Things I want to say (and ask) about American food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Things I want to say (and ask) about American food
Lately I've been searching for awesome recipes and I mainly look on American websites because, of course, they are many. Here are some things I want to say about them.

I honestly do not understand why every single one of the sweet ones I have tried are so extremely sweet. I recently tried making buttercream (which is something we definitely don't make here) for some cupcakes and it turned so nauseatingly sweet that I had to throw it away. Even with less sugar it was simply too heavy. And that was the end of my short affair with buttercream.

I am also amazed by how many recipes there are combining very sweet things with very salty ones. I'm not sure if that's a thing there, but things like bacon jam and chocolate covered potato chips don't sound so nice, even if they are praised as the tastiest thing ever.

Oreos. Seriously, what's up with the craze? Compared to the ones we have here, it's a wonder they are still on the market. I'm pretty sure I've tasted much richer cookies and not so hard as to injure my gums every time I eat them.

In other news, my brother recently went to Boston and he's been there for quite some time. He did enjoy some burgers and donuts, but compared to our cuisine (I'm Greek btw), he plainly told me that the food there sucks Tongue
He tried mac and cheese recently and he was like "I had mac and cheese today. You know what it is? It's what it says. Pasta and cheese. Just that. Seriously. What the hell."

Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something? I'm asking everyone, not just Americans Wink I'm curious because I have never seen any salad as a side dish in any movie and in my country it's almost unthinkable to serve a meal without a salad in the middle of the table. Oh, and we also don't consider anything with mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and stuff a "salad".

And finally, here's a list of things I see in recipes all the time and I have no idea what they taste like:

-Pretzels

-Peanut butter (and you always eat it with sweet things? Isn't that thing salty?)

-Marshmallows

-Worcestershire sauce

-Ranch dressing

-Pancakes (and what's with the huge chunk of butter on top of them? Ew.)

This is the end of my disjointed and possibly offensive post Angel

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
26-11-2013, 02:15 PM
RE: Things I want to say (and ask) about American food
Quote:Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something? I'm asking everyone, not just Americans

Shopska salad is the most usual one here. Are you familiar with it? Don't remember seeing it being served in Greece.

Although what is called Greek salad is almost the same. Consider

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
26-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Oreos - I think it's mostly because they're from our childhood.

Salads - Yes, we eat them. They are on most menus as a side and/or entree.

Mac and Cheese - Your brother gets no points for figuring out the main ingredients as they're in the name. It's tasty if done well but easy to screw up Smile

I live in Boston. If he isn't eating good food he's not going to the right places. We have some excellent restaurants.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
26-11-2013, 02:24 PM
(26-11-2013 01:55 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Lately I've been searching for awesome recipes and I mainly look on American websites because, of course, they are many. Here are some things I want to say about them.

I honestly do not understand why every single one of the sweet ones I have tried are so extremely sweet. I recently tried making buttercream (which is something we definitely don't make here) for some cupcakes and it turned so nauseatingly sweet that I had to throw it away. Even with less sugar it was simply too heavy. And that was the end of my short affair with buttercream.

I am also amazed by how many recipes there are combining very sweet things with very salty ones. I'm not sure if that's a thing there, but things like bacon jam and chocolate covered potato chips don't sound so nice, even if they are praised as the tastiest thing ever.

Oreos. Seriously, what's up with the craze? Compared to the ones we have here, it's a wonder they are still on the market. I'm pretty sure I've tasted much richer cookies and not so hard as to injure my gums every time I eat them.

In other news, my brother recently went to Boston and he's been there for quite some time. He did enjoy some burgers and donuts, but compared to our cuisine (I'm Greek btw), he plainly told me that the food there sucks Tongue
He tried mac and cheese recently and he was like "I had mac and cheese today. You know what it is? It's what it says. Pasta and cheese. Just that. Seriously. What the hell."

Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something? I'm asking everyone, not just Americans Wink I'm curious because I have never seen any salad as a side dish in any movie and in my country it's almost unthinkable to serve a meal without a salad in the middle of the table. Oh, and we also don't consider anything with mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and stuff a "salad".

And finally, here's a list of things I see in recipes all the time and I have no idea what they taste like:

-Pretzels

-Peanut butter (and you always eat it with sweet things? Isn't that thing salty?)

-Marshmallows

-Worcestershire sauce

-Ranch dressing

-Pancakes (and what's with the huge chunk of butter on top of them? Ew.)

I agree about the disgustingly sweet deserts and cakes and pies. Yuck!

Pretzels are Bavarian, German, and they are wayyyyy better in Germany than in the US. Wayyyy. And they are good.

Peanut butter is one of the better US products. Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches are simple, cheap and good. You should try it. Peanut butter by itself is very dry and sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Worcestershire sauce I think is British.

Pancakes aren't bad, and they can be topped with anything.

Marshmellows - in the eyes of the beholder. I never tried roasted marshmellows - you put them on a stick and roast them over fire. It's supposed to be good but I wouldn't know.

Salads can be appetizers or main dishes. Anything can go in a salad.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Never tried toasted marshmallows. Ohmy Shocking Blink

How is that even possible? Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-11-2013, 02:44 PM
(26-11-2013 02:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Never tried toasted marshmallows. Ohmy Shocking Blink

How is that even possible? Weeping

Lack of having an open fire and marshmallows available at the same time? Unsure

Remember, I didn't grow up in this country.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Sadly the only thing I can try is peanut butter and pancakes. The rest don't even exist here Sadcryface

(26-11-2013 02:15 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Shopska salad is the most usual one here. Are you familiar with it? Don't remember seeing it being served in Greece.

Although what is called Greek salad is almost the same. Consider

First time I hear about it! But yeah, it's very similar, I guess since we're next to Bulgaria!

(26-11-2013 02:23 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I live in Boston. If he isn't eating good food he's not going to the right places. We have some excellent restaurants.

Recommendations? Big Grin

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
26-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I dont care what fire is used to roast my 'mallows. As long as they're roasted

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
26-11-2013, 02:51 PM
(26-11-2013 01:55 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something? I'm asking everyone, not just Americans Wink I'm curious because I have never seen any salad as a side dish in any movie and in my country it's almost unthinkable to serve a meal without a salad in the middle of the table. Oh, and we also don't consider anything with mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and stuff a "salad".

I hear you Undergroundp - as an American, I was raised in a household of eastern European immigrants so, I'm kind of with you, opinion wise. Our taste buds are over saturated and don't seem to stand a chance. It's no wonder I have such difficulty introducing people to new, subtly flavored foods - I get the impression they simply can't taste them and they probably can't!

Americans don't seem accustomed to eating salad these days. I do not know why. I think since the 1950s, American households were structured around convenience since both parents began to head into the work force. Quick and convenient meals began to come out of a box or can and Americans became used to not eating fresh produce or things made from scratch which would take time to prepare.

But it is weird - I was raised during this time and I do not remember a time when there was not a salad on my Mother's dinner table.

As for your list -
-Pretzels -
A small bit of twisted German butter bread - if served hot and fresh, they are quite tasty. There is a version sold in a box which is hard like a stick - they are ok, but a bit overly salty.

-Oreos -
I don't understand it either.

-Peanut butter (and you always eat it with sweet things? Isn't that thing salty?) -
It is peanuts mashed up and whipped into a spread it does contain a small amount of salt. It is used as a spread on bread or as an ingredient in other dishes -often cookies. I personally do not eat it with a fruity jam but many do. I just like it on toast.

-Marshmallows -
Sugar sauce folded into sweetened egg whites and formed into soft pillows and rolled into powered sugar. Very very very sweet - I only eat them around a campfire by roasting them individually on a stick near the flames. It's a camping thing, I suppose - I love them - it's an American experience I am actually proud to endorse. Thumbsup

-Worcestershire sauce -
A British sauce made of fermented onions and garlic and a bunch of other spices as well as tamarind. Slightly revolting but also quite tangy and is a sauce to accompany steak.

-Ranch dressing -
Utter crap. People seem to like it, I don't know why.

-Pancakes (and what's with the huge chunk of butter on top of them? Ew.) -
Small, flat bread like cakes made from a batter cooked in a pan. When these small cakes of pan bread are on a plate, they are sometimes stacked with butter and then very sweet syrup is poured on top. I personally do not eat them unless I have access to a toilet within the hour.

- Mac & Cheese -
I make mine with real cheese and a shell shaped pasta. The crap that comes in a box is only to be eaten in dire situations. But yes, it is just pasta and cheese. As an American, you can try to take this away from me... but you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands to get it.

It might just be me but... I think I was raised with a different take on food than many Americans. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
26-11-2013, 02:54 PM
(26-11-2013 01:55 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Lately I've been searching for awesome recipes and I mainly look on American websites because, of course, they are many. Here are some things I want to say about them.

American sweets are way sweeter than other countries'. I like them (because I was raised eating them), but my favorite candy is Mexican candy. Mango or tamarindo candy with lime and chile powder is so good!

Quote:I am also amazed by how many recipes there are combining very sweet things with very salty ones. I'm not sure if that's a thing there, but things like bacon jam and chocolate covered potato chips don't sound so nice, even if they are praised as the tastiest thing ever.
Bacon is ridiculously popular right now. I tried a bacon milkshake once, disgusting! I don't get the salty sweet thing, but most people I know love it. I don't. Please don't ruin my chocolate with some freaking peanuts.

Quote:Oreos. Seriously, what's up with the craze? Compared to the ones we have here, it's a wonder they are still on the market. I'm pretty sure I've tasted much richer cookies and not so hard as to injure my gums every time I eat them.
Blasphemy!!

Quote:In other news, my brother recently went to Boston and he's been there for quite some time. He did enjoy some burgers and donuts, but compared to our cuisine (I'm Greek btw), he plainly told me that the food there sucks Tongue

Mac and cheese is a child's dish or a side dish. What did you think would be in it? Lol
I always add a can of hot rotel when I make it.

Quote:Anyway, here's a question. Do you guys eat salads as a main dish or an appetizer or something? I'm asking everyone, not just Americans Wink I'm curious because I have never seen any salad as a side dish in any movie and in my country it's almost unthinkable to serve a meal without a salad in the middle of the table. Oh, and we also don't consider anything with mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and stuff a "salad".
I don't eat salad with no cheese. Lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, onions, cheese. Yummy. Or add some grilled chicken and it's a whole meal.

Quote:And finally, here's a list of things I see in recipes all the time and I have no idea what they taste like:

-Pretzels I do not like pretzels yuck

-Peanut butter (and you always eat it with sweet things? Isn't that thing salty?) peanut butter is pretty sweet I think. Not salty

-Marshmallows meh they're ok I guess

-Worcestershire sauce it is not good plain but it is good in a lot of recipes

-Ranch dressing awesome

-Pancakes (and what's with the huge chunk of butter on top of them? Ew.) lol I like then with butter