but socioeconomic standing, mental state, childhood or any other number of factors. They may have been raised in a bad area in a state with poor education and are unaware of anything other than believing in a religion, this same person with a better education may have never committed a crime and been arrested but remain religious. Acting like statistics are infallible and that they are always attributable to one simple explanation is a gross oversimplification.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
22-07-2011, 01:48 PM
The problem with atheists is that they talk so much about gods (Richard Dawkins?)

IMO
I agree...
I think we should cut the pissing and moaning, move on and create our own philosophical scope in the world.

By creating a classification system.
The best classification system in the world!
bwhahaha
Crawl before me you mere mortals and dance for my amusement
daaaaaaance I say!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 3 users Like Observer's post
22-07-2011, 01:50 PM
What I don't like about myself is that I do not know how to keep calm when people start saying religious nonsense and I feel constantly desperate to point out why religious ideas are rubbish. I wish I was more like Daniel Dennet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes angry_liberal's post