Things I have discovered since I gave up god…

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2015, 03:51 AM
RE: Things I have discovered since I gave up god…
(10-04-2015 12:11 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Try substituting in "Gesundheit". It is entirely secular in meaning ("good health to you"), slots in where the old habit was very nicely, and raises very few eyebrows.

In German there isn't even a religious blessing to use when somebody sneezes. It's totally secular. But that said, I don't police the words I use. I say thank god or god damned without even a moments thought. It just comes naturally. They're just words without any real meaning.

Just think of the days of the week. Most are dedicated to some god, in German as well as in english. Monday, the day of the moon, Thursday, the day of Thor, Friday, the day of Frigg, Saturday, the day of Saturn and Sunday the day of the sun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 04:29 AM
(10-04-2015 12:11 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  I will never stop saying “Bless you” when someone sneezes. It is as ingrained in me as the reflex to breathe.

Try substituting in "Gesundheit".

You know who else said Gesundheit? Hitler.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
10-04-2015, 05:30 AM
I'm always saying stuff like Jesus Christ! (Optionally on a stick/cracker.) Or oh my god! Or Satan's nobstick!

It's just the mythology I've been surrounded with invading my vocabulary, it means nothing.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2015, 08:11 AM
(08-04-2015 07:43 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
unfogged Wrote:Then I'm afraid you must turn in your atheist card immediately. No references to god are allowed, god damn it!

I didn't say "god" bless you. Just "bless you". I'm thinking of inserting the names of random deities or maybe famous celebrities at the beginning just to see if anyone notices.

hehe I do that when I am feeling mischievous, and usually only if I know the person..I normally prefer "Thor bless you"...or "Hail Romulus!" . I love bringing up Romulus as I think the majority of the jesus story was stolen from his story, even as he predates jesus by 800 years Big Grin The opportunity to explain that drops seeds of doubt where ever I go Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)