Things I learned about religion...as a lifelong atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 03:51 PM by Adrianime.)
Things I learned about religion...as a lifelong atheist.
So, it's been a while since I've started a thread.

Hello Everybody!

Today I'm just going to casually talk about things that I learned about religion relatively late in the game. I wasn't exposed to religion like most of you guys growing up. It wasn't until recently that I learned even the basics. I think it's at least interesting to see these things I learned, and when I learned them.

I will try to lay them out in order, but this is from memory, and as such will be rough and only as accurate as I can remember.

~Age 15: Jehova's witnesses have a strict laundry list of (the most ridiculous) things that they cannot do.

~Age 20: Many Christians believe that the ticket to heaven is determined by whether or not you are a true believer in Christ (up until this point I honestly thought Christians believed "being a good person" was how to get into heaven).
~Age 20: The disgusting, drug-like qualities of an over the top church service, as well as the uncomfortable feeling of being lied to for an hour+ straight without being able to respond...all the while surrounded by people who believed the lie.

~Age 21: The term "Unequally yoked" and what it meant.
~Age 21: Where in the bible it says homosexuality is bad (Leviticus)

~Age 22: The slew of disgusting and immoral things in the bible.
~Age 22: The incredible amount of ignorance most followers of the bible have to its contents. And the very accurate term "cherry picking".

~Age 23: Some people actually didn't accept evolution (up until this point in life, I didn't even know it was up for question??).
~Age 23: Some people actually had this wacky belief that the earth is less than 10,000 years old. I mean this is stuff I learned back when I watched "The Magic School Bus" for crying out loud.
~Age 23: The facebook "Atheism" page is full of dicks.

~Age 24: The "Abrahamic" connection between Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.
~Age 24: Jehovas witnesses and Mormonism are both types of Christianity.
~Age 24: The terrible, "Get them while they are young." methodology of the church.
~Age 24: Science being attributed to atheism by many atheists. And Science being almost personified by some theists as an entity to attack.
~Age 24: Apparently there is some guy named Richard Dawkins who is a famous atheist?

~Age 24: Online atheist communities that aren't full of dicks actually exist!
~Age 24: Families actually get broken apart because of religion
~Age 25: The touching and sad emotional struggles people have had to go through because of religion.

Edit:
~Age 24: Some people actually believe morality came from their deity??? Shocked me, seriously.
~Age 25: The word, "apologist."
~Age 26: The word, "presuppositional."
I'm sure there is more...but I'll stop for now (I'm 26 now for the record). Anybody else have any semi-shocking late-life discoveries about theism/atheism?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
20-08-2014, 03:27 PM
RE: Things I learned about religion...as a lifelong atheist.
(19-08-2014 02:55 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So, it's been a while since I've started a thread.

Hello Everybody!

Today I'm just going to casually talk about things that I learned about religion relatively late in the game. I wasn't exposed to religion like most of you guys growing up. It wasn't until recently that I learned even the basics. I think it's at least interesting to see these things I learned, and when I learned them.

I will try to lay them out in order, but this is from memory, and as such will be rough and only as accurate as I can remember.

~Age 15: Jehova's witnesses have a strict laundry list of (the most ridiculous) things that they cannot do.

~Age 20: Many Christians believe that the ticket to heaven is determined by whether or not you are a true believer in Christ (up until this point I honestly thought Christians believed "being a good person" was how to get into heaven).
~Age 20: The disgusting, drug-like qualities of an over the top church service, as well as the uncomfortable feeling of being lied to for an hour+ straight without being able to respond...all the while surrounded by people who believed the lie.

~Age 21: The term "Unequally yoked" and what it meant.
~Age 21: Where in the bible it says homosexuality is bad (Leviticus)

~Age 22: The slew of disgusting and immoral things in the bible.
~Age 22: The incredible amount of ignorance most followers of the bible have to its contents. And the very accurate term "cherry picking".

~Age 23: Some people actually didn't accept evolution (up until this point in life, I didn't even know it was up for question??).
~Age 23: Some people actually had this wacky belief that the earth is less than 10,000 years old. I mean this is stuff I learned back when I watched "The Magic School Bus" for crying out loud.
~Age 23: The facebook "Atheism" page is full of dicks.

~Age 24: The "Abrahamic" connection between Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.
~Age 24: Jehovas witnesses and Mormonism are both types of Christianity.
~Age 24: The terrible, "Get them while they are young." methodology of the church.
~Age 24: Science being attributed to atheism by many atheists. And Science being almost personified by some theists as an entity to attack.
~Age 24: Apparently there is some guy named Richard Dawkins who is a famous atheist?

~Age 24: Online atheist communities that aren't full of dicks actually exist!
~Age 24: Families actually get broken apart because of religion
~Age 25: The touching and sad emotional struggles people have had to go through because of religion.

Edit:
~Age 24: Some people actually believe morality came from their deity??? Shocked me, seriously.
~Age 25: The word, "apologist."
~Age 26: The word, "presuppositional."
I'm sure there is more...but I'll stop for now (I'm 26 now for the record). Anybody else have any semi-shocking late-life discoveries about theism/atheism?

I was not really aware of the extent of truly irrational religious belief in the First World, especially among elected government officials, the military, the police.

I would say that I have lived most of my life among intelligent, educated people in the scientific/technology industries and most of my family and friends. These environments are heavily non-religious. I was always rather shocked to find that a colleague was religious, and shocked and saddened when a family member turned out to be.

I lived rather blithely believing that religion was waning and becoming unimportant, but have realized over the years that I was myopic on this.

Places like TTA are like corrective lenses for that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-08-2014, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2014 10:51 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Things I learned about religion...as a lifelong atheist.
(20-08-2014 03:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  I was not really aware of the extent of truly irrational religious belief in the First World, especially among elected government officials, the military, the police.

I would say that I have lived most of my life among intelligent, educated people in the scientific/technology industries and most of my family and friends. These environments are heavily non-religious. I was always rather shocked to find that a colleague was religious, and shocked and saddened when a family member turned out to be.

I lived rather blithely believing that religion was waning and becoming unimportant, but have realized over the years that I was myopic on this.

Places like TTA are like corrective lenses for that.
Thanks for the response Chas,

I can relate to the shock of learning that a colleague or family member is actually religious. Religion wasn't mentioned in my household growing up, so I would think that my siblings would naturally not fall for the religious trap as adults. But I was wrong! Although, I think it has a lot to do with them having children.

Ya know, I like to hope that religion is waning in the first world. I mean, with kids being "connected" at age 7 (internet/data plan access), how could it not be? I fail to understand how an informed mind can consider religious preaching anything more than conviction to a fairy tale.

You are right, TTA exposes so much of the religulousness (Bill Maher, ha!) of the world. It's a real eye opening when I see what many people have been dealing with their whole lives.

My community here in Seattle is mostly "Sunday" or sometimes just agnostic theists mostly, with a good chunk of non-believers apparently. The non-believers around here tend to not speak out much though, because religion is not really part of our culture in the first place. You live outside of the US, correct?

Well, have a good night.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user