Things I have discovered since I gave up god…

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Things I have discovered since I gave up god…
I may add more later on. However, these are the biggest thoughts that I am currently pondering as I undergo this mental metamorphosis.

Dead is dead. This one is most troubling for me. Not because I fear death or oblivion or whatever, but because of unresolved grief that I must now face. There are people whom I loved dearly that have died. Some portion of the grieving process for those people was postponed by the assumption of the existence of an after-life. I comforted myself in the knowledge my grandfather wasn’t really dead, that he had only passed on heaven where I would meet him in time. That false sense of comfort denied me the completion of a grieving process and a true acceptance of his loss. With that security blanket removed, I am forced to emerge from the denial stage of loss and move on with it.

The meaning of life – The purpose of life is to live. The purpose of my life is whatever I choose. I no longer have to meander through life waiting on some sign from god to give me direction. There will be no more looking back saying, “this isn’t the road I would have chosen, but god had a plan for me and so here I am.” I am in control of my actions and can set my own goals.

I will never stop saying “Bless you” when someone sneezes. It is as ingrained in me as the reflex to breathe.

My opinion on religion and government has not changed. Even when my faith was rock solid, I felt that the intermingling of religion and government was a bad idea. Christians should be careful about setting a precedent that they are not prepared to follow should there ever be shift in the majority to a different ideology. Furthermore, if they truly trusted in the omnipotence of god and followed the teachings of the New Testament they would realize two key points:

1. God would not need Christian activism to change laws or leadership; he raises up rulers and lays them low at will. Paul says in Romans 13:1-2 “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.”

2. To be persecuted for their beliefs is the ultimate sacrifice. Indeed, they should even rejoice in their own persecution as it says in Matthew 5:10-12 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven...." To set up a social and political climate that favors Christianity is to deny believers the blessings of god. Just don’t do it!

I can decide my own mortality… sort of – It seems that some parts of my brain have been wired a certain way due to genes handed down to me by my ancestors through natural selection. The result is that there are certain instinctual behaviors to which I am prone that serve to insure the propagation of those genes to future generations. While it may come as a surprise to theists, it is really is only natural to try to preserve life, not take it. This is especially true for those lives that are likely to share a higher degree of genetic similarity (i.e., family, community, etc.) Christians do not have sole ownership of the idea that killing someone is bad.

Furthermore, a heretofore lifetime of living in a predominately Christian culture in the southern US, my young developing brain was nurtured by the social and cultural norms of one particular interpretation of morality. However, working within the constraints of the current lump of goo in my skull, my simple understanding of nature, a developing sense of self-awareness, and the ability to reason, I get to decide from here forward. Of course, there are laws that I must choose to abide by or suffer the consequences of choosing not to obey. It is my responsibility to decide which laws are reasonable, which are worth breaking, and which are worth trying to change.

Conclusion: I am free to think. I am what I choose to be. Well, I can't choose to be a fish, regardless of what Faulkner thought of his mother. Within the confines of the natural world and the parameters of society that are essentially fixed constraints, I am free to make of my existence what I choose it to be.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
08-04-2015, 03:32 PM
RE: Things I have discovered since I gave up god…
(08-04-2015 02:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  With that security blanket removed, I am forced to emerge from the denial stage of loss and move on with it.

IMO, that's a good thing. It also makes you realize how important it is to value the people you care for while you have them.

Quote:I will never stop saying “Bless you” when someone sneezes. It is as ingrained in me as the reflex to breathe.

Then I'm afraid you must turn in your atheist card immediately. No references to god are allowed, god damn it!
Big Grin

Quote:Conclusion: I am free to think. I am what I choose to be. Well, I can't choose to be a fish, regardless of what Faulkner thought of his mother. Within the confines of the natural world and the parameters of society that are essentially fixed constraints, I am free to make of my existence what I choose it to be.

Welcome to reality.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-04-2015, 07:43 PM
unfogged Wrote:
TurkeyBurner Wrote:I will never stop saying “Bless you” when someone sneezes. It is as ingrained in me as the reflex to breathe.

Then I'm afraid you must turn in your atheist card immediately. No references to god are allowed, god damn it!

I didn't say "god" bless you. Just "bless you". I'm thinking of inserting the names of random deities or maybe famous celebrities at the beginning just to see if anyone notices.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
08-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Re: RE: Things I have discovered since I gave up god…
(08-04-2015 07:43 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
unfogged Wrote:Then I'm afraid you must turn in your atheist card immediately. No references to god are allowed, god damn it!

But.. but... you referenced god at "god damn it." Angel

I didn't say "god" bless you. Just "bless you". I'm thinking of inserting the names of random deities or maybe famous celebrities at the beginning just to see if anyone notices.

Substitute Cthulu in the phrase. Or yourself. Maybe just scream "BE HEALED, MY CHILD!" when someone sneezes.
[+] 3 users Like mecanna's post
09-04-2015, 08:25 AM
(08-04-2015 02:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Dead is dead. This one is most troubling for me. Not because I fear death or oblivion or whatever, but because of unresolved grief that I must now face. There are people whom I loved dearly that have died. Some portion of the grieving process for those people was postponed by the assumption of the existence of an after-life. I comforted myself in the knowledge my grandfather wasn’t really dead, that he had only passed on heaven where I would meet him in time. That false sense of comfort denied me the completion of a grieving process and a true acceptance of his loss. With that security blanket removed, I am forced to emerge from the denial stage of loss and move on with it.

I can especially relate to this one. I remember sitting at my fathers deathbed and thinking how much easier would that be if I only believed. But I couldn't.
09-04-2015, 08:51 AM
(08-04-2015 02:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  The meaning of life – The purpose of life is to live. The purpose of my life is whatever I choose. I no longer have to meander through life waiting on some sign from god to give me direction. There will be no more looking back saying, “this isn’t the road I would have chosen, but god had a plan for me and so here I am.” I am in control of my actions and can set my own goals.

So true, well said. I also like the suggestion about Chtulu (pbuh).

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
09-04-2015, 03:55 PM
(08-04-2015 02:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I
Dead is dead. This one is most troubling for me. Not because I fear death or oblivion or whatever, but because of unresolved grief that I must now face. There are people whom I loved dearly that have died. Some portion of the grieving process for those people was postponed by the assumption of the existence of an after-life. I comforted myself in the knowledge my grandfather wasn’t really dead, that he had only passed on heaven where I would meet him in time. That false sense of comfort denied me the completion of a grieving process and a true acceptance of his loss. With that security blanket removed, I am forced to emerge from the denial stage of loss and move on with it.

I will never stop saying “Bless you” when someone sneezes. It is as ingrained in me as the reflex to breathe.

Conclusion: I am free to think. I am what I choose to be. Well, I can't choose to be a fish, regardless of what Faulkner thought of his mother. Within the confines of the natural world and the parameters of society that are essentially fixed constraints, I am free to make of my existence what I choose it to be.

TB

as you point out, the belief in an afterlife may, in some sense, cause you to extend your grieving period. I lost my brother in 1975 when he was 13. I lost my mother 2 years ago at the age of (just short of) 86. I became an atheist in 1964 (give or take). Not believing in an afterlife actually allowed me to say goodbye completely at that time. Perhaps you could take yourself off to a quiet place and say your goodbyes to your grandfather. Not that I'm saying that the love and grief disappears. About 5 years ago, my sister and i were talking and my deceased brother came up in the conversation. Within seconds both us had tears in our eyes and had trouble speaking. You never lose that. Thank God.

Did you see what i did there? Of course you did. I use expressions like "Thank God" all the time. it's part of our Western culture. I also say things like "It's raining cats and dogs", but no furry friends are ever injured.

I like your conclusion. That looks like a solid basis on which to proceed.
09-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Also --

Sleeping in on Sunday is a great thing.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
09-04-2015, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 11:26 PM by Billy Bob.)
Jethro Tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8YLPHZImw

One cockroach at a time.
10-04-2015, 12:11 AM
(08-04-2015 02:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I will never stop saying “Bless you” when someone sneezes. It is as ingrained in me as the reflex to breathe.

Try substituting in "Gesundheit". It is entirely secular in meaning ("good health to you"), slots in where the old habit was very nicely, and raises very few eyebrows.

If you don't like that one, pick something from this list. .... Wikipedia scares me sometimes.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post